Incredibly uneven ground at Andersen AFB.

WHOGX5

I think the runways and taxiways at Andersen AFB needs to be smoothed out quite a bit. It's especially noticable when landing on runway 06R where you land on the runway and, all of a sudden, a few thousand feet down the runway there's an incredibly sharp downgrade that sends you airborne again at stall speed, slamming you into the ground which isn't ideal in an aircraft like the F-16 which has almost no suspension at all. Taxiway bravo is also incredibly bumpy and taxiing at normal taxi speeds feels like it's going to snap your nose gear clean off as you hit sharp incline after sharp incline.

Looking at videos of Andersen AFB on Youtube it's clear that the runways and taxiways aren't flat, but they are curved with very long and smooth transitions between different inclines. In DCS it's not smooth at all but rather very polygonal with sharp angles between each face.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

3 hours ago, DmitriKozlowsky said:

Thats how it is IRL. Now the interaction of DCS aircraft with uneven field at AAFB is something that can be improved. Mariannas  are volcanic islands made of soft volcanic soil that shifts under tectonic stresses much more then mainland field. Or so the theory goes.

As I mentioned in my post, the issue isn't that there are slopes. The issue is that there are sharp angles between different inclines. Here is a video of Spudknocker taxiing on taxiway B at Andersen AFB. It's worth noting that he is taxiing way below the standard taxi speed for an F-16 and it's still giving the nose gear suspension a run for its money. Obviously this is incredibly obvious on the runway when you're landing at 170 knots.

• Thanks 1

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

Everybody has a theory and one other feature.

18 minutes ago, WHOGX5 said:

As I mentioned in my post, the issue isn't that there are slopes. The issue is that there are sharp angles between different inclines. Here is a video of Spudknocker taxiing on taxiway B at Andersen AFB. It's worth noting that he is taxiing way below the standard taxi speed for an F-16 and it's still giving the nose gear suspension a run for its money. Obviously this is incredibly obvious on the runway when you're landing at 170 knots.

I agree. I experienced in in every flyable mod that I have. But it is minor issue, as nothing breaks.

1 hour ago, DmitriKozlowsky said:

Everybody has a theory and one other feature.

I agree. I experienced in in every flyable mod that I have. But it is minor issue, as nothing breaks.

It's not a minor issue. Try landing on 06R in IMC conditions and overall poor weather in an F-16. As you're aerobraking you'll, all of a sudden, become airborne again. Not due to bouncing or pilot error, but due to there being such a sudden and sharp downgrade that you literally become airborne. This is not realistic and it is unacceptable. All it takes is a little bit of crosswind to tumble you over and smack your wing into the ground. Even without a crosswind you'll be at stalling speed when you go over the edge and smack down several hundred feet down the runway which, considering the F-16s lack of suspension, can end in a multitude of different ways. Even if you merely attempt to taxi at the max allowable straight line speed you'll regularly be surprised with your nose wheel steering getting turned off as your nose wheel ever so slightly lifts off the ground.

I don't get why you're defending Andersen AFB being broken and unrealistic? A fix would be preferable to just having Andersen AFB be a crap airfield.

• Like 1

DCS Wishlist:

Thats how it is IRL. Look  at Internet images of its runways. 

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=DKqvRNSd&id=93765228A3C9DEDC07DB40B7BCDFED410F75FEC5&thid=OIP.DKqvRNSdSjPDk3LLwZdfYAHaE6&mediaurl=https%3a%2f%2fth.bing.com%2fth%2fid%2fR.0caaaf44d49d4a33c39372cbc1975f60%3frik%3dxf51D0Ht37y3QA%26riu%3dhttp%3a%2f%2fphotos.wikimapia.org%2fp%2f00%2f03%2f96%2f89%2f69_big.jpg%26ehk%3dvdoYQqK5TiASnf0nNAEwwI1N%2bvGV6DCx%2bM4V4YOGET0%3d%26risl%3d%26pid%3dImgRaw%26r%3d0%26sres%3d1%26sresct%3d1%26srh%3d799%26srw%3d1204&exph=401&expw=604&q=Anderson+Air+Force+Base+GUam&simid=608017080034926908&FORM=IRPRST&ck=03C5E9D9CC4FEE486FD6611242EC9A84&selectedIndex=17&ajaxhist=0&ajaxserp=0

