[FIXED] Help Me, Alternators failing!

dudeman17

Had this happen last night and just went out to reproduce. not sure what I'm doing wrong or if there's a bug. 

Loaded up MP on Marianas map, 3 bags and two AIM-9JULI, (happened with other weapons last night) 

Started up, all lights extinguished, takeoff in burner up to 10kft, drop to mil and climbed to 28k, set Autopilot ALT/HDG and Engine at 8k RPM, 30 minutes from startup, I loose ALT 2, as soon as this happened I turned around and flew back the way I came. 30 minutes later, ALT 1 drops and my aircraft is dark, engine is still running. 

Last night i was slow and methodical, and gingerly cruised home with no issues. Today i had well over 4000kgs of fuel so i decided to use the burner to get myself oriented to the airfield. engine died after a few seconds, ( i suspect the intakes didn't move due to electrical)

Still very new to the aircraft but this is consistent. no idea what I'm doing wrong or if perhaps its a bug. Please help!

Edited by Vibora

ASUS ROG Strix X570-E MB | Ryzen 9 5950x | ASUS Tuf RTX 4080 | 64 GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 MHz DDR4 | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | Track IR 5 | Gigabyte M27Q-P 1440p 165hz |

Page 116 of the manual:
Alternators.PNG

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

This is extremely useful, however unless I'm reading it wrong my 28k ft and roughly 330kt speed should have been no issue. at no point in the flight after takeoff was I below 300 or above 30kft

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Strix X570-E MB | Ryzen 9 5950x | ASUS Tuf RTX 4080 | 64 GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 MHz DDR4 | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | Track IR 5 | Gigabyte M27Q-P 1440p 165hz |

Just now, dudeman17 said:

This is extremely useful, however unless I'm reading it wrong my 28k ft and roughly 330kt speed should have been no issue. at no point in the flight after takeoff was I below 300 or above 30kft

You and me both actually, as I had this happen to me just an hour ago :wink:
Were you able to get the alternator back working again? Because I was not.

• Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

While I would have no idea the proper way of troubleshooting the alternators. I flipped the switches, ensured no circuit breakers had popped. and just in general scanned the pit for something out of the ordinary. No luck. 

For the one that made it home it also would not repair once I'd shutdown. likely another bug similar to the f-14 flaps not constituting a repair as of a few updates ago. (don't know if that's still valid.)

43 minutes ago, dudeman17 said:

While I would have no idea the proper way of troubleshooting the alternators. I flipped the switches, ensured no circuit breakers had popped. and just in general scanned the pit for something out of the ordinary. No luck. 

For the one that made it home it also would not repair once I'd shutdown. likely another bug similar to the f-14 flaps not constituting a repair as of a few updates ago. (don't know if that's still valid.)

Thanks, I reported the issue.

If anyone else encounters this issue, please report here as well with a discription of the circumstances when this happened and if possible a track file :smile:

Edited by QuiGon

Tornado3 small.jpg

Appreciate it!

For the sake of testing I tried it in a mission that was at -5C and experienced the same issue. so at least not entirely heat related. 

Track file is just too big to attach. I'll see if I cant get a smaller one later on. 

Hi !

It happened to my wingman and myself on our first flight. Persian Gulf map with 31°C. The ALT1 failed about 20min after take-off, then the ALT2 failed about 10min later for both of us.

We were flying between FL 250 and FL280 around mach 0.9 so well outside the forbidden zone.

We did a second flight on the same mission but with 28°C and it happend again to my wingman but me, and only ALT1 this time.

I did some flight on an MP server set at 28°C Caucasus map and nothing happened too me since.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel I7 8700K / RTX 3080 / 32Go DDR4 PC21300 G.Skill Ripjaws V / MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold - 1000W / Noctua NH-D14 / Acer XB270HUDbmiprz 27" G-synch 144Hz / SSD Samsung 860EVO 250Go + 1To / Cooler Master HAF X / Warthog+VPC WarBRD / Thrustmaster TPR / Track-IR v5 + Track Clip Pro / Windows 11 64bits.

On the environmental Panel, are you seting ON the Master Valve Control switch? This enables both the Cockpit and the Avionics bay cooling. Forgetting to turn it on during the Start can lead to overheating.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Interesting that you had ALT1 go before ALT2. my case has always been 2 first. (5 times so far)

Master Valve Control Switch is on. 

