New Reverb G2 Blue Screen and Desktop Crashes

Komet_82

Hi all

I need your help.

I have a huge problem with my brand new G2 geting into VR fun with DCS.

First I was able to start up the thing and test it a little with WMR and the Steam version for example google earth VR, but when I start up DCS everything goes crazy, it flickers and ends up in a blue screen and desktop crash. From time to time I can make it into my warbird cockpit in DCS before the bluescreen crash. Two days ago I was even able to fly the Bf 109 for 10minutes and it run very smooth and was an awesome experiance. But now  I always have the bluescreen somehen when loading a mission.

I have on my pc: MB: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X / RTX 3080 / 64GB RAM / Ryzen 9 5900X

So from a system point of view i should be good to run this goggle. The only thing I can point out now from what I read in some other posts is the USB-C cable from the headset (from what I can tell I have the V2 cabel, larger box). My motherboard has no USB-C port nor the GPU. On the case front panel I have one (it is conected to the MB) but it does not work with it. So I have to connect the headset USB-C cable with the inbox adapter to a normal usb 3.0 slot in my MB. No Idea if this can cause the problem.

Anyone of you experienced VR pilots have an Idea to help me?

I spent now 4 evenings on this head set to fly 10min. I prefer to spent my time in air at DCS

Thank you all

Best regards

Markus

Check to see if HAGS is enabled (start>settings>system>display>graphics settings), it caused regular blue screen crashes with my G2 under steamvr.

If that solves the issue, then go and read the first post of the openxr thread, it's a must for the G2 🙂

• Like 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

Hi, thanks for the quick reply.

So, HAGS was disabled, I enabled it, restarted the PC and opend DCS. While loading a freeflight mission it quickly went to blue screen but suddenly came back and I was able to fly. When I tried it again I got bluescreen and was thrown out of DCS. It always seems to be a problem during the loading scenes. I can always enter the welcome screen of DCS, with some flickering and then normaly when loading a mission it turns blue, sometimes when I sit in the cockpit.....

Any other ideas what I can do with that piece of equipment?

Thanks alot

Leave HAGS disabled, it doesn't help at all in VR but does cause instability.

Check that the cable is fully seated into the headset, there is a dot on the moulding that should intersect with the housing, if it's out at all then there will be bad connections which could be causing the drops.  It can be pretty stiff to get in but it will go.

small-dot.jpg

My personal choice is to route the cable inside and below the strap frame, that way when the hinge is flexed it doesn't put a harsh kink on the cable just before the plug.  I believe that this is a weak spot/failure point of the cable in use, the HP setup guides instruct to run it over and outside the frame but then it get's kinked to a much tighter radius.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

Just gave it another shot and now it worked again, I was able to do a quick free flight and land the Bf 109.

There were only during the loading section a short blue screen and tilting of the picture and then I was in the cockpit. During the approach I had a bluescreen for maybe 1 second and then it came back and I was able to land. When I closed DCS after the flight I had the bluescreen and it didn't went to the WMR screen. Is that normal?

The cable is exactly as you mentioned, pluged in nice an snug. Gave it as well alittle wiggle during the flight but nothing happend. Very strange issue. Could it be that it is something between WMR and DCS? When I run for example google streetview VR I have no bluescreen issues at all.

Gave HP support a call as well, they want to send me another headset to test, but I think it is not a faulty headset as it works on most applications, manly DCS causing some issues

Thanks for your support

38 minutes ago, Komet_82 said:

Just gave it another shot and now it worked again, I was able to do a quick free flight and land the Bf 109.

There were only during the loading section a short blue screen and tilting of the picture and then I was in the cockpit. During the approach I had a bluescreen for maybe 1 second and then it came back and I was able to land. When I closed DCS after the flight I had the bluescreen and it didn't went to the WMR screen. Is that normal?

The cable is exactly as you mentioned, pluged in nice an snug. Gave it as well alittle wiggle during the flight but nothing happend. Very strange issue. Could it be that it is something between WMR and DCS? When I run for example google streetview VR I have no bluescreen issues at all.

Gave HP support a call as well, they want to send me another headset to test, but I think it is not a faulty headset as it works on most applications, manly DCS causing some issues

Thanks for your support

Komet_82, please have a look at my posts in this thread:  There's a possibility that you're coming up short on USB power.  Flying in DCS usually aggravates that problem because of all of the HOTAS stuff you plug in with that, as opposed to non-flight sim applications that may work fine.  I can't run my G2 on a MB USB port, so I have it plugged into the card that I have listed in the thread.  Works like a champ with that and the G2s USB-C adapter.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Hello

Mh, that really sounds logical. And I actually struggle anyhow in having almost to few USB ports

I will give this defenitely a try. Does this need to be connected to a internal USB port on the motherboard too? Or is ist sufficient with the PCIE and Power?

Many thanks for your help

Best regards

Markus

Assuming it's a pcie USB card it's just a case of put it into an appropriate slot and connecting the power supply to it. It will effectively act the same as the onboard USB ports but with a direct power source.

