DCS Newsletter discussion August 12th 2022 - DCS: Sinai and DCS: Marianas WWII

NineLine

• BIGNEWY changed the title to DCS Newsletter discussion August 12th 2022 - DCS: Sinai and DCS: Marianas WWII

Give it some time. There are two more regions we need to cover the whole area. Turkey/Armenia/Azerbaijan and Iraq and northern Iran. That is every major conflict covered in the area since the late 50's. It also fits great into ED'S world map plans.

Edited by Repth
  • Like 3

DCS: 'You're gonna need a bigger SSD'.

Edited by Dudikoff
  • Like 12

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

On the one hand, really glad to get a Sinai map. 👍

On the other hand, kinda sad that it's a separate map from Syria, and by a different developer. I was hoping that some time in the future, the "Syria" map could grow to include eastern Egypt, western Saudi and Iraq. Oh well. 🤷‍♂️

Maybe, hopefully, I'll live long enough (singularity?) to witness the great-grandchildren of the current ED devs implementing the whole world as a single map. 🙂 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Jayhawk1971 said:

On the other hand, kinda sad that it's a separate map from Syria, and by a different developer. I was hoping that some time in the future, the "Syria" map could grow to include eastern Egypt, western Saudi and Iraq. Oh well. 🤷‍♂️

Maybe, hopefully, I'll live long enough (singularity?) to witness the great-grandchildren of the current ED devs implementing the whole world as a single map. 🙂 

Aye, on the face of it it is a shame that we seem to be getting two separate adjacent maps.

However Expanding “Syria” to the South may be a bit much for Ugra’s small team of part timers though. They are working on expanding “Normandy” according to ED.  At least we will have more scenery available and scenery that will be a good fit for available (or announced) DCS modules.

Any chance of a WW2 version with a bit more Western Desert modelled? 😉

• Like 3

Very pleased with the Sinai choice, thank you. More 1950's aircraft please!

• Like 4

W10 64

I7 4790k o/c to 4.6Ghz

Asus Maximus Ranger VII

24gb DDR3 RAM @ 2133

Asus Strix 1080ti OC

ASUS ROG G-sync 27" monitor

DCS on M2 drive Samsung 960 Pro

MS FFB2 with F-16 grip

CH pro throttle

MFG Crosswind pedals

TrackIR 5

3 x Bodnar button & axis boxes

Very nice map, but I won't buy it. I want Afghanistan, Iraq, Korea or Vietnam.

• Like 2

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

Sinai being 900x600 miles and including Saudi Arabia is really tempting me, I need to see where the boundaries are here. Unfortunately though it looks like my 1TB drive dedicated to DCS may not have been enough. So much for future proofing.

• Like 1

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

1 hour ago, Dudikoff said:

DCS: 'You're gonna need a bigger SSD'.

Yup. There goes my plan to upgrade to a 1TB drive, if it keeps going the way it does, I'll need a 2TB one at least. 🙂 Just for one damn sim. 

That said, I'm glad they're doing Sinai. Looks like it'll overlap with Syria just enough to make it possible to make a campaign that alternates between the two. Expensive, but I suppose people will eventually grab both anyway. It'll be just the thing for the Kfir. Now, if we only could get Israeli versions of the F-16 and the Mudhen...

• Like 1

Yeah, it's normal. Unfortunately, they're also less screenshot-generating tasks. Maps are almost entirely about visuals, so you see screens from them early and often. Modules are less so, you see a lot of screens early when mesh work is being done, then it dies down when modeling is mostly done and work moves onto systems, and then you get screenshots and videos showing those systems in operation as they get finished. Core improvements, like Vulkan or multicore support, or DC for that matter? Code. All code, most of it utterly incomprehensible to someone without intimate knowledge of how computer graphics are rendered. There's literally nothing happening that they could tell a non-technical audience about. DC is AI logic and backend, which is in the same boat. Screenshots will only come when the thing is almost ready, and it's unlikely Vulkan and multicore will do anything screenshotable, unless they use that opportunity to implement some eyecandy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jayhawk1971 said:

Remember de ED ultimate target

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Silver_Dragon said:

Remember de ED ultimate target

Yeah, but we still have flat maps - going spherical is going to be more and more of a pain the more and more flat maps get developed, which will then probably need to be adapated to it.

Aside from that, I'm happy with the map choice, though I'm probably going to give it a miss for the time being (though Suez canal is definitely interesting)- I'm running out of storage space and I figure that the Kola map will be my main one going forward.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

1 hour ago, Jayhawk1971 said:

Yeah, was about to pounce on a 1TB NVMe, now I'm looking at a 2TB. 🙈

i just dumped another sim off my 1TB NVME and all that precious high-speed space is DCS only. I have a 421GB install and the rest is just waiting for more DCS maps.

The other sims can find a life on my hyper fragmented 5400RPM potato of an HDD Z: drive along with old episodes of Gilligan's Island, don't care. 

• Like 2

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

Wow, and another new map……Great DCS World is definitly growing….👍👍👍

• Like 4

DCS MT 2.9.3.51704
Modules: UH-1H - SA342 - KA-50 BS3 - MI-24P - MI-8MTV2 - AH-64D - UH-60L(Mod) - A-10CII - F-16C - F/A-18C - Combined Arms
 - Supercarrier - FC3 - NTTR - Normandy2.0 - Persian Gulf - Syria - SA - Sinai — Waiting for: OH-58D - BO105 - CH-47F - AH-1G(Mod) - OH-6(Mod) - Kola  - Australia - Afghanistan - Iraq

DCS-Client: 10900K, 64GB 3600, RTX3090, 500GB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCS), VR VivePro2, PointCTRL, VaicomPro, Wacom Intuos S with VRK v2Beta

DCS-DServer: 11600KF, 32GB 3600, GTX1080, 1TB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCSDServer)

Simpit: NLR Flightsim Pro, TM Warthog(40cm Ext., Dampers) + Throttle, Komodo Pedals with Dampers, VPC Rotorplus+CBkit+AH-64D Grip, NLR HF8, Buttkicker (3*MiniConcert), TotalControls AH64D MPD‘s, TM 2*MFD‘s, Streamdecks (1*32,3*15,1*6), VPC CP#1

vor 14 Stunden schrieb dawgie79:

Too bad there’s still no news about Vulkan and/or multicore and/or dynamic campaign. 

It’s taking quite a while huh. 🙂

...and not to forget: Also no news regarding the improvement of the ATC...

• Like 4

DCS World needs the Panavia Tornado! Really!