Pricing - An opinion.

Rudel_chw
Go to solution Solved by BIGNEWY,

Hi all,

Well, the module is now on the shop: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/modules/mirage/

To be honest, I was looking forward to getting this module on day one .. but I never expected that it wouldn't have at the very least an Early Access discount 😞

I know that it's got 4 variants and lots of skins, but even so I find the price a bit excesive .. I was expecting a price similar to the Mirage 2000, not something like the Tomcat's.

I will most likely purchase it anyway, both because I like the aircraft, the era, and I want Aerges to suceed .. but I feel that this pricing is a mistake on their part, as it will undoubtedly make a lot of DCS users to think twice before purtchasing it .. and that in turn will mean there will be fewer players to fly it on the MP scene,  which will diminish its appeal for the MP crowd.

Let's hope I'm wrong and the aircraft will still sells well, as I wish the developers all the best.

Eduardo

Edit: Well, what a relief .. just saw that the store is now discounting the price by 20%, to US$64 ... 👍   ... that's a much more palatable price, thank you Aerges 🙂

Edited by Rudel_chw
Module price adjusted 10 minutes after it appeared on the store.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

13 minutes ago, Foogle said:

I see an early access discount, 63.99 instead of 79.99.

When the Module first appeared on the ED store there was no discount, just the full US$80 price. I'm glad that it now has a 20% discount ... just purchased my copy 🙂

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

In my opinion DCS modules still wouldn't be overpriced if they were priced at € 150 each, but that's just me. Look at what you're getting for it, and the amount of hours of fun: DCS modules are still priced far better when you look at price per flight hour compared to any game out there (price per hour played) including single-player RPGs.

• Like 4
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

While I understand that pricing can be a a huge obstacle for some... I consider myself very lucky to not be in that position currently and also this plane is a dream come true for me. Since I was 8 years old I have been having wet dreams about this jet.

• Like 3

For those who just wanted a single version of the F1, I can see why the pricing might be steep and not totally worth it considering they wanted a cold war plane whose price is on par with other cold war planes in DCS, however, I believe the end product itself deserves to be priced at 80$ (granted it is of good quality) because the four versions would indeed require quite a lot of work from the developer (I'd guess), you'd need to model a second cockpit for the BE, change some avionics in the EE and change a whole lot of stuff for the M (new hud, mfd, and a boatload of other systems). So in that aspect I do believe this product's price is just like any other in DCS, for some it's worth it because they are interested in the plane for others the opposite, in any case, to me, the price would probably be equally proportional to the work being done by the dev as the other DCS modules.

• Like 5

Full fidelity su27/mig29 ?

44 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

When the Module first appeared on the ED store there was no discount, just the full US$80 price. I'm glad that it now has a 20% discount ... just purchased my copy

No "Early Access" discount on Steam = no F1 purchase.

I can wait, there's plenty more attractive modules due before the end of the year (F-4 and F-15E I'm looking at you).

• Like 1

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

29 minutes ago, Kokomakak said:

While I understand that pricing can be a a huge obstacle for some... I consider myself very lucky to not be in that position currently and also this plane is a dream come true for me. Since I was 8 years old I have been having wet dreams about this jet.

I'm basically in dire straits constantly and it ain't getting better within the last few years due to obvious reasons, but at least I can still pay for DCS modules! rdlaugh.png

Had to find my wallet first though, it was anxiously hiding in a place I didn't expect it to mlp-lfun.png

My first thought was (discount was visible already): Oh, 80 full price for this bird might be much... but then I re-realized they'll bring another 3 versions, of which especially the last one will have some significant differences IIRC. And with the discount, it was fair enough. The only thing I could gripe about is the current excange rate of my local currency (a year ago that would have been somewhere around 10-15€ less), but that's force majeure.

Edited by Eldur
  • Like 1

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Its the same price DCS site as the Apache but on Steam where I have enough credit to buy it, but I  won't, because it's now the price of 2 AAA games and its more if not less technical quality of that of the M2000. Love to know whose socks they been sniffing for that price. I will wait for a 50% discount or never buy it. As a South African. We been so excited for this module to do Angolan War scenario's, but I love DCS but I'm also not stupid. 

Edited by Viper ZA
  • Like 1

If this is $80 imagine what the Eagle/EF/F4 is going to be prized at!! The days of the $80 top tier price is gone!!! Sad day!!!

I'm South African and the F1 is a  HUGE nostalgic  icon for us and our airforce but I will not be buying this one, even at the current discount.

• Like 1

With the price of ammunition these days do not expect a warning shot.

