Clouds at night - graphics issue

I have to don't do much night flying in clouds but just made a mission which involves this……in 2D, I get a nasty effect where the clouds look a bit like smeared oil and you can see distinct layers. It’s only when you are in them or looking through them………

Running Ultra and 2 x MSAA

Is this a know thing? What’s the cause?

Also cloud related but not  night issue, the cloud shadows are great, but underneath or in the shadow, it’s really quite dark…… to the extent that it’s sometimes tricky to see properly, and this can be in the middle of the day! Is this an issue that’s been noted?

thanks

Edited by markturner1960

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

Hi NineLine, I just took some screenshoots, hopefully, you can see what I mean.....On the 2nd one, there is also a weird vertical line artifact on the street lights.....

On re flying the mission , I also noticed a separate issue, that the lights of the other jets engines etc are visible through the canopy rail and cockpit of my jet.....thats picture number 3, but it needs to go under due to file size.

Screen_220721_111747.png

Screen_220721_111915.png

Lights through cockpit issue

Screen_220721_120558.png

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

What do you think? Is it an issue or just how it is at this point?

On 7/21/2022 at 3:13 PM, markturner1960 said:

Hi NineLine, I just took some screenshoots, hopefully, you can see what I mean.....On the 2nd one, there is also a weird vertical line artifact on the street lights.....

On re flying the mission , I also noticed a separate issue, that the lights of the other jets engines etc are visible through the canopy rail and cockpit of my jet.....thats picture number 3, but it needs to go under due to file size.

You might want to add some pointers as I don't see any of described issues on your screenshots.

• Like 2

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Thats really strange, I just looked on the monitor of a different PC at the screenshots and the cloud artifacts I mention do not show...I am wondering if they are a result of the way my monitor on my sim PC displays? IT is a 50 inch Phillips 436M6 @ 60Hz.     You can though see the lights through the canopy rail in the last picture.....left hand side, between the LH and centre mirror, there is a cluster of lights that are the engines of the jets in front. You can see them through the rail. Same thing happens with the whole cockpit.

46 minutes ago, markturner1960 said:

Thats really strange, I just looked on the monitor of a different PC at the screenshots and the cloud artifacts I mention do not show...I am wondering if they are a result of the way my monitor on my sim PC displays? IT is a 50 inch Phillips 436M6 @ 60Hz.     You can though see the lights through the canopy rail in the last picture.....left hand side, between the LH and centre mirror, there is a cluster of lights that are the engines of the jets in front. You can see them through the rail. Same thing happens with the whole cockpit.

Is there a chance you can watch your screenshots on your smartphone and zoom into the areas where you see issues on your big screen? Because here on my end the clouds of your pictures look really nice and I can't see issues.

edit: I went to my 42" PC Monitor and now I understand the effect you are describing. But even on that screen, it seems to be a far lesser issue than that what you seem to see on yours. However the effect also significantly depends on the angle between my eyes and the screen.

edit2:

1.) I just saw that your screenshots are massively compressed, so I doubt my own conclusions a bit.

2.) I just read that you have a Philips 436M6 50", what is a funny coincidence, because my 42,5" monitor is a also a Philips 436M6. Maybe at 50" the viewing angle has more impact?

3.) the lights of the aircraft that shine through the canopy frame on the 3rd picture (that I also see 😉 so you are not crazy): do you have "dots" as labels setting in DCS? I have those and dots are meant to shine through everything.

Edited by Tom Kazansky
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, markturner1960 said:

You can though see the lights through the canopy rail in the last picture.....left hand side, between the LH and centre mirror, there is a cluster of lights that are the engines of the jets in front.

OMG, just found it, you expect people to find it without any hints?

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Yeah, sorry, at that size, it is tricky to see! What do you think? 

14 minutes ago, markturner1960 said:

Yeah, sorry, at that size, it is tricky to see! What do you think?

Like this:

screen.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

What I learned today from my own issues with clouds at night is, that reshade settings that work perfectly at daylight can mess things up pretty badly at night.

• Thanks 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"