APS radar mode (TWS kind of...)

Tango3B

Is the APS mode (TWS) already implemented or is it one of the radar modes still being worked on? If it is already implemented has anybody been able to get it to lock something? And if so how do you manage to lock something in this mode? I just can´t get it to work. Sorry if this has been asked before or if it has already been clarified that this mode isn´t working, yet but I am old and probably also stupid so I really need your help here, guys...🤣

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rep3t3 said:

+1 this i havent been able to figure out what the TWS button does

So, my understanding of the APS trigger function is, that you should basically hold down the said trigger like you would do to command an APC STT track, right? The difference for APS is that in this mode the alidade (TDC) should, as the manual cryptically says, transition to a horizontal position to indicate that it actually has achieved a lock while maintaining the ability to scan a certain volume of airspace. Apparently, the radar display should not change function and stay in the normal search display format. Ok, this never seems to happen, right? Right. Well, then the manual also cryptically mentions alleged mandatory conditions in the following way: "In this function, scanning ± 60° in 1 line is imposed. The target square is present but undergoes fluctuations due to the resetting carried out at each scan." Mmmkay...so, I tried all possible combinations in a 30°/60° degree scan combined with a 1L/4L scan while staying absolutely level and co-alt and nose on with the F1 to give the Cyrano IV perfect conditions. Nothing. I tried HA and 1C modes. Nothing. Maybe someone from the Aerges staff may try to explain how this mode is intended to work? Please?!  

Quick edit: I mentioned 1C mode. Personally, I see zero difference to HA mode. Can someone from Aerges please also explain the advantages/disadvantages of this very mode?

Edited by Tango3B
  • Like 2

I think it should work much like it does in Mirage 2000, per US terms it's more RWS SAM than TWS, basically you have a target bugged while not losing all the other contacts. Big innovation at the time, but not a "real" TWS mode that could bug multiple targets.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...