Gun misaligned for me since patch

tn_prvteye

Make sure when you're boresighting you're putting the LOS reticle inside the BRU as well as making the yellow circles concentric like so. Also remember that you don't have the benefits of the target state estimator in the pilot seat and you can't get a laser range to the target so you'll need to make sure your manual range is set appropriately

image.png

Edited by JSpidey

1 hour ago, tn_prvteye said:

Thanks.  I do that every start-up, but still shoots way down.  I'm in VR, so maybe there's something there?  I'll try a hot-start and see if I get the same issue, as well.

What's the distance of the target and what's your manual range set to. Some people have problems boresighting with IHADSS set to both eyes so that could also be causing an offset with boresighting.

Edited by JSpidey

Not firing at a target...I've been just testing it.  I don't have the IHADSS set to both...just right eye.  It's odd....before patch I had no problems.  It wasn't laser accurate, but it put rounds at least in the general direction.  I'll see if I can get a pic tonight.

That's strange. I just tested, but no issues here.

Using VR (IHADSS set to right eye only) and also on latest OB

Fwiw; I added a track file (accelerated time for INS alignment). My first shots were high, because I forgot to set range to AUTO, but after that, it's accurate (well, the gun is, I am not so much 😋)

Hope you figure out what's wrong

IHADSS alignment and gun use.trk

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

• ED Team

The IHADSS boresight procedure hasn't changed since release. Without a track it is hard to troubleshoot if there is anything you are doing wrong, such as performing the procedure incorrectly or using an erroneous range setting.

Also, I recommend trying it outside of VR. If you follow the same steps outside of VR and there is no issue, then it may be a problem with your VR setup.

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

14 hours ago, Floyd1212 said:

If you go external view is the gun even tracking with your head? 

I don't think currently the external view shows the gun tracking with head for whatever reason.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

1 minute ago, dburne said:

I don't think currently the external view shows the gun tracking with head for whatever reason.

If you think about it for a moment - how could it. When in external view, your mouseview/trackIR-view controls the external camera and not the internal camera aka the pilots head.

That is, of course, in single player. In Multiplayer you should see the gun move, given that one pilot is still in the aircraft and has control of the gun.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

10 minutes ago, Hiob said:

If you think about it for a moment - how could it. When in external view, your mouseview/trackIR-view controls the external camera and not the internal camera aka the pilots head.

That is, of course, in single player. In Multiplayer you should see the gun move, given that one pilot is still in the aircraft and has control of the gun.

True but then one can still manipulate the flight stick, one can still fire the gun or launch a missile - so why not show the head moving with gun?

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

2 minutes ago, dburne said:

True but then one can still manipulate the flight stick, one can still fire the gun or launch a missile - so why not show the head moving with gun?

Because the inputs, that control the camera (and therefore the headposition and therefore the gun) are redirected to the external camera. The trigger and other inputs are not.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Sorry, I had just done this as the PLT while my CPG was looking around, and it didn't occur to me that you can't perform this test by yourself. 🙂

You could, however, look out the left window from in the cockpit, then go external to check, then look out the right window in cockpit, then go external to check.  It was really just a suggestion as a sanity check to make sure the gun wasn't still fixed forward.

• Like 1

I noticed something significant since the patch that may be related.  I'm using Pimax 8kx in wide.  When I switch to CPG I have to recenter the VR headset before I boresight.  When I go back to Pilot I have to recenter again.  It seems that the "ratio of head position" (for lack of better terms) is different in the front and back seat.  I've also had better luck when I use the Steam based "recenter seated position" upon entering the cockpit.  Not sure if any of this is related.. just fyi.

• Like 1

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

7 hours ago, StrongHarm said:

I noticed something significant since the patch that may be related.  I'm using Pimax 8kx in wide.  When I switch to CPG I have to recenter the VR headset before I boresight.  When I go back to Pilot I have to recenter again.  It seems that the "ratio of head position" (for lack of better terms) is different in the front and back seat.  I've also had better luck when I use the Steam based "recenter seated position" upon entering the cockpit.  Not sure if any of this is related.. just fyi.

CP/G default head position has always been way too much to the left (centered to the TADS, which is left of the cockpit/seat centerline). So in order to properly boresight in VR, you either have to move your head right and slightly lower, or manipulate with the VR recenter function to get in the center of your seat.

This has always been the case since release, at least for me and many others (reported many times).

I think though that what the OP describes, looks like a more severe problem that most of us can't seem to reproduce.