I think its great. All airfields have some amount of uneven flatness. I disliked total flatness of DC fields, and in other flight sims across nearly 30 years of flight simming since I was early teen.

I've landed DCS: A-10C, A-10CII, F-15C, SU-27, Mig-29, Mig-21, SU-25/T, Mirage2000C, Hornet, and helicopters in day and night from both seaside and land side. Easy runways to land on. Very long. You can hang in GE and allow gear to rest on its own, then let aircraft run with minimal braking. Runways on Guam were made to take max grossweight T/O and landings, with emergencies, of largest types of a/c in US and allied forces.  C-5A/M, C-17, B-2A, B-1B, B-52A/B/C/D/E/F/G/H, KC-135, KC-30,  VC-25(AF1), 747 Doomsday , SR-71.  F-16 , F-15C/E, F-22A, and F-35A squadrons and wings demonstrated elephant walks. Mass emergency takeoff . 3 or 4 aircraft a breast scrambling on the ultrawide runway. Although not done in DCS, inRL, USAF cadets demonstrated landing the soar glider on width of runway or slight angle off.  Guam AAFB is gigantic and its runways are loooonnnngggggggg. Now other runways on Tinian and Saipan, are short, and require handling in fast jet. But my favorite is Harrier so , few worries. Hornet can come in at 135 knots IAS, A-10C at 115-120 with t/d at 110. But with Mirage and Mig-21bis, without drogues is more problematic.  I got Mig-21bis in 2014 and its still the most challenging to land safely. With or without drogue. Both like to keep their nose up, while aerobraking. I have had Mig-21 and Mirage overrun Tinian and Saipan runways. If I made approach errors and came in at 150-180 knots IAS at T/D. 

3 hours ago, DmitriKozlowsky said:

I think its great. All airfields have some amount of uneven flatness. I disliked total flatness of DC fields, and in other flight sims across nearly 30 years of flight simming since I was early teen.

You obviously don't understand so let me describe it:

RL - like sine wave surface, smooth ride

DCS - polygonal chain with poor mesh resolution, bumpy road

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

5 hours ago, DmitriKozlowsky said:

Thats how it is IRL. Look  at Internet images of its runways. 

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=DKqvRNSd&id=93765228A3C9DEDC07DB40B7BCDFED410F75FEC5&thid=OIP.DKqvRNSdSjPDk3LLwZdfYAHaE6&mediaurl=https%3a%2f%2fth.bing.com%2fth%2fid%2fR.0caaaf44d49d4a33c39372cbc1975f60%3frik%3dxf51D0Ht37y3QA%26riu%3dhttp%3a%2f%2fphotos.wikimapia.org%2fp%2f00%2f03%2f96%2f89%2f69_big.jpg%26ehk%3dvdoYQqK5TiASnf0nNAEwwI1N%2bvGV6DCx%2bM4V4YOGET0%3d%26risl%3d%26pid%3dImgRaw%26r%3d0%26sres%3d1%26sresct%3d1%26srh%3d799%26srw%3d1204&exph=401&expw=604&q=Anderson+Air+Force+Base+GUam&simid=608017080034926908&FORM=IRPRST&ck=03C5E9D9CC4FEE486FD6611242EC9A84&selectedIndex=17&ajaxhist=0&ajaxserp=0

