DCS Newsletter discussion 29th July 2022 - DCS: Kola | AH-64D Animations | Free WWII Asset Pack

NineLine

• ED Team

35 minutes ago, Mogster said:

Are we going to get a forum area to discuss this map? Will Orbx be added to the 3rd party dev section?

Not until Orbx are ready for that, as soon as they are we will add a section.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

1 hour ago, Germane said:

just hope the DCS engine doesn't make it too hard for them. I'm afraid the engines they have worked with so far have been much more modern and flexible

Well, I would say yes and no 😉 ... if you look back to where they come from I assume they have worked with a much worse and quite as demanding engine if you think about how bad the former FS flightsim was optimized and what they were able to deliver there with sometimes less impact than the original landscape textures, mesh and airports...

• Like 4

Primary for DCS and other flightsims: i9 12900K@default OC on MSI Z790 Tomahawk (MS-7D91) | 64 GB DDR5-5600 | Asus TUF RTX3090 Gaming OC | 1x 38"@3840x1600 | 1x 27"@2560x1440 | Windows10Pro64

Spoiler

Secondary: i7 11700k@5.1GHz on MSI Z590 Gaming Force MB| 64 GB DDR4-3200 | PowerColor RX6900XTU Red Devil | 1x 32"@2560*1440 + 1x24"@1980*1200 | Windows10Pro64

Backup: i7 6700K@4.8GHz | 64 GB DDR4-2400 | PowerColor RX5700XT Red Devil | SSD-500/1000GB | 1x49" 32:9 Asus X49VQ 3840x1080 | Windows10Pro64

Flightsim Input Devices: VPC: ACE2 Rudder / WarBRD Base / T-50CM2 Base with 50mm ext. / Alpha-R, Mongoos T-50CM, WarBRD and VFX Grip / T-50CM3 Throttle | VPC Sharka-50 + #2 Controle Panel | TM Cougar MFD-Frames| Rift S - Secondary: TM HOTAS WARTHOG/Cougar Throttle+Stick, F-18-Grip | TM TPR Rudder | DelanClip/PS3-CAM IR-Tracker

20 hours ago, Tom Kazansky said:

"The Orbx team is collaborating with experienced DCS campaign creators Baltic Dragon and Reflected Simulations to create engaging F/A-18C and F-16C campaigns at launch."

:thumbup:

Most EXCELLENT.  Though I keep trying to get online, my life schedule has over time made it clear to me I am a single offline Hornet flier andso the more campaigns the better.

• Like 1

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

vor 2 Stunden schrieb schmiefel:

Well, I would say yes and no 😉 ... if you look back to where they come from I assume they have worked with a much worse and quite as demanding engine if you think about how bad the former FS flightsim was optimized and what they were able to deliver there with sometimes less impact than the original landscape textures, mesh and airports...

I hope so 🙂 I am definitely excited and hope for a new benchmark.

• Like 1

It’ll be interesting also as they will be starting with a clean slate this time, DCS doesn’t provide anything as a base. They have created Scandinavian scenery for aFSX and P3D in the past though and have current MSFS airport scenery packages.

• Like 1

Here's the airfields listed from the official announcement without the 'and more' stretch goal airports that might be added
Excellent pick for a map imo.

Low population density and two seasons make sense for double
High on scenery and elevation appearance
Can be reused for most time periods and active in WW2
Nice straight forward East-West geography with clear borders and uncomplicated land mass for ground unit travel
Great Norweigan coastline for funflights
The area has a very dense serving of DCS modules that would be at home

Looking forward to it.

image.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

This was a big surprise for me as well as I wasn‘t aware of this post from Wags back in June 19. 

Now I am very hyped and really looking forward to see more from this very exciting map. The purchase of the South Atlantic map was because of the beautiful landscape with all the mountains, glaciers and snow covered area. What a nice contrast to all the desert areas like PG and Syria. 

As Orbx already has a lot of expierence in making maps for different flight sims (MSFS, XPlane and P3D) I am sure we will see some fantastic maps in the near future and the whole world is now a big step comming closer. 

I really appreciate that with Orbx there is another theatre builder. My biggest wish that we will see more „living“ maps, especially at the airports with animated ground crew, fuel vehicles and some other ground staff. The future really looks bright 😉👍🏻

Edited by Weasel
  • Like 5

Holly Molly! Kola? Wow... just wow! Finally real NATO vs Russia map. Very dangerous waters for any US carrier - have to keep them far away from Red lands. Great for both cold war and modern times. So many scenario possibilities.