• Like 1

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Using VR…..didn‘t notice changes in the IHADSS boresight process.

The gun works for me as in the previous OB‘s…..aiming is for me is it was already before. I didn‘t notice any issues with the AWS.

DCS MT 2.9.4.53707
Modules: UH-1H - SA342 - KA-50 BS3 - MI-24P - MI-8MTV2 - AH-64D - UH-60L(Mod) - A-10CII - F-16C - F/A-18C - FC3 -Combined Arms
 - Supercarrier - NTTR - Normandy2.0 - Persian Gulf - Syria - SA - Sinai - Afghanistan(Preorder) — Waiting for: OH-58D - BO-105 - CH-47F - AH-1G/F(Mod) - OH-6(Mod) - Kola  - Australia - Iraq

DCS-Client: 10900K, 64GB 3600, RTX3090, 500GB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCS), VR VivePro2, PointCTRL, VaicomPro, Wacom Intuos S with VRK v2Beta

DCS-DServer: 11600KF, 32GB 3600, GTX1080, 1TB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCSDServer), DCS Olympus

Simpit: NLR Flightsim Pro, TM Warthog(40cm Ext., Dampers) + Throttle, Komodo Pedals with Dampers, VPC Rotorplus+CBkit+AH-64D Grip, NLR HF8, Buttkicker (3*MiniConcert), TotalControls AH64D MPD‘s, TM 2*MFD‘s, Streamdecks (1*32,3*15,1*6), VPC CP#1

7 hours ago, sirrah said:

CP/G default head position has always been way too much to the left (centered to the TADS, which is left of the cockpit/seat centerline). So in order to properly boresight in VR, you either have to move your head right and slightly lower, or manipulate with the VR recenter function to get in the center of your seat.

This has always been the case since release, at least for me and many others (reported many times).

I think though that what the OP describes, looks like a more severe problem that most of us can't seem to reproduce.

CPG ***height*** changed for me since the last patch, but Pilot height didn't.  i.e. height from pilot dash to virtual eye level has a different ratio than CPG dash to virtual eye level.  Of course there was already a lateral discrepancy there... I'm saying (I thought clearly) that I see something different now.  Adding a calibration step has fixed this exact issue for me... so I took the time to contribute to the OP to see if it might help.  It seems you took your time to dismiss my post so the OP wouldn't have to.  That's very kind of you.  I almost forgot why I avoid this forum.

Also, OP, I use NVS and look at a doorway in front of the bird to validate my calibration while I'm doing it.  Fixed it right up for me.  Your milage may vary... as sirrah so kindly pointed out. 

/OUT

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

6 minutes ago, StrongHarm said:

CPG ***height*** changed for me since the last patch, but Pilot height didn't.  i.e. height from pilot dash to virtual eye level has a different ratio than CPG dash to virtual eye level.  Of course there was already a lateral discrepancy there... I'm saying (I thought clearly) that I see something different now.  Adding a calibration step has fixed this exact issue for me... so I took the time to contribute to the OP to see if it might help.  It seems you took your time to dismiss my post so the OP wouldn't have to.  That's very kind of you.  I almost forgot why I avoid this forum.

Also, OP, I use NVS and look at a doorway in front of the bird to validate my calibration while I'm doing it.  Fixed it right up for me.  Your milage may vary... as sirrah so kindly pointed out. 

/OUT

Perhaps I don't understand you correctly because I'm not native English, but did I step on your toes here? If I did, that honestly wasn't my intention 😕

As you were talking about the CP/G seat, having to recenter VR before being able to boresight, I thought my reply and letting you know that CP/G boresight has issues for many of us VR users, might help or be reassuring for you. Sorry if it didn't.

Fwiw, back on topic:

I did a few more Apache cold starts today on latest OB version (both PLT and CPG station), including IHADSS boresight and didn't have any gun inaccuracy issues. So still all working on my end.

• Like 1

System specs:

I was having this issue as well, after update, with shooting way low/short with gun and rockets although I dont use VR. I had also noticed that my reticule now seemed larger than the ball when bore sighting and like Strongarm mentioned seat height or view seemed off. I deleted my snapviews for AH-64D and now the reticle is back to the right size and weapons accuracy is much better.  

On 7/26/2022 at 12:59 AM, JSpidey said:

Make sure when you're boresighting you're putting the LOS reticle inside the BRU as well as making the yellow circles concentric like so.

I'm doing this every startup in VR and, when checking with FLIR, alignment is always 1-2m off (usually up and left) despite being aligned in the BRU.