ACQ TADS Gun fires boresight when fired by pilot

With ACQ set to TADS, target in view by CP/G. If CP/G fires the rounds go to the target. But if pilot (player) fires gun, the gun fires boresight. Despite that TDS is set to TADS, WPN page ACQ set to TADS. Gun operation on monocle is COOP. That can't be right.

Example

Target is sighted and on TADS

WAS set to gun by CP/G and is shown on GeorgeAI popup in pilot seat. ACQ is TADS on WPN page

CP/G fires, and rounds splash around target.

Player activates gun to COOP and fires gun. Rounds are fired boresight without any relationship to any IHAADS symbology and impact somewhere far off target. That is confusing. Becouse a second later the CP/G fires gun and rounds are on target.

COOP is a Rocket mode and not Gun, so there's the first issue. When you WAS the GUN you get ROUNDS XXX. This alone tells you that you've got GUN selected (at least IHADSS indication).

ACQ SOURCE is irrelevant to the SIGHT and aiming weapons so you can ignore that too. You can't have TADS as sight as the Pilot, so you can't fire at the TADS target as the pilot.

I imagine the issue is that the GUN is automatically selecting MANUAL range when you WAS it (this is correct behavior), so the 'boresight' value is something like 1500m by default. You can change your manual range to match the target range, or just let CPG handle any targets seen in the TADS.

2 hours ago, DmitriKozlowsky said:

With ACQ set to TADS, target in view by CP/G. If CP/G fires the rounds go to the target. But if pilot (player) fires gun, the gun fires boresight. Despite that TDS is set to TADS, WPN page ACQ set to TADS. Gun operation on monocle is COOP. That can't be right.

Example

Target is sighted and on TADS

WAS set to gun by CP/G and is shown on GeorgeAI popup in pilot seat. ACQ is TADS on WPN page

CP/G fires, and rounds splash around target.

Player activates gun to COOP and fires gun. Rounds are fired boresight without any relationship to any IHAADS symbology and impact somewhere far off target. That is confusing. Becouse a second later the CP/G fires gun and rounds are on target.

As I think Raptor has posted in another thread, PLEASE read the manual before you decide something is broken or not working correctly. Equally text descriptions of what you think are bugs really often don't help. As is posted all over the forum a TRACK FILE makes seeing what is going on so much easier. If you don't have a track them a screen recording often helps too. 

For whatever is happening here:

1. You can't have COOP GUN - that isn't a mode that exists
  2. ACQ source has nothing to do with where anything is aiming
  3. If you fire the gun from the pilot seat it should aim where your SIGHT is pointing. Currently the only sight available from the pilot seat is the helmet, so if you fire the gun from the pilot seat where the TADS is pointing is completely irrelevant, and always will be.

What you wrote may be correct as developed. But JHC! it is utterly confusing as to what is happening. If CP/G puts gunsight on target, and I want to press the trigger, while George is fiddling  after "Engaging" or "Firing", the gun should fire on target. The gun fires, but rounds go somewhere else. IMHO, right now, as it stands. The interaction between pilot and GeorgeAI is ..e..ef ^ top to bottom. The thought and logic behind it is poor. As I am not a programmer, not a developer, just a user. As end user, it is messed up. There is no realistic chance of victory or survival  a high intensity battle with player pilot and GeorgeAI. I have not yet tried to play this mod as both front seat, effectively turning Apache into a hypothetical single seat variant, thats for later. Maybe. The requirement to hold steady hover or slow fwd flight with LOS to target for 10 or more seconds, while AI fiddles with target system and weapon time of flight, is in itself almost a deal killer. 

When you WAS the gun to pull the trigger yourself, the gun will use your helmet LOS as the aiming sight, so the gun is no longer pointed at what the TADS is looking at.

With the current implementation of this Early Access module, zipping around in a high-intensity battle with George is not going to be very rewarding.  He needs a stable platform at range from your targets to be effective.  Maybe this will improve over time, but honestly, I doubt he will ever be able to react and stay on top of the situation like a human CPG could.  You might consider coming back to it down the road when further development has been made.

