Need recommendation for a gaming laptop

Currently, I'm looking for a suggestion to purchase my gaming laptop. I have already checked out some good devices from Asus and Lenovo, but I'm in confusion about which one should I take. I couldn't decide yet because I don't have enough knowledge in this area. Below I have included what specs should have on my new laptop and the game lists, Which I want to play without frame dropping or other issues. Please check and suggest to me the best one

Spec's Requirements:

Processor: Core i7, i9 or Ryzen 7, 9

Display: FHD / OLED

Storage: At least 1 TB

RAM: At least 16 GB

Graphics: Nvidia GeForce RTX3050TI at least

Game lists:

World War
GTA 5
FIFA 22
Ever Quest
The Witcher 3
Dying Light
Hitman 3
half-life alyx

Is this site providing Zephyrus g14 legal price, caused I have faced some issues on price with our country reseller, they're asking too much price than the official price. Should take from here, I am also seeking this advice

https://mcsolution.com.bd/laptop/asus/rog-zephyrus/g14/

Hope I will receive my best suggestions from the DCS community. Thanks in advance

• Like 1

Hello @rkric258! Welcome to the awesome DCS family.

I'm going to be "that guy" and ask....Are you limited to a laptop? If you are stuck for space, SFF PC's will be your best bet.

Small form factor gaming PC's will better allow you to run the VR games you listed, as water cooled components can be incorporated into the rig.

I run a water cooled i5 12600 and a B660I mobo with a gtx3080, all in a NR200P MAX case. That is 18.3 litres volume, and you can go down to 11 or so with different case options.

I can run HL Alyx (the best gaming experience I have ever had) at 90 fps and use OpenXR toolkit in MSFS and DCS, for 65 plus, map dependent ofc.

If you absolutely need a laptop, then you won't be getting a good VR experience, cooling that hardware will be an issue!

Edited by 72Stu
  • Like 2

Depending on the game, you can loose performance.  So unless you have to have a laptop, you are better off with a desktop.

This video is a year old,  but shows the drop in performance.

I will be very curious to see what they do for cooling with the 40 series cards in a laptop.

• Thanks 1

I second the above threads, a laptop will always be TDP limited. If you can, get the smallest FormFactor you can live with, water-cool whatever is possible and you will likely be faster and cheaper.

If you really need a laptop, buy one that offers a LONG warranty period and get that on day 1. The heat puts a lot of stress on the device and they are bound to fail and hard to fix.

Asus for example wants you to send the laptop to their repair store, expect 4-8 weeks. Dell comes to your home NBD. There are BIG differences when it comes to how nice warranty is handled. I for one won't go the Asus route again, been there twice, Dell/Alienware is way way faster to get you going again. Just my experiences with laptops and Extended Warranty Contracts.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I'm kinda curious why your asking for PC advise on a DCS forum when DCS isn't even in your game list...🤔

Modules: F-14A/B | F-15C | F-16C | F/A-18C | SU-33 | Spitfire Mk IX | AH-64D | UH-1 | Super Carrier | Combined Arms | Persian Gulf | Syria | NTTR

Setup: VKB Gunfighter Mk.III F-14 CE HOTAS | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | MFG Crosswind V3 | Custom switch panel | Tek Creations F14 Display Panel | Custom F14 Left Vertical Console | Custom IR Tracker | Custom butt kicker

PC: i7 11700K | 64GB G-Skill DDR4 3600MHz | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | DCS dedicated 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD | 3440x1440 144hz 34" ultrawide

get this one jayztwocents talks about seems like a killer setup if you really want a laptop..

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

I have the Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 AMD 6900 with the AMD 6700s.

The laptop replaced my core i7 10850 1080ti desktop PC. Why? Because I travel and it is awesome to just unplug the external monitors and walk away.

I have to say that it is fantastic. DCS with high settings runs 80-110fps on a 32" 2k (USB C to DP adapter) monitor. That is with two additional 1080 ( HDMI and USB C to HDMI adapter) monitors plugged in.

