F/A-18C - Knots Indicated Airspeed

N0L3R

Hello All,

Can you please help me with this issue?

The KIAS on the HUD (279 Kts) is different from the KIAS shown in the external view (272 Kts). Kindly refer to the attached images.

Does anyone know why there is this discrepancy? I mostly find it confusing when I need to rendez-vous with a Tanker.

20220719111533_1.jpg

20220719111540_1.jpg

Edited by N0L3R

49 minutes ago, N0L3R said:

The KIAS on the HUD (279 Kts)

The HUD airspeed box is CAS not IAS

ref: DCS F/A-18C HORNET Flight Manual Pg.110-111

Edited by pokeraccio
ref

vor 10 Stunden schrieb AngelAtTheTomb:

IIRC the external view is IAS and the HUD is actually CAS, IAS corrected for temp and altitude. Or it's the other way around, I can never remember.

Almost. What you are referring to is called "True Airspeed" or TAS.

The Calibrated Airspeed or CAS is "just" a corrected IAS for known errors from your pitot, usually from pressure differences on the different parts of your airframe while moving through the air (because of how a pitot works, there always are minor instrument errors which fortunately are known on each airframe and therefore can be considered when showing CAS).

Edited by Jel
  • Like 1

When in doubt - climb. Nobody ever collided with air.

I don't aar much because I still have never done it successfully. But I have noticed that the speed and altitude #s provided over the radio by the tanker are never correct. They seem to be + or - 500ft and + or - 30k. I have noticed the same checking the other plane on the F10 map when trying to join on another FA-18 to fly as a pair to a target.

Pressing ctrl+y on external F2 view will show GS

• Like 1

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

18 minutes ago, EAF602 Red said:

Quick observation, if you need to rendezvous with a Tanker, just do a ToT on it

And, if you don't want extra excitement, figure out which way it is going. A head-on rendezvous doesn't really work, and I won't be trying that again... 😲