25 minutes ago, RogueRunner said:

The days of the $80 top tier price is gone!!! Sad day!!!

To be honest, the same inflation thing is happening with all other consumer goods too ... look at the gasoline at 2 euro per liter, or the flour which has increased 100% in just 6 months .. don't know how it is on your country, but on mine it's not real to expect prices to remain fixed .. and ED module prices have increased less than the average .. on 2011 the A-10C (then the premier DCS module) costed US$ 40 when not in sale .. so a 100% increase over 11 years does not seem excesive to me.

• Like 2

I think we need to remember that everytime we buy a module you also pay a bit for the base game. Thats how it works. With the all work that goes into all components of this platform, I'm ok with spending a bit on it. It's a much preferable option to a subscription.

Edited by Hoirtel
  • Like 4

50 minutes ago, jurinko said:

You guys are like ferrari owners complaining about gas price. 

Yeah, this sort of thing is just ridiculous. ''Gib moar free, plz'' @@ As for price putting people off... No. It doesn't. It hasn't for the last 25 modules and it won't for this one. If money's so tight for you that a 10-20% discount is a make or break for you, maybe reassess your spending priorities. If it's just ''I'm cheap'' well, that's nobody else's concern.

In short

BOOOOOOOOOO

Edited by Mars Exulte
  • Like 4

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

1 hour ago, jurinko said:

You guys are like ferrari owners complaining about gas price. 

I do not think so. You want to tell me the Mirage is on the same level as the tomcat? No freaken way! That's the issue I have. And the 4 different version argument also do not really fly. 95% of that is cosmetic where only the M would be vastly different. I really believe the Mirage F1 is way overpriced. This discount price should have been the full price, max  $70.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

With the price of ammunition these days do not expect a warning shot.

6 minutes ago, RogueRunner said:

And the 4 different version argument also do not really fly. 95% of that is cosmetic where only the M would be vastly different.

Sorry, I don't agree .. having a two seat version is quite an acomplishment, not even the L39 has the two cockpits fully synchronized yet (not sure about the C-101)  .. imagine being able to teach a friend how to fly this jet while both are seating on it ... it will be the first supersonic trainer on DCS.

• Like 7

This is only my opinion, but the Mirage F1 is well made but does not meet my expectations at all. I find the plane limited and owning the mirage 2000 which has just received a very high quality update, I know that I will never buy this plane. For the price it's debatable but I find it too expensive for what it is. Also having the f14 and the f18 I would have preferred a Dassault Super-Étendard or a SEPECAT Jaguar. Hopefully this cold war period of aircraft production passes quickly. The eurofighter seems to me a good choice but it will have to wait.

• Like 1

Guys, for 80€ you can't even fill up your car completely in Spain (and in Europe in generally) nowadays... 

Seems like a top quality module to me, I'll get it as soon as I get home.

Arguing about the price now is a bit rude, creating a module like this is huge amount of work and obviously not a get rich quick scheme for devs. It's very unfortunate, that some might not be able to afford it, but a thread like this is not the proper solution. Just wait for a discount if you need to...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, HWasp said:

but a thread like this is not the proper solution

I started the thread because the ED Store at first had this Module at full price, with no discount, which frankly seemed to me like a wrong move on the part of the developers. This was corrected later, so I will ping @BIGNEWY to see if he can close this thread so as not to confuse the users.

• Like 1

I was surprised to see the full price on launch too but knowing the Aerges team and what they can do I just went ahead and paid it.  I am probably not the only one that got caught in that little mixup.  In any case, I think the module is worth the price even without the discount.  

"not even the L39 has the two cockpits fully synchronized yet (not sure about the C-101)" - Eduardo

Yeah, the C101 synchronized controls is pretty nice.  I have done some dual flying with it and it works well.

5 hours ago, RogueRunner said:

I really believe the Mirage F1 is way overpriced.

Then don't buy it, Jesus. First world problems in this thread, and even by that standard this whole thread is stupid.

• Like 4

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

10 minutes ago, Mars Exulte said:

Then don't buy it, Jesus. 

That attitude is short sighted because if you just tell your customers, or in this case you tell their customers for them, not to buy it then you don't have any customers or rather very few customers. If 10,000 people are willing to pay $80 but 100,000 are willing to pay $60, what price point actually made you more money. $800k vs $6 mil.

Any criticism is valid as long as it's constructive. It's not first world problems, it's just good business to listen to your customer base. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Andurula said:

I was surprised to see the full price on launch too but knowing the Aerges team and what they can do I just went ahead and paid it. 

Contact ED support, I heard @BIGNEWY said that the people affected would get a refund.

• Like 1