Trouble finding contacts on Radar, tips ?

Tuturuu

Hey guys, 

Love the module already in its state, good job to everyone involved.

I'm really not efficient with the radar right now since i struggle to find contacts even in training vs allied Mig-21 flying straight (from 7 Nm to 35 Nm) while learning videos i saw doesn't seems to have this problem and find a contact rather quickly.

Maybe radar in 1973 were very basic and some advices could help me be more efficient ?
Should i be at a different altitude ? Or different speed ? Is it not efficient to be straight behind a contact and cruising at the same heading ? 

What i tried : reducing azimuth to 15° in the default mode, TEL mode (under 7Nm for a quick lock- never worked for me yet), 
I eventually find a contact but like literraly have to fly 5 minutes behind it or closing to it to get anything on my radar HUD.

Thanks for tips ! 

I was just about to comment on the MiG-21 detectability as well. I've been doing practice against drones: Tu-95, MiG-21, and Su-25. The Tu-95 is stupid easy to find and lock up on radar thanks to its large size. The smaller MiG-21 and Su-25 are almost stealth. I might get a contact on my screen for one sweep, then it disappears. The contacts won't remain long enough to get a lock. The ACM modes won't pick them up either. 

• Like 2

I think  you need to increase the MEM dial if the contact drops off scope too suddenly. Check out redkite's short vid on the radar

EDIT: REM* dial. REMemberance, not MEMory

Edited by Bagpipe
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bagpipe said:

I think  you need to increase the MEM dial if the contact drops off scope too suddenly. Check out redkite's short vid on the radar

EDIT: REM* dial. REMemberance, not MEMory

Thanks a lot i will try this right now,
I think i played some A2G mission with u back in SoW with P47 bagpipe ahah happy to see you are still playing.

It must be REManence as percistance (Happy little french speaking belgian here).

1 minute ago, Tuturuu said:

Thanks a lot i will try this right now,
I think i played some A2G mission with u back in SoW with P47 bagpipe ahah happy to see you are still playing.

It must be REManence as percistance (Happy little french speaking belgian here).

Ahh yes you did indeed! 😃 Need to get back into the Jug. Excellent module.
I will be back on the WW2 thing soon enough. Been taking a huge break from simming lately, mainly due to broken hardware but Thrustmaster graciously replaced the broken stuff and I am now getting back up to speed with ALL of my modules (there are so friggin many!)

I was trying to use google translate to figure out what the REM could be in french actually so thanks for clearing that up 😅

1 hour ago, Nealius said:

… I might get a contact on my screen for one sweep, then it disappears. The contacts won't remain long enough to get a lock…. 

The radar changes elevations between sweeps. If the target is not in an elevation overlap region between the scan strips it will appear only on sweeps in one direction but not the other.

• Like 1

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

9 hours ago, Bozon said:

The radar changes elevations between sweeps. If the target is not in an elevation overlap region between the scan strips it will appear only on sweeps in one direction but not the other.

Which wasn't a problem against a Tu-95, but magically a problem with anything smaller. I'm coaltitude with my targets.

Being fair, using radar against an aircraft that can fight back (enemy fighter) is probably asking for trouble, as you’re advertising your presence to their RWR.  Probably safer to be vectored by AWACs and use the radar for bomber interceptions.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

70s planes are difficult to detect by radar. Basically you need to get the GCI guide. If the direction is found, it is basic to scan increase the rate by reducing the sweep angle of the radar.

Edited by lee1hy
  • Like 2

creator of ED's official F-16C liveries (WP,OS, 132nd, 152nd, 174th)
AH-64D livery contest winner 😅
kim_123456#3214

My user files https://shorturl.at/cdKV5

Yeah the radar is way overperforming per historical accounts. Hopefully it gets fixed so its worse.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).