Just noticed new rocket with RC M433 fuse.

DmitriKozlowsky

• ED Team
2 minutes ago, DmitriKozlowsky said:

Seems it is a radio proximity fuse . Possibly for detonation delay AG and airborne targets.

It's not. It's a timed-delay fuse based on the WPN page settings.

• Like 1

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

What I found on the internet about it: it's a cockpit programmable delay fuse and is supposed to be used penetrate the forrest canopy of wooded areas. I.e. the fuse detects hitting branches, but delays the action for some ms in order to get rocked closer to the ground.

There is also an other option that is supposed to delay the action after penetrating light cover, i.e. (wooden) roofs of dug out shelters.

• Like 1

• ED Team
15 minutes ago, DmitriKozlowsky said:

I see time delay impact fuse. Proper target is infantry or vehicles behind cover of building or wall. So proper fuse/rocket type for anti-helicopters is MPP?

The M282 is a different type of penetration warhead for hardened targets like bunkers/buildings, but is not in common use by the regular US Army.

There are no anti-helicopter munitions for the DCS: AH-64D.

• Like 2

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

• ED Team
1 minute ago, Poptart said:

Does it work? Will it ignore trees if we shoot objects behind them?

I couldn't tell you at this time, I haven't had a chance to thoroughly play with them.

• Like 1

DCS Rotor-Head

• 3 months later...
Am 22.7.2022 um 16:23 schrieb DmitriKozlowsky:

Seems it is a radio proximity fuse . Possibly for detonation delay AG and airborne targets.

I think, at least according to the manual this thread mixes two different types.

The M229 HE (the 17 lb. enlarged warhead) has the M423 (PD) Point Detonating "on impact" fuze and the M433 (RC) Resistance Capacitance delayed "after impact/hitting" fuze with a fixed delay time. That's basically the big brother of the standard M151 HE.

Then there is the M282 MPP mentioned that has a hardened tip optimized for penetrating light armor, bunkers, maybe buildings etc. with a "modified" M423 fixed delay fuze?

The not yet(!) implemented M261 MPSM and M255A1 Flechette should use the variable time M439 fuze, that allows the pilot to control the submunition release, similar to the HOF in the CBUs.

If I looked it up correct, non of the rockets used on the AH-64D at the simulated period uses a M429 proximity fuze.

EDIT: I am pretty curious to see the M255A1 Flechette. From what I've read the timed delay in conjunction with the desired "spread" requires some coordination and precise parameters, to ensure the rockets burst at the planned distance.

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

• ED Team

Correct, no proximity fuzes.

The M423 is indeed point-detonating which is normally what would be used for the M151 and M229 HE warheads, or the M156 WP target marking warhead.

The M433 is an impact-triggered delay fuze that can be programmed from the cockpit with different delays, and can be equipped on the M151 rockets in DCS: AH-64D. Technically they could also be equipped to M229 rockets in real-life, but I don't know if that configuration was ever actually used.

The M439 on the M261, M264 and M255A1 rockets isn't directly configurable by the crew, it's automatically sent to the rocket based on the range that exists at the moment of launch, so that the rocket deploys at the optimum moment. The crew just aims and fires, the aircraft does all the math.

The M442 fuze is a fixed time delay for the illumination rockets just like how they work on the other DCS modules like the A-10C.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

DCS Rotor-Head

vor 22 Stunden schrieb Raptor9:

The M439 on the M261, M264 and M255A1 rockets isn't directly configurable by the crew, it's automatically sent to the rocket based on the range that exists at the moment of launch, so that the rocket deploys at the optimum moment. The crew just aims and fires, the aircraft does all the math.

That's great, so I need to care only about alignment and constant speed. That's easier than I thought. Thanks for the info. 👍🏻

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)