Radar inconsistency under TL/BZ modes

Sarix
Go to solution Solved by Foogle,

Hello.

I'm operating under the assumption that whenever the radar is working we as pilots would see random noise in the radar scope.

When attempting to lock targets in a close combat mode (TL or BZ) sometimes the radar would only show the scan zone markers but not the noise - nor would it acquire a lock on a target within the scan zone (7km in front of the aircraft).

This is inconsistent however, as the modes would sometimes work (showing the noise and then acquiring a lock) for no obvious reason.

Track is attached, tail pursuit against an Il-76.

TL BZ.trk

• Like 1

R7-4800H @ 8x 2.9GHz + (8+16)GB DDR4? RAM + GTX 1660Ti.

Gripen needs to be a thing.

When it first came to my attention I was at treetop level chasing down an AI flogger... and the track I attached should say I'm at 5000m AGL, but I wasn't seeing the noise.

Like I said, I was assuming that the visual would be always present (since it happens on 7km/60km RWS regardless of altitude) and thus could be used as an indicator for radar emission... but I could be wrong.

Had this too.

It happened when I entered one of these modes when coming from a 30° HA scope. 

Returning into HA, then widen the HA scope back to 60 degrees and then returning to the ACM modes brought the clutter back. 

I can't tell though if any of this affected the functionality of the radar at all, since the clutter graphics might be of cosmetic relevance only anyway

Edited by Rongor
  • Like 1

• Solution

Had this issue too, found that switching between the two modes without activating the centre position will cause them to fail, so my current workaround is to always press my centring button before switching to a dogfight mode. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Foogle said:

Had this issue too, found that switching between the two modes without activating the centre position will cause them to fail, so my current workaround is to always press my centring button before switching to a dogfight mode. 

This has been my workaround as well.

Seems that switching directly to BZ would kill the radar for me... but going from center to TL would work.

• Like 1