how to perform an aerodynamic breaking with the F1 ?

cmbaviator

I imagine you don't.  You want to get all three wheels down sharpish so you can start slowing with the braking 'chute.

Of course, if your SOP says no 'chute, then aerobraking will make more sense.

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

Page 108 of the manual says:

After touchdown: i ̴ 13°. It is advantageous to use aerodynamic braking by holding the nose
high down to 120 kts.

I haven't landed it all that many times yet, but I haven't had much trouble holding the nose high after touchdown, although it does seem to want to touch the nose gear initially.  I've found that retracting the flaps keeps it from wanting to take off again, but that may just mean I'm landing too fast.  I do agree that the drag chute is the way to go though, the brakes aren't terrible but they're not great either, and even with aerobraking it can be a long runout on landing.  But the drag chute works great.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, SlipHavoc said:

Page 108 of the manual says:

After touchdown: i ̴ 13°. It is advantageous to use aerodynamic braking by holding the nose
high down to 120 kts.

I haven't landed it all that many times yet, but I haven't had much trouble holding the nose high after touchdown, although it does seem to want to touch the nose gear initially.  I've found that retracting the flaps keeps it from wanting to take off again, but that may just mean I'm landing too fast.  I do agree that the drag chute is the way to go though, the brakes aren't terrible but they're not great either, and even with aerobraking it can be a long runout on landing.  But the drag chute works great.

yes you can do aero braking but i can't do it without the nosewheel touching the ground first

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cmbaviator said:

Not impossible.  I did it once.  Granted it was by accident and I haven't been able to do it again since, but I did do an aerobraking maneuver.  

I believe I was going in around 130kts.

Edited by agamemnon_b5
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The key to prevent the nose to come down and perform a correct aerodynamic braking is to be in the correct position at touchdown. According to  the pattern diagram  at short final you keep rpm above 7000 / i 10 deg  speed / ~ 150 kts (typical landing weight 8700kg / 1000lt fuel remaining). Just before the touchdown you flare the ac by bringing the nose up so that you have the  I  at 13 degr and after the main gear comes on the runway you throttle  back to idle. This stick  aft input raises the nose so that the runway in front of you is almost not visible ( you have to raise also the seat and lean forward for better visibility). As a result  the ac is already in a perfect position to perform the aero braking , slight  aft input  on the stick is then required to maintain that position. If you don' t raise the nose sufficient  just before the touchdown or if  you  are   to slow the nose landing gear will come  come down quickly. 

Edited by jaguara5
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 7/22/2022 at 9:57 PM, cmbaviator said:

I was wondering how to perform an aerodynalic breaking with the F1 because as soon as the main wheel touches down, the nose to th F1 severly goes down ?

This is something I've noticed to some degree or another in every DCS module, ED or 3rd party, perhaps excluding the F-15C and F-16C, though the latter still wants to drop a bit on touchdown. It just takes practice to catch the nose and modulate the stick to keep it there without overrotating.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nealius said:

This is something I've noticed to some degree or another in every DCS module, ED or 3rd party, perhaps excluding the F-15C and F-16C, though the latter still wants to drop a bit on touchdown. It just takes practice to catch the nose and modulate the stick to keep it there without overrotating.

Every plane with tricycle gear has the CG fore of the main gear. If you land hard enough a moment will push the nose down. It's all about landing gently, though that doesn't mean that the suspension model might be off on some modules.

• Like 2

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

10 minutes ago, Exorcet said:

It's all about landing gently, though that doesn't mean that the suspension model might be off on some modules.

Or the rubber/pavement physics model. I remember a lot of debate regarding the warbirds on that, and certain modules seem heavier or lighter than they reportedly should be in terms of required thrust for taxi, etc. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Exorcet said:

Every plane with tricycle gear has the CG fore of the main gear. If you land hard enough a moment will push the nose down. It's all about landing gently, though that doesn't mean that the suspension model might be off on some modules.

So far, when it comes to Difficulty on aerobraking for DCS planes:

This plane is doable, when you get it to angle on Yellow on AoA, easier to hold the aerobrake nose up. It is easier when lightly loaded. If loaded, can be bit hard. 

The impossible model in DCS is F-18, unless you put flaps to half, you just cannot aerobrake (I've seen Finnish pilots do it). The second most hardest is Mig 21 and 3rd, the Tomcat.

7 hours ago, Exorcet said:

This. It's simple physics. I've never had trouble with landing tricycle planes in any sim, and DCS is no different. If you are having problems landing planes in DCS World, 99% it's on the pilot and not the flight model. 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

On 7/29/2022 at 1:25 PM, cmbaviator said:

The "secret" is the vertical speed. It's as Lurker said - simple physics. When you slam the center of gravity into the ground, its inertia will rotate the jet around the MLG and slam the nose wheel into the ground. I'm not saying that it is easy - certainly not for me.

• Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

This. It's simple physics. I've never had trouble with landing tricycle planes in any sim, and DCS is no different. If you are having problems landing planes in DCS World, 99% it's on the pilot and not the flight model. 

The issue is not landing correctly but maintaining the AoA on touch down, on the mirage F1 or F18, as soon as you down down and even with a kiss lànding, the nose wheel steering slams the runway big time

• Like 2

17 hours ago, cmbaviator said:

The issue is not landing correctly but maintaining the AoA on touch down, on the mirage F1 or F18, as soon as you down down and even with a kiss lànding, the nose wheel steering slams the runway big time

That's the beauty of scientific theories. They are falsifiable. You only need one counter proof to negate them.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

6 hours ago, Giskvoosk said:

Have been shamefully slamming on touchdown since day 1, here's my first attempt in a more gentle manner. There's a dip but feels totally manageable.

https://imgur.com/HJOPYdD

IRL aerobraking from hud cam view:

thats what i was expecting from the F1 module. its currently not the case. besides;, whuch varian tis that ? the HUD symbology is more modern compared to what Aerges has modelled

21 minutes ago, cmbaviator said:

thats what i was expecting from the F1 module. its currently not the case. besides;, whuch varian tis that ? the HUD symbology is more modern compared to what Aerges has modelled

French speaking pilot + colored hud tape, I guess its an F1CT, or CR, in french service.

And its doable for sure i did one in the first run, check the imgur link above. The key point as others have already suggested is to control your vertical speed before touchdown.

Edited by Giskvoosk