The deck is way too shiny

Some months ago we got an update that removed the deck lines in the mission editor so in the top down view in ME you could not see the deck lines.  This was patched a few months ago and ever since the carrier deck has been extremely shiny making identifying the landing area, particularly when the carrier is sailing towards the sun very difficult to see.

Its a problem from all angles but at its worst when the carrier has the sun off the bow.

IRL the deck is covered in anti skip material and this does not reflect light as much as it does in the game. 

I appreciate an argument can be made for deck weathering/ageing and also oil/fuel spillages but the effect seems way over done and its as if the deck is 100% smooth and covered in water.

Please can some changes be made to the deck to make getting a visual on LA easier, it causing a lot of issues for pilots entering the groove to identify where to line up properly as all you see is the sunlight reflecting off a smooth surface.

Screen_220726_002530.png

1.jpg

Screen_220726_002550.png

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad

• ED Team

Is the sun very high in the sky for the screenshots maverick? 

Also what is your gamma setting at?

I will mention it to the team, can not promise anything however. 

Screen_220727_133356.jpg

Screen_220727_133414.jpg

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team

Marked this post requested, I have made a report for the team who will take a look at what can be done to make the deck easier to see. 

thanks

• Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Thanks Big Man,

Yeah the sun is pretty high boss but to be honest this now happens at all sun heights, my gamma is 1.7 but I have tried it at 2.0 and get the same shining effect.  I have checked with other people I fly with and mentioned on my stream before too and others are confirming they are seeing the same glint off the deck.

It never used to be this bad mate, although your screenshots look fine, I can't get any visual on the Landing Area until Im in close to the boat deep in the groove, when entering the groove all I see is the sunlight reflecting back up at me as if its a wet ice rink.

Cheers for your time!

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad

• 2 weeks later...

The sun's position shouldn't matter, as this coating isn't supposed to reflect much by design (unless extremely worn down or covered in something).

@104th_Maverick Thanks for bringing this up. Hope they'll fix it.

For now I made a simple mod that kills the shininess. Will link it here once it passes the moderation.  >> Download.

nogloss.jpg

Edited by Minsky
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Dima | My DCS uploads

• 3 months later...
On 8/5/2022 at 12:17 PM, Minsky said:

For now I made a simple mod that kills the shininess. 

@Minsky - thanks for this and all that you do for the community!  Just checking in.  I just loaded this today expecting a fairly significant change to the base carrier deck.  Maybe I have improper expectations and therefore checking here.  Doesn't the mod also darken the deck? (https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3325364/#67887)

Below are images I just grabbed from 2D passes over the supercarrier (taken from Bankler's excellent Case1 trainer).  I can't really see any difference in the decks.  Should I from this angle and alt (700 ish feet)?

Base - No Mod Installed

Base Deck Image 600ft.png

Mod Installed to Liveries in Saved Games

Mod Deck Image 600ft.png

I am running latest 2.8OB (33006)

Thanks!!

Edited by Mistermann

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

2 hours ago, Mistermann said:

Mod Installed to Liveries in Saved Games

Hi, and thank you!

This is not a mod but a livery, so it must be applied to the carrier in the Mission Editor.

I'm not sure that editing Bankler's mission won't break any scripts and triggers inside, so I altered it manually. Hope @Bankler don't mind me posting this, otherwise it will be promptly removed:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uVKQkbSqqfQr3cvKqIlfm5old8hs6NuZ/view?usp=share_link

Dima | My DCS uploads

For anyone interested: you can also load it at as mod into the root directory which will replace the existing default livery, although this will likely break IC.

The livery configured as is needs to be modified to replace the root game livery though (so you can't just load it as is to the root)

Create a mod with the file structure: CoreMods/tech/USS_Nimitz/Textures/USS_Nimitz.zip and replace the files inside USS_Nimitz.zip with the ones from this livery under CVN Common. I recommend using OVGME.

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

44 minutes ago, MARLAN_ said:

Create a mod with the file structure: CoreMods/tech/USS_Nimitz/Textures/USS_Nimitz.zip and replace the files inside USS_Nimitz.zip with the ones from this livery under CVN Common.

Have you tried this yourself? I'm genuinely curious, because the livery relies on the 'description.lua' to actually remove the glossiness, and 'USS_Nimitz.zip' doesn't have any inside.

Edited by Minsky

Dima | My DCS uploads

44 minutes ago, Minsky said:

Have you tried this yourself? I'm genuinely curious, because the livery relies on the 'description.lua' to actually remove the glossiness, and 'USS_Nimitz.zip' doesn't have any inside.

I use it, although I've never compared with using it as a livery, so I've probably been missing out on the gloss fix.

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

5 hours ago, Minsky said:

This is not a mod but a livery, so it must be applied to the carrier in the Mission Editor.

Ahhhhh ... the ole ID-10-T error!!!  😆

You said it right in the description and I completely missed the point.  Thanks for kindly pointing out my error.

Looks great!!!

Mod Deck Image 600ft.png

• Like 1

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your work @Minsky, I too suffer from struggling  to see the deck in certain scenarios. Unfortunately, it seems your mod also affects the deck lighting at night. It drastically lowers the brightness/intensity, to the point where night landings become impossible, as the deck is only visible ay 0.1nm.

One note though, I'm installing the mod the same way as Marlan is, as a mod in the root DCS folder (so I can use it during multiplayer, regardless of the server livery), so whether this is the cause, I'm not sure.

Deck lighting with this mod:

Screen_221217_115638.jpg

Deck lighting without this mod (default):

Screen_221217_120229.jpg

Edited by norman99

4 hours ago, norman99 said:

Thanks for your work @Minsky, I too suffer from struggling  to see the deck in certain scenarios. Unfortunately, it seems your mod also affects the deck lighting at night. It drastically lowers the brightness/intensity, to the point where night landings become impossible, as the deck is only visible ay 0.1nm.

One note though, I'm installing the mod the same way as Marlan is, as a mod in the root DCS folder (so I can use it during multiplayer, regardless of the server livery), so whether this is the cause, I'm not sure.

Hi!

As mentioned earlier, this mod is supposed to be used as a livery. When copied into the root, not only it loses the intended functionality, but may actually make the deck look worse.

Here's the deck lighting with this mod used as a livery (visible from about 2 nm):

Screenshot - 221217 11_49_06.jpg

• Like 1

Dima | My DCS uploads

Thanks Minsky, I appreciate the explanation, I had a feeing this was going to be the answer.

Unfortunately, a selectable livery means these textures won't be available on multiplayer servers. As I'm happy with the look of them during the day, I guess I'll just have to enable/disable the textures based on my planned recovery time each mission.

23 minutes ago, norman99 said:

Thanks Minsky, I appreciate the explanation, I had a feeing this was going to be the answer.

Unfortunately, a selectable livery means these textures won't be available on multiplayer servers. As I'm happy with the look of them during the day, I guess I'll just have to enable/disable the textures based on my planned recovery time each mission.

In our case, we could probably just add it to our mod list and start setting it up in missions going forward if it doesn't work correctly as a root mod.

1A100.png?format=1500w