I've landed DCS: A-10C, A-10CII, F-15C, SU-27, Mig-29, Mig-21, SU-25/T, Mirage2000C, Hornet, and helicopters in day and night from both seaside and land side. Easy runways to land on. Very long. You can hang in GE and allow gear to rest on its own, then let aircraft run with minimal braking. Runways on Guam were made to take max grossweight T/O and landings, with emergencies, of largest types of a/c in US and allied forces.  C-5A/M, C-17, B-2A, B-1B, B-52A/B/C/D/E/F/G/H, KC-135, KC-30,  VC-25(AF1), 747 Doomsday , SR-71.  F-16 , F-15C/E, F-22A, and F-35A squadrons and wings demonstrated elephant walks. Mass emergency takeoff . 3 or 4 aircraft a breast scrambling on the ultrawide runway. Although not done in DCS, inRL, USAF cadets demonstrated landing the soar glider on width of runway or slight angle off.  Guam AAFB is gigantic and its runways are loooonnnngggggggg. Now other runways on Tinian and Saipan, are short, and require handling in fast jet. But my favorite is Harrier so , few worries. Hornet can come in at 135 knots IAS, A-10C at 115-120 with t/d at 110. But with Mirage and Mig-21bis, without drogues is more problematic.  I got Mig-21bis in 2014 and its still the most challenging to land safely. With or without drogue. Both like to keep their nose up, while aerobraking. I have had Mig-21 and Mirage overrun Tinian and Saipan runways. If I made approach errors and came in at 150-180 knots IAS at T/D. 

I'm not sure if you just don't understand what I'm saying or if this is some elaborate trolling scheme? First of all, seeing as the picture you linked was taken at Lajes Air Base in the Azores, I should refrain from commenting on it specifically... However, even that picture does not show any sharp angles whatsoever, whether it be on the runway or the taxiways.

Just to be 100% clear: The issue is not uneven flatness. It's not sloping runways. It's not tectonic plates or volcanic ashen soil being located under the runways and taxiways. It's not downhill or uphill sections of the runways or taxiways. All of these things are completely fine.

The issue is sudden edges on taxiways and runways that are so sharp that they would have to be intentionally man made. It's 100% unrealistic. It's not the result of any natural phenomena whatsoever. I don't know how to explain this any clearer.

DCS Wishlist:

2 hours ago, Nealius said:

Ever seen aircraft landing at Anderson go airborne again while aerobraking in real life?

Yeah, me neither.

That could be caused by high speed, or over pitch for headwind and gross weight. I imagine the aircraft uses the uphill portion of runway as a ramp of sorts. Thats pilot aircraft handling skills. I've done that. Its part of the learning curve. Anyways, Andersen runways are long enough and forgiving in their current state. If ED agrees with you and tessellates the geometry or adjusts their code for body collision behavior, I am good with that.

1 hour ago, WHOGX5 said:

I'm not sure if you just don't understand what I'm saying or if this is some elaborate trolling scheme? First of all, seeing as the picture you linked was taken at Lajes Air Base in the Azores, I should refrain from commenting on it specifically... However, even that picture does not show any sharp angles whatsoever, whether it be on the runway or the taxiways.

Just to be 100% clear: The issue is not uneven flatness. It's not sloping runways. It's not tectonic plates or volcanic ashen soil being located under the runways and taxiways. It's not downhill or uphill sections of the runways or taxiways. All of these things are completely fine.

The issue is sudden edges on taxiways and runways that are so sharp that they would have to be intentionally man made. It's 100% unrealistic. It's not the result of any natural phenomena whatsoever. I don't know how to explain this any clearer.

Came up under search Andersen Air Force Base GUAM AAFB.

• 2 months later...

While I’ve never had problems landing the ai always seems to hate landing on 06L especially helicopters and bigger aircraft that go all the way to the north end of the runway without fail every time they turn right to get off the runway right at the taxiway it seems like their nose gear either sinks into a hole or hits a barrier because they all basically do a front flip and crash right there. I myself have never been brave enough to go over there and try it myself but it could be a problem