If you aren't into MP with a human CPG, use George to hit armor at a distance with Hellfires, then move in with rockets to hit soft targets yourself, and then use guns yourself with the IHADSS to clean up what's left.  I'm not sure if you are using a head-tracker, but using the gun from the back seat is all about looking at your target out the window and pulling the trigger; much easier to do with a head-tracker, or in VR.

• Like 1

• ED Team

@DmitriKozlowsky Here are some excerpts from the manual's FAQ section. Hopefully this will entice you to at least crack open the document to try to understand how the aircraft's targeting systems and avionics work. This is not a personal attack, it is meant as constructive feedback; you would probably have a much clearer understanding of your dilemmas if you had a foundational understanding of the how the aircraft works.

image.png

image.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

Am 26.7.2022 um 16:12 schrieb DmitriKozlowsky:

What you wrote may be correct as developed. But JHC! it is utterly confusing as to what is happening. If CP/G puts gunsight on target, and I want to press the trigger, while George is fiddling  after "Engaging" or "Firing", the gun should fire on target. The gun fires, but rounds go somewhere else. IMHO, right now, as it stands. The interaction between pilot and GeorgeAI is ..e..ef ^ top to bottom. The thought and logic behind it is poor. As I am not a programmer, not a developer, just a user. As end user, it is messed up. There is no realistic chance of victory or survival  a high intensity battle with player pilot and GeorgeAI. I have not yet tried to play this mod as both front seat, effectively turning Apache into a hypothetical single seat variant, thats for later. Maybe. The requirement to hold steady hover or slow fwd flight with LOS to target for 10 or more seconds, while AI fiddles with target system and weapon time of flight, is in itself almost a deal killer. 

here we go again....

Solutions have been stated already. Sry to say, but just because you are not good (suck) at it does not give you the right to call it "messed up [for the end user]". It might be messed up for you particularly. It might be frustrating at times. Yes! But this is not an ARCADE game !!!

IF you want arcade, wait for the arcade mode or go for another game. I cant recommend DCS for you then - and especially not EA.

There have been tons of posts and tries to help you with your issues with the AH64. Many times it seems like you dont read those at all, or maybe you dont understand them. If that is the case try to get some help on a multiplayer server. It is much easier to understand when someone "teaches" things verbally, trust me. You might find someone who can explain the AH64D module to you - but this will take a loooot of time. Learning new modules usually will take time. It is not build for "jump in - kill stuff".

To sum it up just three things:

1) stop your bug assumptions and miss-understandings/miss-using on your side. State what is not working in your case and ASK for help;

2) practice - practice - practice. Only way to git gud;

3) this module ist still WiP / Beta / EarlyAccess /... (pick one) - treat it like that please!

Im off.

K

Edited by Kharrn
blew off steam and edited it down a bit - sorry
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kharrn said:

here we go again....

Solutions have been stated already. Sry to say, but just because you suck at it does not give you the right to call it "messed up [for the end user]". It might be messed up for you particularly. It might be frustrating at times. This is not an ARCADE game !!!

IF you want arcade, wait for the arcade mode or go for another game. I cant recommend DCS for you then.

There have been tons of posts and tries to help you with your issues (in game - sry). Many times it seems like you dont read those at all, or maybe you dont understand them. If that is the case try to get some help on a multiplayer server. You might find someone who can explain the AH64D module to you - but this will take a loooot of time. Learning new modules usually will take time. It is not build for "jump in - kill sh*".

To sum it up just three things:

1) stop your bug assumptions or calling miss-understandings or miss-using on your side. State what is not working and ASK for help;

2) practice - practice - practice. Only way to git gud;

3) this module still is WiP / Beta / EarlyAccess /... (pick one) - treat it like that!

Im off.

K

I am no fortune teller, but I sense a ban in near future for certain individuals

• Like 1