Serpent's Head 2 "Looking for Trouble" unable to launch

After starting up the aircraft and getting clearance to taxi to Cat 3, what's the secret to launch the aircraft?

I request launch from the ground crew but that does nothing, and taxiing into position on the cat does not raise the JBD or engage the launch bar.

Edited by dporter22

• dporter22 changed the title to Serpent's Head 2 "Looking for Trouble" unable to launch

Don`t have an answer to your question, BUT the same happened to me several times when I tried to launch from cat 3. 

So maybe it is a bug. I did not worry, simply changed the cat.

Just to let you know.... it`s not only you.

P.S. it happened to me every time I did land on the carrier and wanted to take off again.

Edited by ex81

What goes up, must come down !

Intel Core i7-8700, 16 GB-RAM, Nvidia GTX 1060, 6 GB GDDR5, 1TB HDD, 500 GB 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD, Windows 10/64, A10-C, Rhino X55, Persian Golf, F/A-18 Hornet

1 hour ago, dporter22 said:

After starting up the aircraft and getting clearance to taxi to Cat 3, what's the secret to launch the aircraft?

I request launch from the ground crew but that does nothing, and taxiing into position on the cat does not raise the JBD or engage the launch bar.

Which version are you using ? Supercarrier or not easy refuel or not?

Edited by Badger633

F/A-18C Campaigns : The Serpent’s Head / The Serpent’s Head 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

On 7/18/2022 at 4:03 AM, dporter22 said:

Supercarrier, easy refuel.

Also, it won't let me do a CV alignment, just displays NO ATT.  Tried INS and AUTO on the ATT switch.

Hi

Have checked it out. There is an issue.

In a proposed update ED was going to introduced a Super Carrier version of the Stennis, at the last minute it had to be withdrawn. Having already updated all missions for new model I had to quickly change them all back.  Unfortunately the 'Super Carrier Easy A2A Refuel' version was missed, the others are ok. So currently in this mission you are flying you have the new Stennis model which does not work if you have Super Carrier.  I have now corrected this and submitted to ED. It may make next update but if not it will be the one after.  Sorry about that but when you have four versions of each mission and last minute updates sometimes one can get missed.

Thanks for the heads up. 

EDIT 21 07 2022  Now fixed in todays update.

Edited by Badger633
Update

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

13 hours ago, dporter22 said:

Copy, thanks for checking.

FYI, CV align doesn't work on the normal Supercarrier version either.

Hi

The ability to align is not a mission scripting aspect but a DCS issue. I have just now checked though and managed to align without any problems  using the Supercarrier version of Mission 3. What procedure exactly are you using?  Make sure you do not release the parking break before the alignment is fully complete. 

On 7/19/2022 at 8:06 PM, dporter22 said:

Simply turning the switch to CV after engine start.

Did you manage to get this sorted? If not send me a track of you trying to align.  It won’t be a mission scripting issue but I may be able to point out the problem.

Edited by Badger633

No, still doesn't work.  I don't have a track but I just follow the checklist which says to set the ATT switch to AUTO and the INS switch to CV.  It then just says NO ATT on the DDI and never starts aligning, so I just select IFA and it aligns.  Not a big deal, but if I understand correctly you're supposed to select CV when operating from the carrier.

1 hour ago, dporter22 said:

No, still doesn't work.  I don't have a track but I just follow the checklist which says to set the ATT switch to AUTO and the INS switch to CV.  It then just says NO ATT on the DDI and never starts aligning, so I just select IFA and it aligns.  Not a big deal, but if I understand correctly you're supposed to select CV when operating from the carrier.

Rightly or wrongly I never touch the ATT switch just leave it on Auto. I start both engines and as soon as I have 65 on both engines select CV. Then immediately select the stored alignment button on the HSI page. Then just wait till the ok message. Once this achieved move to the IFA position.  Really important don’t release hand break until alignment fully complete.

50 minutes ago, dporter22 said:

According to the checklist, selecting a stored heading is an alternate/faster method for alignment and all you should need to do is select CV.  Am I misunderstanding? 

That's correct: using stored heading just reduces total time to finish alignment.  It will align fine just by setting alignment to CV.

EDIT: as Badger has suggested, make sure you aren't releasing the PARKING BRAKE.  Releasing it is the only way I can get what you are seeing.  When you are switching it to IFA in this condition you are actually initiating an In Flight Alignment which is why the timer and alignment starts.  I tried with ATT in Stby, AUTO and INS and it works in all 3 positions.

If it's not this you really need to post a track as you're likely doing something simple wrong that's messing with things.  But I'd almost guarantee it's the parking brake.  Check that it's still in the vertical position when you hop in the cockpit and don't move it from that until you're done aligning.

Edited by rob10

Thanks guys.  I wasn't waiting long enough for the timer to start.  I don't see anywhere in the manual or guides that explains you have to wait 20 seconds for the alignment to start, so I thought it didn't work when it didn't start immediately.

5 hours ago, dporter22 said:

Thanks guys.  I wasn't waiting long enough for the timer to start.  I don't see anywhere in the manual or guides that explains you have to wait 20 seconds for the alignment to start, so I thought it didn't work when it didn't start immediately.

I’d like to think you were in too much of a rush to fly the next mission in the campaign 😄

• Like 1