Look Down Clutter Notch Question

almullao

I'd include the F16, JF17 (although better) and F18, the ones I fly. I really dunno about the rest, regardless of the radar detection range, why would those radars be notched by an aircraft flying so high above ground level so easily. It's so obvious if the return signal is coming back much earlier than the ground clutter. To my knowledge, notching is done at extremely low levels in order to hide your signal within the ground clutter, not at 25k altitude.

Edited by almullao

Because a Pulse Doppler radar return gets filed into two locations, Doppler Gate and Rage Gate.  If you have a PD radar mode that detects no return in the Doppler Gate then it invalidates the return.  If you are in Pulse mode there is only Range Gate.  

The Pulse Doppler can be confused in the case the return is close to the ground return, if the return isn't close, that signal, although within the velocity gate can be easily identified as target. Very basic processing can easily keep the target tracked, unlike when it's like within 100ft from the ground.

The radar shouldn't be notched as easily as it is in DCS. Perhaps at longer ranges, where the range return is weaker and it's relying more on velocity returns.

If you read the description of the radar in the manual, it's building tracks with angular, range, and velocity information. If the contact falls into the filter for velocity, it's still tracked in range and angle. The radar goes into COAST mode and tries to resolve the velocity problem.

You can still track and engage the contact in this mode (through the notch), you just don't get velocity data so you lose the active/pitbull cues.

My reading of the manual, is that the radar shouldn't be affected by the notch unless the range returns are weak (small RCS or distant contact). There's also tools, like being able to adjust the radar gain in air to air mode so you can see smaller RCS contacts (or see them further) -- which we don't have in DCS.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Dances, PhD

Jet Hobo

https://v65th.wordpress.com/

On 7/25/2022 at 6:49 PM, TheBigTatanka said:

The radar shouldn't be notched as easily as it is in DCS. Perhaps at longer ranges, where the range return is weaker and it's relying more on velocity returns.

If you read the description of the radar in the manual, it's building tracks with angular, range, and velocity information. If the contact falls into the filter for velocity, it's still tracked in range and angle. The radar goes into COAST mode and tries to resolve the velocity problem.

You can still track and engage the contact in this mode (through the notch), you just don't get velocity data so you lose the active/pitbull cues.

My reading of the manual, is that the radar shouldn't be affected by the notch unless the range returns are weak (small RCS or distant contact). There's also tools, like being able to adjust the radar gain in air to air mode so you can see smaller RCS contacts (or see them further) -- which we don't have in DCS.

Well said, Thank you !

What funny is that your post marked as the solution, and tagged correct as is.  Well, everything you have said is correct based on information, but none implemented in current Dcs World.

• Like 3

• BIGNEWY locked and unlocked this topic
  • ED Team
On 7/27/2022 at 1:50 AM, TEOMOOSE said:

What funny is that your post marked as the solution, and tagged correct as is.  Well, everything you have said is correct based on information, but none implemented in current Dcs World.

We did not set the post as the solution, maybe the OP did. 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• Wags changed the title to Look Down Clutter Notch Question