USAF Real life Light Config Procedures

Raviar

Is there any documentation to show how the lights should get configured and how is the procedures During Startup/Taxi/TO/Navigation/AAR/Landing ... in Day/Night, VFR/IFR, Combat(Before FENCE)/ none-Combat ... if we consider USAF and Nellis AFB

This is how I've been told by experts as of now(I dont want to mention name or Squadron name):

Day:
Before Taxi: Position Light -> Steady - Upon Taxi: Position Light -> Flash
Taxi Light: OFF/ON (Depending on region/AFB/Runway)
Fuselage: OFF
Anti-Collision: Lead: A/B/C - Wingman: 2,3,4
Wing/Tail: BRT

Day TO, Day Landing, Day Navigation: Same as Day

Night:
Before Taxi: Position Light -> Steady - Upon Taxi: Position Light -> Flash
Taxi Light: ON
Anti-Collision: Lead: A/B/C - Wingman: 2,3,4
Wing/Tail: ? (I think DIM just because make more senesce, I might be wrong)

Night TO, Night Landing, Night Navigation: Same as Night

AAR:
Anti-Collision: OFF
Wing/Tail: Day BRT - Night DIM

When do they use DIM and When do they use Fuselage AKA Logo Light ?

Air Force Manual 11-2F-16 Vol.3 details the procedures for flight operations. Night lighting is outlined in Chapter 3, Section 27 for General Night Procedures. Day lighting is not mentioned (more than likely squadron-dependent).

• Like 2

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

11 minutes ago, Tholozor said:

Air Force Manual 11-2F-16 Vol.3 details the procedures for flight operations. Night lighting is outlined in Chapter 3, Section 27 for General Night Procedures. Day lighting is not mentioned (more than likely squadron-dependent).

Thanks for reply, I read that manual before, there is not enough details such as DIM/BRT config as well as Fuselage light usages and config , however there is a line which mentioned Fuselage light, but still its not clear how the config should be 
null

image.png

I guess the answer is, as often, "it depends".

The following should work as a general baseline:

For landings, you would typically want the landing light on instead of the taxi light, for the takeoff, again, "it depends".
If you are landing at a civilian airport, the taxi or landing light should be on for visibility while taxiing (military aircraft are obviously not regulated by the FAA, but there is a reason they require it for civilian aircraft, so it's probably a good idea).
Wing/tail is normally on. The wingtip and wing/tail lights are often kept on steady while the aircraft is standing still and being serviced by the ground crew (preflight checks, removing pins, etc.), and would be set to flash before moving the jet.
The fuselage light only lights up the tail fin, so if you want people to be able to read the tail codes, turn it on.

DIM/BRT is mostly a question of visibility during IMC operations (clouds, fog) and night operations, especially with night vision equipment, because that doesn't work too well with bright lights. Same for strobe lights.

For combat, lights dark or covert, as briefed.

Some squadrons will also keep the anti collision light off until some point during the taxi, others will have it on before starting the engine, everyone says something else, it seems there is no standard for any of this.

Don't know of any document either, let us know if you find one 😁

Anyhow, it's DCS, so whatever makes the most sense in the game environment for the kind of mission you're on is probably what you should agree on among the members of your flight, so everyone knows what's going on.

I have copies of several F-16 squadron standards documents, and it varies squadron to squadron. I've also had F-16 guys tell me how they've gotten yelled at in debrief for not having the lights set per the standards when in the arming area.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Dances, PhD

Jet Hobo

https://v65th.wordpress.com/