Komet_82, it is a PCIe card, so it will plug into your PCIe X4 slot on the motherboard.  There is a connector on the inboard side of the card that plugs into a SATA power cable from your rig's power supply.  Then you just plug your G2's USB-C adapter into one of the USB ports on the card and you should be good.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

34 minutes ago, cordite said:

The powered pcie card trick has been needed since the og Rift days.

Those cards vary in quality, but it should work.

Yup.  That's exactly when I installed mine, and it was that exact card that Oculus recommended to everybody back in the day.  Been using the same one ever since.

7 hours ago, Komet_82 said:

Cool, thanks for your help. Just ordered that card, have a good feeling that this could solve the issue. And if not at least I have sufficient USB ports then haha.

Will keep you updated 🙂

Cheers

Good to hear!  Hope it solves all of your issues.

I really think this is the right way. Moved the razer tartarus to the screen USB and it already seems a little more stable. But itstillseems to be a bit unstable, here and then a bluescreen or strange movement in the headset.

But i havent started the openxr stuff so far, guess this willsolve some issues too?

Hope the USB card arrives soon, and as soon as I have the bluescreen removed, I wanne start diding through the openxr topic

I recently had this exact same problem, and after much trouble shooting it turns out that my headset cable had clapped out, I talked to HP and they sent me a new one (literally received it one day later)

I've had it for 3 days now and I haven't had a single crash since.

Might be worth looking into.

Intel Core i9 10850K@ 4.8GHz, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090

G.Skill Trident Z RGB 64GB 3600MHz CL16, MSI MPG Z590 Gaming Plus Motherboard

HP Reverb G2, Winwing Super Libra w/ x F-16EX, Super Taurus, KA-50 Collective, Combat & Take off Panels, StreamDeck XL, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really gettin close in throwing this G2 into a corner or out of the house before even having the chance to really test it in depth.

Finally I recieved the Inateck KTU3FR-5021 USB hub, installed it, different USB devices work on it. But when I plug the G2 on it and wanna startup VR it does not detect the headset.

Driver of the USB hub is installed.

Any suggestions? Thanks for your support

Komet,

Do you have the internal connector on the card hooked up to your rig's power supply?  It is set up to plug directly into a spare SATA power cable if you have one available.  If not, it should have come with an adapter to let you make use of one of your other spare power supply connectors.  It has to have that power supply connection to work properly with a VR headset.  Not trying to over-simplify things.  I had the same thing happen when I first got my card because I hadn't plugged in the power supply connector on it.

Hi

Yes I have hooked it up with the sata directly form the power supply

Is there a way where I can test it in the drivers or somewhere in the system to see if it actually is powered? When I attach my thrustmaster for example on it it lights all the lights of it and works propperly

Thanks

Is it time to talk to HP tech support about a defective headset?

2 hours ago, Komet_82 said:

Hi

Yes I have hooked it up with the sata directly form the power supply

Is there a way where I can test it in the drivers or somewhere in the system to see if it actually is powered? When I attach my thrustmaster for example on it it lights all the lights of it and works propperly

Thanks

When you said the driver of the USB hub was installed, did you mean the driver that was on the disk that came with the card?  If so, I wonder if that might be the problem.  I know they tell you "You MUST install this driver" but I just looked at my rig's Device Manager, and it looks like mine is just using the standard Microsoft drivers for Windows 10.  I think I remember hearing about other people having trouble with the drivers that come with the card.  I never got as far as installing the driver that came with it because it worked right away, except for my mistake of not plugging in the power supply cable at first.  Go to Device Manager and look at everything under Universal Serial Bus controllers (I would scroll down so the heading Universal Serial Bus Controllers is at the top of the window), then, plug in the power cord for your G2s power brick.  You should see the Device Manager window reset itself within a few seconds as it responds to the headset.  If it doesn't, it is probably not a USB issue.  If it does, see if you can find what the new entry is under the Universal Serial Bus controllers.  If you see an Inateck Controller or Hub show up, maybe you can try to update the driver to the generic driver on your computer.  Also, you might have already tried this, but try unplugging all of your other USB devices and see if just the headset will run by itself.  If it still doesn't, then you should talk to HP tech support like Edmuss suggested

• Like 1

I had an Inateck USB PCIe card and my Reverb G1 would not work with the Inateck driver. Reinstalling it and just letting Windows install its drivers worked.

• Like 1

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Wow, finally.

The hint with the driver was the final game winning goal. Thank you all.

Once installed the USB board harware I just installed the official driver from the Inateck Website and it did not work as mentioned. But with your awesome tipp of removing this driver and running it just with the Windows driver. And now it directly detected the headset and I was able to enter DCS and fly with no bluescreen. Had not enough time no to do excessive tests but normally when I switched views or to the map then I often ran into the bluescreen and it made all screen changes now smoothly...... wow, cool, finally removed this bug.

Thank you all for your support.

Guess now it's time to work through the openxr thread😎

• Like 2

Glad you got it working Komet!