DCS out of space this update on 500gb ssd

Ok, noob issue here I'm sure.  I have most modules/terrains, and with the update today it won't install as it says I only have 60gb left and need 80something to complete the update.  I tried deleting some modules and terrains, but then the amount of needed space just increases in the warning and it still says not enough space.

What am I doing wrong here?

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

Separate Install on Traditional HDD, Update that one
then use DCS_LOCALSOURCE.txt, Updater will just copy files from one install to another.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Errr what?

So I can install another copy of DCS on another drive.  Then update that one (how?!).  Then how does one use DCS_LOCALSOURCE.txt, do you just type that somewhere or what?

Edit - I tried doing this, it just started moving my files from my original folder to the new one.  There really should be a simplified way of doing this.

I think I might just swap out to a 1tb drive I have sitting around and just re install it all.

Skatezilla, I've heard you have a program everyone uses for booting/etc, will it help out with this to the PC illiterate?

Edited by Gman109

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

PC illiterate just go and install new disk - you don't have to reinstall all on the new disk - just copy DCS installation folder and run from there an update.

If you're fine with removing some terrains you have to remove them from the Module Manager (not disable by the switch, use the trash icon).

You can also use free space from other drive if you have one, by using symbolic link.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

I use Windows symbolic links so I have my DCS installation on my 500Gb M2 drive with a couple of the larger terrains (currently Falklands & Syria) on another SSD drive. The DCS installation sees it as all on one drive.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

In my case:

mklink /J "g:\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\terrains\Falklands" "f:\DCS\LinkedFolders\Falklands"
mklink /J "g:\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\terrains\Syria" "f:\DCS\LinkedFolders\Syria"

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat