Police light (search light) operation

Rongor

Contrary to what is explained in the manual on page 53, operation of the police light (why did you hide it under the term 'search light' in the manual and the controls settings, so nobody can find it?) isn't possible by holding a button depressed.

Currently there are 2 bindings required to toggle the police light on and off.

Screenshot_18.jpg

Edited by Vibora
  • Like 1

On 7/24/2022 at 4:06 PM, Rongor said:

why did you hide it under the term 'search light' in the manual and the controls settings, so nobody can find it?

I guess because that is the term used in the real Mirage F1 manuals as well.

Modules: all, except for the Dora

My missions: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/filter/user-is-Don rudi/apply/

Primary system: i7-13700k, RTX 4080, 32 GB, Win 11, Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha with 5cm extension, Virpil CM2 throttle, Virpil Ace Interceptor pedals, Virpil Rotor TCS base + Blackshark grip, Winwing Triple MFD and ICP, 34" UWHQD screen
Acer Nitro i7-10700, RTX 3060, 64 GB, Virpiel Rotor TCS base + Blackhawk grip, Virpiel Ace Torq pedals, 34" UWHQD screen

On 7/24/2022 at 11:06 PM, Rongor said:

why did you hide it under the term 'search light' in the manual and the controls settings, so nobody can find it?

It looks like they translated the entire manual from French to English without retaining the original French switch labels, making it difficult to operate things when you're actually in the jet. And you can't just Google translate acronyms or abbreviations, nor does automatic translation work well for aviation-specific terminology. For example English aircraft use "on" but Google translate only gives preposition forms in French....perhaps French doesn't have an equivalent adjective....so in French it's "M" for "marche" which is literally "walk." 

• Like 1

Yes, I started out thinking that 'M' was for 'manual' and 'A' for 'automatic', but quickly learned it's functionally opposite in the jet. So if 'M' is 'marche' (on) then 'A' is 'arrêt' for 'off' I guess?

One of the manuals failings, the translation of *everything* including the labels in the actual jet, yes.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ARM505 said:

So if 'M' is 'marche' (on) then 'A' is 'arrêt' for 'off' I guess?

Exactly.

"Arrêt" is from verb "arrêter", which means "to stop".

And like @Nealius said, "Marche" is from verb "marcher", which means "to walk" when the subject is human... or "to run" ("to operate") when the subject is a machine or a software. Funny. I had never thought about this before. I guess that from a French point of view, the machine is faster than the man. 😅

I'm pretty sure the French armed forces stopped using M / A because of the confusion it might cause!

Here's the cockpit of the Rafale prototype: https://www.museeairespace.fr/aller-plus-haut/panoramas-360/360-cabines-de-pilotage/panorama-360-rafale-a/

English everywhere, sometimes doubled with French.

• Like 3

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

On 7/24/2022 at 6:20 PM, Rongor said:

On a side note, the light apparently doesn't activate on the ground.

Hard to test functionality then for the maintenance crew, also it is visible illuminated on the ground in the F1 launch video.

Remember reading in the F1CZ manual, that the light really can't be turned by normal procedure when on the ground. 

• 2 months later...
On 7/24/2022 at 6:20 PM, Rongor said:

On a side note, the light apparently doesn't activate on the ground.

Hard to test functionality then for the maintenance crew, also it is visible illuminated on the ground in the F1 launch video.

Seems to be tied to a WOW logic. It will turn off as soon as you touch down.

The CR and CT seem to be using it as some sort of runway light/ taxi light. They'll turn it on on ground.

• Like 1

So ein Feuerball, JUNGE!

• 2 weeks later...