We're getting the F-4 "Family", what versions do/don't the people want in the future?

Czechnology

Personally I want the F-4J more than the E, and honestly I expect the J to be the next Phantom in the family we get our hands on, just given the fact it differs (speaking very relatively) little from the E model.

My absolute dream would be the G model. Only problem with that is it would have to break a lot of electronic warfare ground I have to wonder if the DCS engine could handle.

Personally really don't care for the much more modern versions. Any of them capable of flinging an AMRAAM I don't care to see. Will never be able to stand tall next to modern aircraft and will be a pariah in most cold war servers, so the modernized German ICE and Greek "Peace Icarus 2000" models.

• Like 2

I think F-4G is still classified because of Wild Weasel stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if it would have been still relevant on today's battlefield, it might have been related due to airframe fatigue and engines being obsolete, not because of the electronics.

The F-4E is good, but I want to fly the F-4D. Satan's Angels livery not optional. 🙂 

• Like 1

A mid E and a late E was by far my most desired Phantoms, so I'm already happy, anything else is a bonus for me that may or may not interest me.

That said, some naval Phantoms are indispensable to complete the legend that is this family even I personally am not as interested in them. But it's highly like Heatblur's next Phantom module in line after the two Es will be a naval Phantom pack, and it doesn't feel too far fetched an assumption that it will also likely include two variants to represent two different states of navy Phantoms, maybe a J and S, may be an early J and a later one, these options would be roughly in line with the time period of E variants. Or perhaps they'll do older things like B or N. I personally think, if it proves possible J and S would be the most interesting package.

British Phantoms are interesting in their own way, but may prove too niche, as well as potentially tricky in finding the necessary information. If they are made though, I will most likely get them, if out of curiosity alone.

F-4G Wild Weasel would be cool too, but EW aircraft in DCS still seems like a bridge too far, for now.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

I am just glad that it "seems" we will be getting a Phantom no matter what model it is...I am not a big fan of the E but I will take it. I wish the first release was a J/S or B/N. Outside the Naval version I would rather have a C/D but I know the reason for them doing the E is many more counties use it and they are the main version still in use.

I believe the first F4 we'd be getting is the E version. So, to have TWICE the fun, carrier landings and all with that old school HUD, it would be better have the other Phantom being the Naval version and Phantom was primarily designed for the Navy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Czechnology said:

What museum?

Can't remember/don't know where it is currently but last I saw it was at Fargo's air museum (special event ergo why I don't know where it currently is), it was a William Tell competition aircraft. As of 2010 it was still flyable, once again not sure if it still is, I live 800ish miles away.

Bellow is not the actual aircraft but an example of how it is painted.F-4 Phantom (USAF) - Detail and Scale

Edited by Zpigman

6 minutes ago, Zpigman said:

Can't remember/don't know where it is currently but last I saw it was at Fargo's air museum (special event ergo why I don't know where it currently is), it was a William Tell competition aircraft. As of 2010 it was still flyable, once again not sure if it still is, I live 800ish miles away.

Bellow is not the actual aircraft but an example of how it is painted.F-4 Phantom (USAF) - Detail and Scale

I know that museum has no Phantom on Display .But there is an F-4D (airfram # 64-0972) on a pedestal at that airport for the ND ANG unit there  119th. Wing. They did fly Phantoms from 1977 to 1990 as part of Air Defense Command.(That is the paint scheme the phantom in the pic is in)....

9 minutes ago, Manhorne said:

I know that museum has no Phantom on Display .But there is an F-4D (airfram # 64-0972) on a pedestal at that airport for the ND ANG unit there  119th. Wing. They did fly Phantoms from 1977 to 1990 as part of Air Defense Command.(That is the paint scheme the phantom in the pic is in)....

