Active TADS LASER Range now incorrectly overrides the Pilots Range source

AvroLanc

With the latest OB there's a new bug with the Range Source sharing.

With the TADS Laser firing/active, the laser range now overrides/has priority over any range the PILOT has selected. This should not happen. The PLTs range source should be independent from the CPGs and the PLTs IHADSS should never show an active laser range. 

You can see in my track this independent behavior is definitely not the case anymore. You can only get control of the range when the laser stops firing. At this point any other range can be set normally (Manual or NAV range for example). 

This is a problem because you now can't simultaneously engage a target with GUN (with Manual range), while the CPG works a TADS target. WASing the GUN with the laser firing now has a grossly incorrect range. (In the future the pilot should be able to use FCR Range for his own target independently as well, this bug will prevent that every time the CPG shoots the laser.)

Initially I noticed this during CO-OP rockets. This is the only particular case when the laser range sharing makes sense, and would actually be quite useful. I initially thought maybe it was an intended feature, and maybe it still is for COOP rockets (the bug being it got carried over to all ranging), but it most likely isn't.

Please see short track. Thanks.

(Edit: I guess there's a small chance this might be correct behavior but I'd like ED/SME to confirm)

PLT LASER.jpg

PLT LASER BUG.trk

Edited by AvroLanc
  • Like 3

I noticed this yesterday as well. I thought initially I was doing something incorrectly as I have had a few weeks not using the Apache so was struggling to figure out what was happening. After repeated testing I can confirm I have the same problem that AvroLanc describes.

Ryzen 5900X, RTX 3080, 32GB Ram, Oculus Rift S, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle and Stick.

• ED Team

This isn't correct behavior. The one and only time that the Pilot's range source mirrors the CPG's is if the CPG has actioned rockets on the TEDAC grip and the pilot has actioned rockets as well in COOP mode. Under these conditions, whatever the CPG's range source is (laser, nav, auto, manual, default) that range source/value will be mirrored in the Pilot's symbology.

All other instances the range sources should always independent.

Reported. Thanks.

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

1 hour ago, Raptor9 said:

This isn't correct behavior. The one and only time that the Pilot's range source mirrors the CPG's is if the CPG has actioned rockets on the TEDAC grip and the pilot has actioned rockets as well in COOP mode. Under these conditions, whatever the CPG's range source is (laser, nav, auto, manual, default) that range source/value will be mirrored in the Pilot's symbology.

All other instances the range sources should always independent.

Reported. Thanks.

OK, thanks. Nice to know.

So my hunch about COOP mode was correct. Clearly it was feature ED intended as a COOP mode feature but the code got passed along to every instance of CPG ranging.

Edited by AvroLanc

12 hours ago, Ceremonial_Melon said:

Am I the only one that thinks they shouldn't fix this? As far as bugs though this one qualifies as a feature in my mind.

no you are not alone. It can be a problem only when pilot want to employ different weapon than cpg in the same time but to me I dont want to open video feed on the mfd to see what the range is. because of fps drain. of course with human cpg you can just ask the range but with george we should be able to ask what the range is or george should tell us periodically