It came with 16gb DDR5 and I bumped it up with a crucial 32gb DDR5 chip for 40gb (8 is soldered to the mb). Also upgraded the one TB M.2 4.0 to 2TB M.2 4.0 and use the 1tb as an external drive for file storage and install all my utility apps there. I have a 512 Micro SD card plugged into the slot for my steam games install. The internal m.2 is reserved for DCS.

I do not regret it at all 

EDIT: Took a look at your join date, post count and the fact that you never replied...makes me wonder if that link you posted is some type of scam or phishing attempt 🤔

Edited by Miles Vorkosigan
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Miles Vorkosigan said:

I have the Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 AMD 6900 with the AMD 6700s.

The laptop replaced my core i7 10850 1080ti desktop PC. Why? Because I travel and it is awesome to just unplug the external monitors and walk away.

I have to say that it is fantastic. DCS with high settings runs 80-110fps on a 32" 2k (USB C to DP adapter) monitor. That is with two additional 1080 ( HDMI and USB C to HDMI adapter) monitors plugged in.

It came with 16gb DDR5 and I bumped it up with a crucial 32gb DDR5 chip for 40gb (8 is soldered to the mb). Also upgraded the one TB M.2 4.0 to 2TB M.2 4.0 and use the 1tb as an external drive for file storage and install all my utility apps there. I have a 512 Micro SD card plugged into the slot for my steam games install. The internal m.2 is reserved for DCS.

I do not regret it at all 

EDIT: Took a look at your join date, post count and the fact that you never replied...makes me wonder if that link you posted is some type of scam or phishing attempt 🤔

Thanks for your recommendation.  I also think G14 will be the better option in this price range, but I am worried about the price, still I can't verify is it legal price or not.

On 7/22/2022 at 6:05 PM, NoCoolName66 said:

Depending on the game, you can loose performance.  So unless you have to have a laptop, you are better off with a desktop.

This video is a year old,  but shows the drop in performance.

I will be very curious to see what they do for cooling with the 40 series cards in a laptop.

Thanks for sharing @NoCoolName66

Edited by rkric258

• 4 weeks later...

The best gaming laptop is all about performance, protability, and price. The spin of the Razer Blade 15 once again improve on one of the best gaming laptops ever made. The Razer Blade 15 is the latest refresh of the iconic gaming laptop, chock full of high-powered hardware that offers fantastic gaming performance. It is very silm and light weight laptop.

CPU:                 Up to Core i9 12900H

GPU:                 Up to Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti 

RAM:                 Up to 32GB DDR5

Battery:             80Wh

The „light & thin“ actually speaks against it.

Cooling capacity needs some mass and volume to work consistently. Otherwise things get heatloaded pretty quick and start to throttle.

I don’t think there are major exceptions to this physical limit.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

6 hours ago, david william said:

The best gaming laptop is all about performance, protability, and price.

The best gaming laptop is one that won't fry itself. Decent performance comes at the cost of heat and being unable to run on battery. You must plug a gaming laptop into the wall to game more than 30-40 minutes. ''Portability'' is borderline irrelevant. It's not got separate keyboard and monitor, that's all that matters.

The spin of the Razer

Razer, generally, sucks in my experience.

It is very silm and light weight laptop.

IE very poorly suited to purpose.

CPU:                 Up to Core i9 12900H

GPU:                 Up to Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti 

RAM:                 Up to 32GB DDR5

Battery:             80Wh

These specs with above mean ''extremely prone to overheating and a very poor choice'', no amount of marketing and vrand recognition can change physics and thermal properties.

• Like 1

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

• 3 months later...

The relevant bit is GPU. If you aren't trying to do 4k on your tiny laptop monitor (I recommend 1440p or 1080p) then you can readily get a decent laptop for about $1,000 give or take. $3,000 is ultra high end bells and whistles, and a bit pointless on a at most 17'' screen.

For reference, I got my wife a 15'' Asus 1080p with 2060 and it can run DCS with all settings maxed. So it depends on what specifically you want to do. Stay away from 4k and you won't need to spend very much.

• Like 1

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2