This Viper is getting really good.

TheBigTatanka

I know there's still some WIP stuff with the radar and the AMRAAM symbology -- but i just want to encourage and thank the development team working on the F-16. This is quickly becoming the F-16 of our flight sim dreams. I never would have imagined 15 years ago that we could have something like this in a game.

Keep up the good work. It's close to being at as high a level of an entertainment sim as you can get. I'll probably start piling on with some missing features or weirdly implemented things -- but I'm really enjoying the F-16, and so are my buddies. Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 9

Dances, PhD

Jet Hobo

https://v65th.wordpress.com/

Totally agree, credit where credit is due the team have transformed the Viper with the latest update (not just the obvious stuff related to the radar). I sense tweaks not mentioned in the patch release notes continue to improve the experience but we now have a fabulous foundation and excellent module, which can only be enhanced as we move forward.

Given 99% of my virtual flight time is in the F16 I could not be happier. Thank you ED your efforts are much appreciated. 

• Like 5

Ryzen 5950X, MSI  RTX 3080TI, 1 TB SSD, 64GB 3600 MHZ DDR4 RAM, Pimax Crystal and 8KX KDMAS. WINWING F16EX Throttle: FSSB-R3-MKII ULTRA Base/TMWH Joystick: DCS: F16C

Can I ask why it’s so good? Or what are the things that make you guys so happy with it? 

I haven’t flown in a while (it’s been to hot to use VR so I’ve been playing V Rising and painting my 40k models) but am feeling the urge once more to take to the skies. But not sure if I should hop in the Hornet (my most used plane) or continue to try and learn the Viper (the plane I wish I used the most, but life keeps getting in the way).

Last time I played DCS, a couple of months ago, it was hard to lock anything up but other than that I was enjoying the Viper quite a lot. But the Hornet seems to have more toys to play with and ofc boat ops. 

I suppose im hoping you guys can help me make up my mind. 😁

Edited by Digitalvole

44 minutes ago, Digitalvole said:

Can I ask why it’s so good?

They have improved flight model quite a bit, they improved the radar and they are still working on it, SEAD capability got improved by adding more features with HTS and I think all the weapons are now added, + bomb modes etc etc... they really did good job on it,

Since I bought it I fly it 95% of the time, and I really enjoy it.

I'm no real life pilot so I have no idea how Viper behaves in real life but when I compare it to real life videos it seems like they have done a good job.👍

Thanks guys, looks like I’ll be jumping in the Viper then, woop woop!

Though there will always be a special place in my heart for the Hornet thanks to DCS, but the Viper is the plane I’ve loved since a kid. I think Iron Eagle has something to do with that haha!

Edited by Digitalvole
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Fromthedeep said:

The F-16 is without question the best product by ED and it's not even a comparison really.

This, you can see from my signature almost have all the "big fish" from ED and, by the far, F16 is the best plane DCS World can offer tied with the Tomcat from Heatblur

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

25 minutes ago, BuzzU said:

If pilots are equal?

Viper is 9g plane while hornet has a limit at 7.5g if I'm correct. You can bypass that limit (in real life you wouldn't do that unless its life or death, but that may damage the airframe and be fatal for you anyway, but in DCS...). So I guess 9g plane turns better than 7.5g plane, hope this helps.

Then you have this thread, just few lines below the one where you asked this question:

Edited by Furiz

10 hours ago, Fromthedeep said:

The F-16 is without question the best product by ED and it's not even a comparison really.

Lol, the F-16 is undoubtably EDs poorest module, at least of those released in the last 5 years. 
Almost every system and feature is only partially implemented and there’s a ton of errors and mistakes in what there is implemented. It’s slowly improving but it remains the poor step child of the litter. It was rushed out on the basis of the Hornets success and hasn’t yet shaken off that dubious start.

I want to love it, but just can’t. Fortunately the Hind, Mosquito and particularly the Apache are excellent and show what ED is actually capable of. 

• Like 6

I never flew the viper (i was a heavy guy), but i recently flew the DCS viper with a friend from pilot training who did fly vipers -- we were both gitty with how cool it was to be flying together again, this time virtually. For an entertainment product (not a professional trainer), ED has gotten a lot correct.

Like... I've been very critical when things are not right (or as right as they could be) -- but I think they are doing a great job with this product. It's finally at the stage where most things are implemented and the gameplay is really good (If you know how to use stuff).

I think the jet has suffered from being bare-bones for the first year of its release -- but it's now close to fully functional.

Like.... If you want to go do SEAD / DEAD with a four ship and protect an entity based on timing in the MEZ.... You can do that.