Maybe it's ALT2 then ALT1, I don't remember honestly.

Master Valve were On too.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel I7 8700K / RTX 3080 / 32Go DDR4 PC21300 G.Skill Ripjaws V / MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold - 1000W / Noctua NH-D14 / Acer XB270HUDbmiprz 27" G-synch 144Hz / SSD Samsung 860EVO 250Go + 1To / Cooler Master HAF X / Warthog+VPC WarBRD / Thrustmaster TPR / Track-IR v5 + Track Clip Pro / Windows 11 64bits.

I was just cruising at about 30,000 ft, mach .8 (AP) on Syria travelling across the map and lost both of mine too.  Didn't notice which one went first.  Didn't really notice until the radar went blank and the warning lights all lit up (was bust looking at the jet from F2, very nice looking btw)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I've had the Alt2 failing me again now. Master valve was on. Never had an Alt1 failure so far though.
It definitely happens at higher altitudes (~28,000ft), but still below the danger zone shown in the manual.

Also I tried everything to reset the Alt2, including a complete aircraft shutdown and restart after landing, but the Alt2 was not willing to come back alive.

Edited by QuiGon

Tornado3 small.jpg

I seem to be unable to get an hour flight to produce a track small enough to upload directly. here's a google drive link. 
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1V3Wvy8me6C1QySK0-8ajZqYKGMCltrsJ/view?usp=sharing

I hope someone can get something useful out of the track files, replays sure don't work. tried twice and never made it off the ground. bummer. had a pretty good landing and wanted to watch it from external. 

Next test will be trying the same thing but below 10k hopefully the fuel lasts long enough. 

Edited by dudeman17
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, dudeman17 said:

I seem to be unable to get an hour flight to produce a track small enough to upload directly. here's a google drive link. 
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1V3Wvy8me6C1QySK0-8ajZqYKGMCltrsJ/view?usp=sharing

I hope someone can get something useful out of the track files, replays sure don't work. tried twice and never made it off the ground. bummer. had a pretty good landing and wanted to watch it from external.

Next test will be trying the same thing but below 10k hopefully the fuel lasts long enough.

Thanks, really appreciate the effort!
To reduce the track file size, use missions as simple as possible for testing (meaning no additional units other than the ones absolutely necessary to produce the issue).

Tornado3 small.jpg

5 hours ago, QuiGon said:

Thanks, really appreciate the effort!
To reduce the track file size, use missions as simple as possible for testing (meaning no additional units other than the ones absolutely necessary to produce the issue).

Discovery flight

ALT2 fails at time 15:50.

I was cruising at 28 000ft 350kt IAS.

• Thanks 1

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Identical issue, happened over 5 times, with 3 leading to an eventual total electrical system failure. No combat damage was ever taken.

Always max of 0.95M (Typical of 0.85M) and max altitude of 32K(averaging 20-ish). ALT2 goes, then at an undetermined time afterwards it sometimes then has the entire electrical system(including ALT1,  air data, CAP warning, etc.). After total electrical failure it seems my right tanks start losing pressure/leaking. This is a screenshot 3-5 minutes after the second electrical event(note the fuel gauges and the warning panel):

Digital_Combat_Simulator_Black_Shark_Scr

Very soon after this screenshot, the NIV(low feeder tank fuel warning, <250 litres) lit up as the right tanks started drying up. Nothing cleared any warnings and I was forced to land.

Because of this fuel leak, my engine often quit, thus making the situation worse. 

I have a clip on YouTube of after the ALT2 fail through the entire electrical failure and subsequent engine starvation and crash.  I'll edit this post with the link as soon as it's done processing.

Any thoughts, concerns, big things I'm missing?

