[POLL] Which versions of Phantoms would the community be interested in after the F-4E?

jojyrocks

The choice of interest on the Phantoms after F-4E  

254 members have voted

1. 1. The choice of interest on the Phantoms after F-4E

• F-4B
    • F-4J
    • F-4D
    • British Phantom FGR.2
    • F-4S

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/29/22 at 09:54 PM

I have only listed the versions that would seem workable, can work multi purpose, also built in numbers or has seen action. Niche versions like G versions need further development on EW simulation, and most the listed out choices can perform what the G does, which is SEAD. British Phantom, I do not know if it is doable, but is very different with its engines. The British one is the odd one here, likely less doable.

Choice of only one.

Edited by jojyrocks

• jojyrocks changed the title to [POLL] Which versions of Phantoms would the community be interested in after the F-4E?
16 minutes ago, Snappy said:

You forgot to include the -S variant 😕
No offense, but incomplete choices in polls end up in skewed and non-representative results.

It was intentional...I really wanted to, but S barely saw action, the J did. Instead, I added the British one, coz more difference with the Spey engine. The S is the most updated Navy phantom, still it came late, barely saw action. J was done in big numbers, saw more action, was updated version from B and was also there in the Blue Angels. Anyways...I just added S. After all, this is to view the interest of the community.

Edited by jojyrocks
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jojyrocks said:

It was intentional...I really wanted to, but S barely saw action, the J did. Instead, I added the British one, coz more difference with the Spey engine. The S is the most updated Navy phantom, still it came late, barely saw action. J was done in big numbers, saw more action, was updated version from B and was also there in the Blue Angels. Anyways...I just added S. After all, this is to view the interest of the community.

Well, quite a few of the modules in DCS saw no or little action. That shouldn’t be a reason to exclude it.Besides if you included it, people would still have the option to vote for the J or B.

• Like 2

As for myself. I voted for the F-4J. Reason being - Carrier fun, Multi-role, updated avionics and other aero improvements, Blue Angels option (Hoping they come with removable pylons). It has a good track record too on the combat side of things.

I actually wanted to vote for F-4S as it is the most updated Naval Phantom, but I think, it might be hard to get data on F-4S than with F-4J plus (I am just assuming btw). Either way, for the Naval Phantom, I am OK with J or S.

• Like 2

I'd really like if there will be a late-build J in the future. This way we would have two different flavours of the Phantom but also contemporary versions that would have seen combat around the same time.

Without the slats, the J would would have much better speed, high end acceleration and climb but it would lack the maneuverability that the E will have. The PD radar would be interesting as well. It would be carrier-capable and also would be accurate as an RAF bird.

Edited by SgtPappy
  • Like 3

Definitely a naval variant. Ended up voting for the F-4S just due to the smokeless engines although a late variant F-4J would be okay in my book.

Down the line, I also think the F-4G Wild Weasel V would be interesting as it could fit in with post-1990 scenarios.

• Like 2

F/A-18C; A-10C; F-14B; Mirage 2000C; A-4E; F-16C; Flaming Cliffs 3

18 hours ago, CarbonFox said:

Ended up voting for the F-4S just due to the smokeless engines although a late variant F-4J would be okay in my book.

You mean you want a Phantom variant that doesn't smoke like a diesel over one that does? Blasphemy! 🙂 

21 minutes ago, Mig Fulcrum said:

Where is the N variant? it saw combat in Vietnam, is an upgraded B and has smokeless engines (at least not a Titanic chimney)

Would still prefer the S. Like the B, the F-4N didn't come with the M61 to my understanding.

F/A-18C; A-10C; F-14B; Mirage 2000C; A-4E; F-16C; Flaming Cliffs 3

55 minutes ago, CarbonFox said:

Would still prefer the S. Like the B, the F-4N didn't come with the M61 to my understanding.

No Naval (or British) Phantom did, minus gunpods of course. Also it might be the Viggen driver in me speaking, but guns are over rated anyway. 

• Like 1

My wants in order post F-4E DMAS release-

F-111E/F

F-4J/S

F-4G Wild Weasel V

F-4D

F-4N

RF-4C/E

F-4B/C

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

In my personal priority order:

• F-4S/F-4J
  • F-4M

Strangely enough, with the inclusion of the South Atlantic map, the F-4M is probably the 2nd most fitting variant for DCS, after the E.

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

3 hours ago, F-2 said:

Japanese F-4ej Kai. Apg-66, AAM-3, AIM-7M, ASM-2 (170km antiship missile)

It is hard to get data on 21st century Japanese Planes, and Japanese are very very secretive on their planes. So data of F-4EJ, especially the Kai versions will be almost impossible to get.

11 hours ago, Northstar98 said:

In my personal priority order:

• F-4S/F-4J
  • F-4M

Strangely enough, with the inclusion of the South Atlantic map, the F-4M is probably the 2nd most fitting variant for DCS, after the E.

I am perfectly fine with the British Naval Phantom, but I think the work are that will be even more significant than other Phantoms, coz the British used different agents and also need to change the structure to accommodate it. 

Edited by jojyrocks

2 hours ago, jojyrocks said:

I am perfectly fine with the British Naval Phantom

FWIW the M is the RAF version, which isn't navalised. In general I prefer the RAF M as it is superior in a couple of aspects (M's radar has a slightly better ground mapping mode and has SUU-23/A capability) to the J in RN service. Though once the J left the navy and were transferred to the RAF, I think those advantages came to those.

2 hours ago, jojyrocks said:

, but I think the work are that will be even more significant than other Phantoms, coz the British used different agents and also need to change the structure to accommodate it.

Oh I don't disagree with you - I voted for the S

Plus it'll probably be doubly difficult as the British like to classify and restrict absolutely everything regardless of how old it is or how many times its been superceded.

I'm just pointing out that with the South Atlantic map, the F-4M is pretty decent fit for DCS, whereas other Phantoms (particularly US naval Phantoms) are missing assets. The closest carrier we have for a USN/USMC Phantom is the Forrestal, only its depicted post SLEP, during the early 90s - by then the Phantoms had gone.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

9 hours ago, jojyrocks said:

It is hard to get data on 21st century Japanese Planes, and Japanese are very very secretive on their planes. So data of F-4EJ, especially the Kai versions will be almost impossible to get.

I am perfectly fine with the British Naval Phantom, but I think the work are that will be even more significant than other Phantoms, coz the British used different agents and also need to change the structure to accommodate it. 

I believe Macdonald Douglas did or at least was heavily involved with the Kai upgrade, much like Boeing is right now with the on going F-15 upgrade. As for the missiles the Japanese defense agency had fairly detailed data including live testing on their website till 2002. You can still write the Mod and request it. Data on the AAM-3 is posted and discussed on the war thunder forum right now.

I would say 2 variants:

F-4B since it did most of air real life combat over Vietnam in US Navy and it was groundbreaking entering service in 1961 with stunning kinematic performance, being slightly lighter than later models, having capable radar and IRST. And being proper for 1960s scenarios, even Cuban Missile Crisis.

F-4J since it was the most modern Vietnam era variant, with arguably best AA radar and weapon system of its era being the first fighter in the world with operational look-down/shoot-down capability. Plus it still had hard wing having distinct flight performance with better speed and acceleration at cost of low speed maneuverability than F-4E we will have first.

And maybe F-4S? It entered service in the very end of 1970s when US Navy was already well in the process of deploying F-14 in big numbers, but F-4S still had interesting features like first operational helmet mounted sight VTAS, slats like F-4E, partially digitalized weapon control system.

Edited by bies
  • Like 5