If you want to do BFM or BSA, you can do that with a variety of weapons.

If you want to do CAS, you can punch in a coordinate or make a mark point from a variety of sources, fine-tune the target location in a TGP, datalink the location to your flight, and set a time on target and get speed cues to delivery simultaneous JDAM attacks.

If you want to fly DCA -- you can now (finally) get radar contact at an expected range, verify targeting and sorting on the datalink, and execute a variety of flows.

If you want to strike.... You can do JDAM attack, GBU-12 attack from self or buddy lase (you can laser spot search), you can use a GBU-24 to point and shoot a bomb to glide in under the weather.

The jet is just super capable. If you want to go cruise around and do a cross country with Steerpoint navigation, you can get performance data to optimize your profile.

I'm sure I'm forgetting things, but it's capable of every mission set the Viper can do, and it's fun to fly (after recent patches).

Is there stuff left to improve and add? Yes -- especially related to pre and post launch AMRAAM stuff, some radar symbology, radar gain levels in air to air, boresight launch mechanics, datalink network setup, and TDOA for the HTS pod -- but it's all achievable with what DCS has proven they can do.

Again -- keep up the good work. Thanks for bringing this jet to life. It's cool.

• Like 8

Dances, PhD

Jet Hobo

https://v65th.wordpress.com/

• ED Team
2 hours ago, AvroLanc said:

Lol, the F-16 is undoubtably EDs poorest module, at least of those released in the last 5 years. 
Almost every system and feature is only partially implemented and there’s a ton of errors and mistakes in what there is implemented. It’s slowly improving but it remains the poor step child of the litter. It was rushed out on the basis of the Hornets success and hasn’t yet shaken off that dubious start.

I want to love it, but just can’t. Fortunately the Hind, Mosquito and particularly the Apache are excellent and show what ED is actually capable of. 

Many MANY people disagree with you, of course you are entitled to your opinion, but it is a very popular module, and gets a lot of praise from many who play it, and it will only get better.

• Like 11

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

51 minutes ago, TheBigTatanka said:

I never flew the viper (i was a heavy guy), but i recently flew the DCS viper with a friend from pilot training who did fly vipers -- we were both gitty with how cool it was to be flying together again, this time virtually. For an entertainment product (not a professional trainer), ED has gotten a lot correct.

Like... I've been very critical when things are not right (or as right as they could be) -- but I think they are doing a great job with this product. It's finally at the stage where most things are implemented and the gameplay is really good (If you know how to use stuff).

I think the jet has suffered from being bare-bones for the first year of its release -- but it's now close to fully functional.

Like.... If you want to go do SEAD / DEAD with a four ship and protect an entity based on timing in the MEZ.... You can do that.

If you want to do BFM or BSA, you can do that with a variety of weapons.

If you want to do CAS, you can punch in a coordinate or make a mark point from a variety of sources, fine-tune the target location in a TGP, datalink the location to your flight, and set a time on target and get speed cues to delivery simultaneous JDAM attacks.

If you want to fly DCA -- you can now (finally) get radar contact at an expected range, verify targeting and sorting on the datalink, and execute a variety of flows.

If you want to strike.... You can do JDAM attack, GBU-12 attack from self or buddy lase (you can laser spot search), you can use a GBU-24 to point and shoot a bomb to glide in under the weather.

The jet is just super capable. If you want to go cruise around and do a cross country with Steerpoint navigation, you can get performance data to optimize your profile.

I'm sure I'm forgetting things, but it's capable of every mission set the Viper can do, and it's fun to fly (after recent patches).

Is there stuff left to improve and add? Yes -- especially related to pre and post launch AMRAAM stuff, some radar symbology, radar gain levels in air to air, boresight launch mechanics, datalink network setup, and TDOA for the HTS pod -- but it's all achievable with what DCS has proven they can do.

Again -- keep up the good work. Thanks for bringing this jet to life. It's cool.

Nah, real Viper pilots knows nothing about the aircraft, we must trust some chair pilots here and there...

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

Completely agree. The DCS Viper is in a great spot now and is probably my favorite module in DCS. Can't wait for additional updates to flesh it out a bit more. 

I am especially pleased with ED's recent efforts with the flight model and FLCS. 

On 7/23/2022 at 1:47 PM, 5ephir0th said:

This, you can see from my signature almost have all the "big fish" from ED and, by the far, F16 is the best plane DCS World can offer tied with the Tomcat from Heatblur

As expected from reading your post, the signature doesn’t contain the Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight 😏

• Like 3

Darkstar: Merged