Correct, Like I said it was there for a special event in 2010. Not sure where it went after that, I may be able to ask some extended family who live in the area. and you are correct, it is the Happy Hooligans 119th ANG regiment. Sadly they no longer fly fighters, but times change. I need to do more research into where the current plane is, I was too young to know what an airframe number was at the time. 

Edited by Zpigman

After the F-4E models as advertised, I am most excited for a similar vietnam vet/post 'nam combo module - primarily a J and S. 

The F-4 was a navy bird first, so a navy variant would be lovely! A slightly later variant also fits the existing maps we have in DCS as well. 

That being said, if we had a historical S.E.A. map I would be the first and the loudest for F-4C/D and B/N modules! 

• Like 1

https://youtube.com/@thesimnet                                    questions@thesimnet.com 

image.png

1 hour ago, Zpigman said:

Correct, Like I said it was there for a special event in 2010. Not sure where it went after that, I may be able to ask some extended family who live in the area. and you are correct, it is the Happy Hooligans 119th ANG regiment. Sadly they no longer fly fighters, but times change. I need to do more research into where the current plane is, I was too young to know what an airframe number was at the time. 

Hopefully someone will know for you. You may want to contact the museum directly I am sure some there remembers and could tell you where it went. outside of that without knowing the air frame number it will be impossible to know what happen to it. All the F-4's went to the boneyard. Most were converted to QF-4 drones after 1996 and were used as targets until 2016 when the last USAF Phantoms were retired from service. the survivors now are ones of historical significance or ones requested by museums....

M. E is not bad, not too bad at all, but I’m holding out for an M.

or J.

or . . . . Awww crap!?!

ANY! :laugh:

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

hace 39 minutos, Bremspropeller dijo:

The Phantom should be easier in the groove than the Tomcat. That's the overall takeaway I've heard from several people who have flown both.

Interesting. Might buy it. But when you buy all of them you end up sucking flying them all instead of getting good at a few

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Heinlein said:

Interesting. Might buy it. But when you buy all of them you end up sucking flying them all instead of getting good at a few

If we get this Phantom and once I have it I probably will not be flying anything else .LOL....I have waited so long for a Phantom I am afraid it may somehow not even happen...

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Manhorne said:

If we get this Phantom and once I have it I probably will not be flying anything else

I feel the same way - at least for the first little while, I doubt I will fly anything else because I have been waiting so long for this.

I used to fly War Thunder simulator battles (shudder) and the moment they added the Phantom, I didn't fly anything else until I discovered DCS and transitioned entirely. I miss scratching that itch but War Thunder isn't even worth having installed given their business model...

• Like 3

https://youtube.com/@thesimnet                                    questions@thesimnet.com 

image.png

34 minutes ago, _BringTheReign_ said:

I feel the same way - at least for the first little while, I doubt I will fly anything else because I have been waiting so long for this.

I used to fly War Thunder simulator battles (shudder) and the moment they added the Phantom, I didn't fly anything else until I discovered DCS and transitioned entirely. I miss scratching that itch but War Thunder isn't even worth having installed given their business model...

Same here. I have been playing flight sims since the late 1980's and in the early 2000's I stopped because nothing had really advanced much. When War Thunder came out I started playing that. Mainly the Tanks side and then I discovered DCS and never went back. DCS is what I had always wished military flight sims could be like. There is nothing even close to it IMHO....

• Like 2

F-4S

• Like 1

Digital Storm Lynx: i9-10850k (5.2 GHz): 64GB RAM (3200 MHz): 2TB SSD M.2 Samsung 970 EVO: 2TB Samsung HD: GEFORCE 2080 TI: Thrust Master WartHog (modified): TM F-18C joystick: Saitek Rudder Pedals: HP Reverb PRO: Volair Sim Cockpit: Current Stable Version of DCS :thumbup:

IRL Retired Maintainer of the AT-38B: F-4E/G: F-15A/B/C/D: and McDonnell Douglas/Boeing Technical Advisor for the F-15C/D. I drive trains now. :yawn: