Wizard_03

Can someone with more knowledge share some insight in how the DL is implemented in the mudhen? As I understand it should be included in the suite 4 SE we're getting. I'm just wondering what sort of functionality it has in comparison to the hornet and viper? Is it the same, better, worse, different ect. ? 

• Like 1

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

So based on discord to answer my own question I can say D/L information is accessed through what is known as the SIT page. It's similar to the SA page in the hornet but without moving map capabilities. 

The jet doesn't use the same HAFU system the hornet has so D/L symbology is totally separate from ownship tracks like the viper at least for surv contacts from AWACS not sure about Fighter to fighter, and as far as I can tell the datalink information from AWACS, is limited to the SIT page and does not use any sort of MSI system to correlate tracks on the radar page or HMD like the hornet. Again not sure if peer network is different. I have a feeling it might be for the sake of BVR sorting. 

So overall you can get the same sort of information as the other link16 jets but there's less sensor fusion at it requires the pilot to do much of the correlation themselves. Which may not be that big of a deal since the radar we will be working with is much bigger and more powerful then the hornet or vipers so you won't need to rely as much on the D/L as you do in those jets. 

feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. 

Edited by Wizard_03
  • Thanks 2

sounds similar to the jf17 where you get all DL info on your SA page but your radar is something "different" and it doesnt play over, realy good to know tho, cant wait to play AWACS with the powerfull radar on the f15 and share contacts over L16

I'm not sure if Fighter to fighter D/L tracks appear on the radar page. Or if that's just a capability beyond suite 4, the information I found was unclear but apparently many modern aircraft can designate offboard tracks independent of ownship sensors. However regardless the SIT page will provide range and altitude for D/L tracks making it easy to cue the radar to the correct portion of sky. Not as Gucci as the hornet's MSI but it'll get the job done.

But yes in any case F-15E with link16 will have an unprecedented airspace picture for DCS.

Edited by Wizard_03