Really no radar assisted gunsight or simply not implemented yet?

Snappy

Like the title say, does the CE Mirage really have not not radar ranging/assisted gunsight mode or is that mode simply not implemented yet?

I find it kind of curious that you only get a very basic manual gunsight with only 2 preset ranges (300m/600m) , not even with selectable target wingspan, like in WWII fighters already head. While at the same time its contemporaries , like the F-4, F-5,F-104 and so on all featured a radar assisted gunsight already as pretty standard equipment. Ok, maybe they thought at the time, gun fights were a thing of the past and missiles only was the way to go.

Then again I found this HUD picture from a greek F1CG , which shows a range to target of 420m on the distance tape, so there must at least be an option for selecting individual ranges or radar ranging.

nullRegards,

Snappy.

image.png

Edited by Snappy
  • Like 5

This doesn’t seem to be implemented yet.Even with a radar lock the distance tape shows 300 in DCS .

Even with 600m range selected and like I said , in this version the radar doesn’t seem to assist at all, even when you get a target lock indication.

Edited by Snappy
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, jaguara5 said:

The R(apid)  C(anon)+M(agic)/S(idewinder) on the throttle. Should select gun's + ir's and command a close combat radar scan.  We have to see how exactly it will  work in the CE. 

I dont think that this switch is commanding a close combat radar scan. This is the function of the TEL/BPZ switch. The C+M/SW switch only selects A2A Gun and the Heatseekers.

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

I believe the C+M switch (Also known as rapid gun in some pubs) should do the following:

1. Force the radar into TEL mode

2. Selects the IR missiles ... With the R550 in 30 x 30 scan (did in Mir III)

3. Firezone computer post lock performs missile in zone computations and generates Green light if in zone.

4. Gun Gyro reticle becomes computing with radar range and own body rates (or Radar rates if Auto fire switch in AUTO)

This enables immediate employment of either IR missiles or the gun.

Edited by IvanK
  • Like 9

9 hours ago, IvanK said:

I believe the C+M switch (Also known as rapid gun in some pubs) should do the following:

3. Firezone computer post lock performs missile in zone computations and generates Green light if in zone.

4. Gun Gyro reticle becomes computing with radar range and own body rates (or Radar rates if Auto fire switch in AUTO)

Currently, C+M doesn't affect the radar or the sight, it only allows the quick select of Guns and Fox 2s. 

I don't know if you're on a dev version and it's working there, but it's definitely not working as you say in the released version. 

2022/7/26 PM8点19分,jaguara5说:

Actually, it stops showing heading when A/A gun or rapid gun selected. 

null

image.png

Do you have more chapter of the manual or more information about the armament control panel?

I have been looking for the NWS manual of C subtype and found nothing. Do you know the function of FORE/AFT switch and AUTO/MANUAL FIRING SELECTOR switch?

Thanks.

Human allowed, demon allowed, Deka never allowed.

Distort allowed, provoke allowed, fight back never allowed.

12 hours ago, IvanK said:

Just to confirm, you are now talking about how the real aircraft works? or the DCS module? Because point 4 doesnt seem to work for me .

Kind regards,

Snappy

6 hours ago, Torbernite said:

Do you have more chapter of the manual or more information about the armament control panel?

I have been looking for the NWS manual of C subtype and found nothing. Do you know the function of FORE/AFT switch and AUTO/MANUAL FIRING SELECTOR switch?

Thanks.

Auto/Manual firing switch has two uses. in the R530 with the switch in Auto the R530 will automatically fire at a range known as "Topt" basically heart of the envelope (though specific criteria defines Topt ... basically calculated Missile flight time as a function of closure.

In AA guns with a radar lock and Auto selected and the trigger depressed the guns will fire automatically if specific criteria are met.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 7/26/2022 at 9:40 PM, Snappy said:

Like the title say, does the CE Mirage really have not not radar ranging/assisted gunsight mode or is that mode simply not implemented yet?

I find it kind of curious that you only get a very basic manual gunsight with only 2 preset ranges (300m/600m) , not even with selectable target wingspan, like in WWII fighters already head. While at the same time its contemporaries , like the F-4, F-5,F-104 and so on all featured a radar assisted gunsight already as pretty standard equipment. Ok, maybe they thought at the time, gun fights were a thing of the past and missiles only was the way to go.

Then again I found this HUD picture from a greek F1CG , which shows a range to target of 420m on the distance tape, so there must at least be an option for selecting individual ranges or radar ranging.

nullRegards,

Snappy.

image.png

With a Radar lock its a standard LCOS Gyro gunsght with radar range input. Range shown by the drum at the top of the glass. With Auto/Man switch in Man radar range and gunsight derived  turning rates are used to compute the solution and position the pipper. A 2 second tracking time is desired to ensure a valid solution.

With out a radar lock the sight is a standard LCOS Gyro sight with 600m or 300m range input depending on the pilot pushing the 600m/300m switch. Again 2 sec tracking time desired for a valid solution.

With Auto/Man switch in AUTO then Radar range, radar determined Line of sight rates and own aircraft determined turn rates are used to determine the solution, in addition if the trigger is held depressed the gun will fire automatically when specific criteria are met.... Pipper and TD square within 15mills . No specific tracking time required

Edited by IvanK
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

7 hours ago, Torbernite said:

Thanks.

The fore/Aft switch is associated with the R530 missile in a jamming environment. It is used to tell the missile the engagement aspect i.e, Fore = Forward sector, AFT = stern sector. This then determines the warhead Detonation delay after the prox fuse detects the target. Since firing against a Jammer neither range or range rate are known by the system. It also varies the navigation computation.

In a normal (non jammer)  R530 launch this detonation delay is set dynamically immediately prior to launch as the system knows both range and range rate.

Edited by IvanK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

IMO, fully implementation of the radar assisted gunsight must be a top priority for Aerges. Does anybody know at what distance is an F1 that  fits perfectly inside  the pipper (so the wingspan is exactly the diameter of the circle)? 

Edited by jaguara5
  • Like 3

1小时前,IvanK说:

The fore/Aft switch is associated with the R530 missile in a jamming environment. It is used to tell the missile the engagement aspect i.e, Fore = Forward sector, AFT = stern sector. This then determines the warhead Detonation delay after the prox fuse detects the target. Since firing against a Jammer neither range or range rate are known by the system. It also varies the navigation computation.

In a normal (non jammer)  R530 launch this detonation delay is set dynamically immediately prior to launch as the system knows both range and range rate.

Thanks! Got my long wondered answer.

Human allowed, demon allowed, Deka never allowed.

Distort allowed, provoke allowed, fight back never allowed.