V/r,

Mordant

Edited by Mordant
forgot ALT1 failure during total elec. failure, YT link
  • Like 1

ASUS Tuf X570 Pro Wifi | Ryzen 7 5800X | 4x8gb 3200Mhz GSkill/Crucial | Gigabyte RTX 3060 TI | 1 500gb Samsung 860 EVO Boot SSD | 2 500gb HDD | 500gb Crucial NVMe (With DCS install) | EVGA 650BQ  |  Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + TM TF Rudder Pedals | TrackIr 5 | A handy dandy notepad ; )

F-5E | A-10CII | F-14 | FC3 | F-16 | F/A-18 | M2kC | MiG-19 | Sa342 | UH-1H | Ka-50 | L-39 | C-101 | P-51D | FW-190 D-9 | F-86 | Combined Arms | Mi-24P | Mi-8 | NS430 | Apache | "Christian" Eagle II ✝️ | Mirage F1

Primary Aircraft = Strong Red | Secondary Aircraft = Orange | Rarely Used = Yellow | Dead Aircraft/Not Bound = Purple | Recent Spike of Use = Teal/Cyan/Aquamarine/Whatever you want to call this

So far I have gotten it about 7 times on multiple times I was testing the range of the Mirage F1 on the SA map with temps set at about 11C. I would get an ALT2 Failure at about 30 minutes after cruising at about FL200 at about 350-370 indicated. ALT1 would usually fail another 30 minutes to 1 hour after that.

Loadout was 6 runway denial bombs with 2 drop tanks. And the avionics coolant switch was switched on, along with the aircraft was a hot start on the runway for testing.

After doing more testing I have been able to cruise at 16-18,000 at around 380-420 knots without issue, even following the climb schedules published in the manual. And last night I was able to consistently reproduce the issue at FL200 but lower altitudes seem harder to get it to trigger consistently. Will try to get a track either tonight or tomorrow, hopefully it will help narrow it down.

Got the track, took place about 21 minutes into the mission.

Mirage F1 ALT2 Failure.trk

Edited by Crash2
Added track of ALT2 Failure
  • Thanks 1

Also suffered several ALT 2 failures, always followed by ALT 1 failures and total loss of electricity in the cockpit.

Most of the time the ALT 2 failures happens while cruising above 20.000 ft at speeds around mach 0,8, Syria map

And once alt 2 failed, 1 will always follow and fail, no matter what you do ...

Really annoying, I hope someone of the team responds to this ....

• Like 1

Before you call everything a "bug": RTFM & try again! Thank you. :music_whistling:

I9-9900k, 32 GB RAM, Geforce RTX 2080 TI, 128 GB M2 SSD, 1 TB SSD, Track IR, Warthog Hotas

On 7/24/2022 at 10:52 PM, Mordant said:

Identical issue, happened over 5 times, with 3 leading to an eventual total electrical system failure. No combat damage was ever taken.

Always max of 0.95M (Typical of 0.85M) and max altitude of 32K(averaging 20-ish). ALT2 goes, then at an undetermined time afterwards it sometimes then has the entire electrical system(including ALT1,  air data, CAP warning, etc.). After total electrical failure it seems my right tanks start losing pressure/leaking. This is a screenshot 3-5 minutes after the second electrical event(note the fuel gauges and the warning panel):

Digital_Combat_Simulator_Black_Shark_Scr

Very soon after this screenshot, the NIV(low feeder tank fuel warning, <250 litres) lit up as the right tanks started drying up. Nothing cleared any warnings and I was forced to land.

Because of this fuel leak, my engine often quit, thus making the situation worse. 

I have a clip on YouTube of after the ALT2 fail through the entire electrical failure and subsequent engine starvation and crash.  I'll edit this post with the link as soon as it's done processing.

Any thoughts, concerns, big things I'm missing?

V/r,

Mordant

I have just encountered the exact same issue as this. Almost exact flight parameters and the exact same lights on the failure warning panel, with the same fuel issue. I was able to land before fuel starvation, but without lights or primary instruments.  No track file.

Kit: i9 10900k, Rog Strix RTX 4090, Asus Rog strix Z490 Mobo, 64 GB, Varjo Aero HMD running Open VR

Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas, Thrustmaster Pendular rudder peddles

MODS: Pretty much all of them

Just had Alt2 light on in Persia (Hoggit Server) after holding a 30° AoB Left Orbit for a few minutes at FL270 / 350kt IAS. 

Loadout:

1x centerline tank

2x R530F EM

2x Aim9 Juli

Weather:

SFC Temp +34°C

QNH 1013 hPa

Pressure lapse rate 29ft/hPa, FL270 = 931 hPa

Wind 4 m/s (7kt) 

Edit: Just to add I havent experienced this Issue in Caucasus.. yet

Edited by Breakaway
  • Like 1