Hey folks been a long time since I was here. My old system died on me a year ago. I would like your advice especially on the CPU. I intend to use some of the older stuff. I got a GTX1060 6GB to go along one of the following build components:

CPU

i7 12700F 

Risen 5 5600G

i7 11400F

Risen 7 5300

Mobos

B660M

Z690

B450/550m for AMD

For SSD I have  2TB nvme in mind.

For ram 16gbx2 3200 CL16

psu 700w

Also Win 10 or 11? 

Last I used was win 10 upgrade from a win 7 64bit professional. 

I would like your feedback

thanks

• Like 1

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

One immediate thought is that you're wasting cash on a Z690 mobo, as the F skew intel CPUs won't make use of the Z690 features (overclocking).

If you want to overclock the CPU (which isn't really necessary), you'll need a K skew CPU. The B660 will do just fine, I'd put the extra $$ into a beefier gfx card.  

Everything else will run DCS just fine.

Just my tuppence worth 

Edited by 72Stu
Clarity

5 hours ago, 72Stu said:

One immediate thought is that you're wasting cash on a Z690 mobo, as the F skew intel CPUs won't make use of the Z690 features (overclocking).

If you want to overclock the CPU (which isn't really necessary), you'll need a K skew CPU. The B660 will do just fine, I'd put the extra $$ into a beefier gfx card.  

Everything else will run DCS just fine.

Just my tuppence worth 

thanks for your input. how about base clock and cores/threads? iirc dcs was cpu intensive. has this changed? because I gathered from reading here that cpus with lower base freq perform less in dcs than 3+ghz. 

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

The i7 12700 has the best performance per $$ of any of the Alder Lake CPUs, so you won't have any issues with that whatsoever. I run an i5 12600, which is also a fantastic CPU.

DCS isn't very well optimized and can't utilize more than a couple of cores (many games seem to suffer from this). ED are working on the engines "back end" and this will improve in the near future.

What resolution are you looking to play at WildBill?

Hi WildBill,

Please feel free to send me a PM message and I can advise you on this. Whats the intended purpose of the PC please. If it is for DCS can you tell me the resolution od the monitor you intend to us.

I'll be straight with you, if it is for DCS the GTX 1060 6Gb might need to be the first thing you want to upgrade. DCS is a GPU intensive game now. CPU and clock speed does not matter so much. It is still important.

If I was you take a look at this. AMD 5600x, X570 or B550 for mobo, 32gb DDR4 3200C16, cool the 5600x with a Vetroo V5 air cooler. The GPU upgrade to a Nvidia RTX 3060 or better if you can for DCS on high settings.

Intel is still good and slightly ahead of AMD right now. In my opinion though the lead they have over AMD is not worth what it costs in setup prices energy/watts and heat/temps.

19 hours ago, 72Stu said:

The i7 12700 has the best performance per $$ of any of the Alder Lake CPUs, so you won't have any issues with that whatsoever. I run an i5 12600, which is also a fantastic CPU.

DCS isn't very well optimized and can't utilize more than a couple of cores (many games seem to suffer from this). ED are working on the engines "back end" and this will improve in the near future.

What resolution are you looking to play at WildBill?

I am still unsure but it might change in the near future. I have a quest 2 which I was supposed to use with my old build. I am not sure if the current GPU is acceptable though for VR (even low res VR if I can overlook quality) . For now the res may be 1366*768. I may upgrade to a widescreen curved display in the future.

It would be wise to get a 30 series GPU, or wait and see how the next gen will be priced.

I expect the new stuff to be extortionate, and for people who've been holding off to rush on the glut of 30 series cards. There are some good deals out there at the moment WildBill.

On 7/22/2022 at 2:46 PM, 72Stu said:

It would be wise to get a 30 series GPU, or wait and see how the next gen will be priced.

I expect the new stuff to be extortionate, and for people who've been holding off to rush on the glut of 30 series cards. There are some good deals out there at the moment WildBill.

it looks like I might need to wait yes

On 7/21/2022 at 5:37 PM, Bossco82 said:

Hi WildBill,

Please feel free to send me a PM message and I can advise you on this. Whats the intended purpose of the PC please. If it is for DCS can you tell me the resolution od the monitor you intend to us.

I'll be straight with you, if it is for DCS the GTX 1060 6Gb might need to be the first thing you want to upgrade. DCS is a GPU intensive game now. CPU and clock speed does not matter so much. It is still important.

If I was you take a look at this. AMD 5600x, X570 or B550 for mobo, 32gb DDR4 3200C16, cool the 5600x with a Vetroo V5 air cooler. The GPU upgrade to a Nvidia RTX 3060 or better if you can for DCS on high settings.

Intel is still good and slightly ahead of AMD right now. In my opinion though the lead they have over AMD is not worth what it costs in setup prices energy/watts and heat/temps.

shall I look perhaps into the 6950XT as its fresher and probably beats the 3060 by a long way?

• Like 1

Hi mate,

Thats quite a jump from a 3060 to a 6950xt. As I said on private messaging. If I knew a target budget I could help you more.

Also to know if you want to use VR or the resolution of a flat panel you plan to use

I'm shooting in the dark without that information.

9 hours ago, Bossco82 said:

Hi mate,

Thats quite a jump from a 3060 to a 6950xt. As I said on private messaging. If I knew a target budget I could help you more.

Also to know if you want to use VR or the resolution of a flat panel you plan to use

I'm shooting in the dark without that information.

Hi Bro, I really can't upgrade GPU just yet. Maybe in a couple of months I could. I just want to get a new pc because my old build died a year ago. Yes a whole year without DCS, XP, SBpro,etc... 

Edit 2: I plan on using native 1366*768 resolution with VR.