Now we need the Nighthawk module for both stealth attack and recce, right? 😉

• Like 5

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

I like very much that ORBX will make the Kola Peninsula - I'm a fan of the cold war gone hot scenario! 👍🏻 But at the preview picture that shows the coverage of the map we can see that they will leave out the Oblast Arkhangelsk. To me this makes no sense. As you may know there is the town Sewerodwinsk, it is the most important shipbuilding town of Russia! There were all big "Typhoon" submarines built as well as all new SSBN and SSN and all others, life cycle renovation of the Kirov missile battleships etc. + the reloading crane for the new Bulava or R-39 SLBM's. So everyone can image  that this part of the white sea is very important and is a strategic must have place to have. So I urge you not to miss this region with this strategically important city! The Solovetsky Monastery is also a place in the Arkhangelsk Oblast that you should also not forget, it is a special place in the white sea that has to be in the Kola peninsula map. I know that many people have wishes for maps that are being created, and not every wish could be fulfilled but it really makes no sense that they cut off that small but important place that is clearly visible on the coverage picture of the map. Please think about it. It is a target destination for fighter/bomber aviators and that is what DCS is about. Also there could be the most eastern Airport on that map, Arkhangelsk Talagi. Those locations are at the lower right corner of the preview screen - I marked it with yellow. 
Kind regards from Sebastian 👍🏻

@BIGNEWY, @NineLine

295954565_10166868183685341_2625781053919549300_n.jpg

Edited by Sepp666
  • Like 7

It would be good to include Archangel, as with Murmansk its a city so well know to English speaking people as well as within Russia.

Including Archangel would mean adding another city to the map though which Orbx may be happy to avoid initially.

There are lots of paved airfields in this area, particularly on the Scandinavian side, many on the islands. If not used as primary bases they could certainly be used as diversionary fields if need be.

Edited by Mogster
  • Like 5

Let's hope Orbx is just as good at DCS map making as they are in other flight sims. I just hope it's a new standard in DCS map quality and not going back 10y in visual fidelity like a recent map we've had with some mountains on it. 

• Like 5

Hopefully we'll also finally get a P-70 site with Kola Peninsula, although I don't think the antenna is there anymore, just the blockhouse. I've always wanted one of the really big, long-range early-warning radars in DCS, and this'd be a great opportunity for it 🥰

P-70 - Radartutorial

• Like 3

On 7/30/2022 at 9:48 AM, Pikey said:

image.png

Nice map, as it includes important airfields! 

Maybe later, as it gets "finished", maybe they'll add a little bit more for that Sepp666 mentions in the bottom right corner? This would probably only happen if framerates are nice and high and stable, module optimisation is fully achieved and so on. BUUUUUT... maybe there's an issue with getting maps and Russian secrecy that could cause Orbx some headaches to include that? I dunno. 

For me, I'm just really glad to have a very nice map, from a VERY experienced developer, of a supremely relevant location for combat scenarios... and great playground for the Typhoon EF2000 that HB and TG are making!!  

Now... if someone could just develop an Israel Jordan Egypt map, to match the Syria map... maybe some Mirage 3's to go with the Mig 23's and such... 

Nice to have new maps like Mariannas, South Atlantic and Kola in future!! 

• Like 4

That CP/G unboarding animation looks great! Looking forward to more of this...

But now it's time for a MEME BREAK!

RAZBAM: Here's a nice Falklands map that also has fjords for those of you who want to have some Scandinavia-like terrain!

orbx: Challenge accepted dealwithit.png

Totally stoked by that announcement! So awesome! awesome.png

My personal wish: Expand a bit to the east (gathering from the red line on the screenshot) to have Arkhangelsk included. This already gives me some SEII vibes, but that port/city has to be in there as well.

• Like 3

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

On 7/30/2022 at 5:48 PM, Pikey said:

Here's the airfields listed from the official announcement without the 'and more' stretch goal airports that might be added
Excellent pick for a map imo.

Low population density and two seasons make sense for double
High on scenery and elevation appearance
Can be reused for most time periods and active in WW2
Nice straight forward East-West geography with clear borders and uncomplicated land mass for ground unit travel
Great Norweigan coastline for funflights
The area has a very dense serving of DCS modules that would be at home

Looking forward to it.

image.png

I would guess (and hope) that they add the warbase at Jockmock also later on after release, it would be fun because its a different type than then others

• Like 1

On 7/31/2022 at 5:56 PM, Sepp666 said:

Oblast Arkhangelsk. 👍🏻

Yeah. Remember how the community influenced decision to make Syria map that big and include Cyprus? 

I am sure that with enough sakes and interest Orbx can consider extension North and East as well.

Edited by Gierasimov
  • Like 4

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

As we know ED plans to make the whole world (even it’s still not around the corner) and with orbx we have professional theater builder joining DCS. I am really excited what next we can expect from orbx. Maybe they start with the Scandinavian map and will then continous with the southern or eastern part of Europe and they will begin to merge the different maps slowly to the whole world. The future really looks bright! 

Edited by Weasel
  • Like 4

A pair of 104's navigating that particular neck of the woods.

• Like 3

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Looking on the usual real time aviation apps there’s plenty of airfields in the area, all have +1000m of asphalt so would be suitable for jets in the sim. Some are clearly intended for military use if needed or have been used in the past.

Really excited about the potential this map has :bounce:

• Like 2

Please stop calling it the "Scandinavian" map. Kola is the name of the game.

We get some "small" parts of the northern part of Sweden and Norway. Denmark isn't even there. To call it "Scandinavian" we need it from the North Cape all the way down to Schleswig-Holstein! 

Finland nor Russia are part of Scandinavia. 

Let Vikings be Vikings! 😄 

Cheers!