Gunsight - attitude scale questions.

jaguara5

While i can understand that in the simplified attitude reticle the main bar represents the horizon line (and the 2 secondary lines are representing a sloe of -2.5 kai 5 degr.), i can't understand where the main bar is positioned in the normal attitude reticle 

ImageImageImageImage

• Like 2

Consider the following. When looking down to the ADI in your cockpit, you look at an instrument that gives you an abstracted representation of your attitutde in relation to the horizon. The position of the instrument down in the cockpit, its size or its scale do not match the real horizon ourside of the cockpit. You read the instrument independendly to what you see outside the cockpit. The same is actually true for the attitude indications on a lot of early HUDs. They are merely an electronic versions of the ADI displayed on a transparent screen in front of you and should not be read in relation to the world you see behind.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2022 at 9:24 AM, jaguara5 said:

While i can understand that in the simplified attitude reticle the main bar represents the horizon line (and the 2 secondary lines are representing a sloe of -2.5 kai 5 degr.), i can't understand where the main bar is positioned in the normal attitude reticle

In addition to what MBot wrote, it's basicly a consideration of what the pilot needs during which phase of flight.

In normal flight, the HUD's horizon-line is offset, so the pilot can get an attitude-reading, which makes maneuvering easier. If it wasn't offset, you'd have a hard time figuring out your spatial attitude with the nose high (mostly because the canopy bow's in the way) and the "nose high" reference-lines barely visible at the top of your windshield. If you want to put it that way, the representation is offset so it seems like it's centered in the windshield. This "centered" view-angle is actually a couple of degrees down, so the depicted horizon-line doesn't coincide with the actual horizon. It's much the same way in the Tomcat. You'll kind of have to "look through" that and *fly on instruments*, referencing the offset horizon-line. It's actually easer than it sounds, once you're getting the hang of it.

In landing mode with the VV (which is a visual procedure), the HUD-depression goes away and the horizon-line is true, as you'll just look out of the window to get an attitude-reading. Makes sense?

Edited by Bremspropeller

So ein Feuerball, JUNGE!