Switch Freq Issue

Florence201

I noticed this, too.

Whenever I add a new frequency and press the Switch frequency button on the EUFD standby frequency changes to 121.5Mhz. 
Noticed with new 28.07.22 OB 

DCS MT 2.9.4.53707
Modules: UH-1H - SA342 - KA-50 BS3 - MI-24P - MI-8MTV2 - AH-64D - CH-47F(Preorder) - UH-60L(Mod) - A-10CII - F-16C - F/A-18C - FC3 -Combined Arms
 - Supercarrier - NTTR - Normandy2.0 - Persian Gulf - Syria - SA - Sinai - Afghanistan(Preorder) — Waiting for: OH-58D - BO-105 - AH-1G/F(Mod) - OH-6(Mod) - Kola  - Australia - Iraq

DCS-Client: 10900K, 64GB 3600, RTX3090, 500GB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCS), VR VivePro2, PointCTRL, VaicomPro, Wacom Intuos S with VRK v2Beta

DCS-DServer: 11600KF, 32GB 3600, GTX1080, 1TB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCSDServer), DCS Olympus

Simpit: NLR Flightsim Pro, TM Warthog(40cm Ext., Dampers) + Throttle, Komodo Pedals with Dampers, VPC Rotorplus+CBkit+AH-64D Grip, NLR HF8, Buttkicker (3*MiniConcert), TotalControls AH64D MPD‘s, TM 2*MFD‘s, Streamdecks (1*32,3*15,1*6), VPC CP#1

• 3 weeks later...

I did some testing. It works fine as I described. Putting in a new frequency now puts it into primary (which is a bit odd, but that's how the old apaches worked), pushes the old primary to standby and the old standby to oblivion. I haven't noticed anything odd when switching yet.

19 hours ago, FalcoGer said:

I did some testing. It works fine as I described. Putting in a new frequency now puts it into primary (which is a bit odd, but that's how the old apaches worked), pushes the old primary to standby and the old standby to oblivion. I haven't noticed anything odd when switching yet.

This is how the Apache has always worked, and still works. 

• Like 1

@bradmick

Thank you for the Information👍

DCS MT 2.9.4.53707
Modules: UH-1H - SA342 - KA-50 BS3 - MI-24P - MI-8MTV2 - AH-64D - CH-47F(Preorder) - UH-60L(Mod) - A-10CII - F-16C - F/A-18C - FC3 -Combined Arms
 - Supercarrier - NTTR - Normandy2.0 - Persian Gulf - Syria - SA - Sinai - Afghanistan(Preorder) — Waiting for: OH-58D - BO-105 - AH-1G/F(Mod) - OH-6(Mod) - Kola  - Australia - Iraq

DCS-Client: 10900K, 64GB 3600, RTX3090, 500GB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCS), VR VivePro2, PointCTRL, VaicomPro, Wacom Intuos S with VRK v2Beta

DCS-DServer: 11600KF, 32GB 3600, GTX1080, 1TB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCSDServer), DCS Olympus

Simpit: NLR Flightsim Pro, TM Warthog(40cm Ext., Dampers) + Throttle, Komodo Pedals with Dampers, VPC Rotorplus+CBkit+AH-64D Grip, NLR HF8, Buttkicker (3*MiniConcert), TotalControls AH64D MPD‘s, TM 2*MFD‘s, Streamdecks (1*32,3*15,1*6), VPC CP#1

The Standby freq is often alternatively called "last tuned" frequency. Your primary (current freq) becomes your standby (last tuned) when you plug a new freq. This new frequency becomes the new primary and your previous primary becomes your standby, This behaviour is correct as IRL.

• ED Team
4 hours ago, FalcoGer said:

The newer apache variants adopt the more sane "change the standby frequency only" strategy

This is not true. AH-64 variants to this day behave the same way, in that if you manually type in a frequency to tune into the Keyboard Unit, or use the EUFD Preset button to select a frequency, it will place it into the Primary slot, and move the existing frequency from the Primary to the Standby. This has never changed.

However, when tuning a Preset via the COM page, you do get the option to tune that frequency into the Primary slot as usual, or place it in the Standby slot. This includes the version that the DCS: AH-64D is simulating, but the COM page Preset format hasn't been implemented at this time to permit this option.

4 hours ago, FalcoGer said:

which is how radios with a frequency buffer typically behave in aviation radios.

In the civilian aviation realm, yes. There is no ubiquitous, proper, or "sane" strategies when it comes to aviation avionics or equipment, because aircraft are designed to operate in different environments and conduct different missions. The AH-64 avionics are designed differently due to the environment it is expected to operate in, which is a different world than civilian airspace. In fact, everything in the AH-64 avionics is designed with very specific reasons in mind.

The idea is that if you need to rapidly push to another frequency in a hurry, it's going to put that into your primary frequency so you can talk immediately. But you may need to swap back to your previous frequency just as hastily, so that is pushed into standby. So it functions on the principle of the most recent frequencies demanded by the crew in a combat situation, rather than the "mainstream" process of placing the next expected frequency into standby for what has been planned on the next leg of a flight plan (as an example). The AH-64D avionics and human interface are solely designed around functioning as an airborne weapons platform, which is why it breaks from a lot of so-called "standard" aviation conventions for the necessities of combat situations it is expected to be in.

As mentioned prior, with the Presets you will be able to tune a frequency into the standby slot if you desire; but again, the premise is that if you are tuning a frequency that you have already planned on using, it would probably be in your Preset list anyway. Manually tuning a frequency on the COM>MAN page is geared more toward "unplanned" events during your flight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

hace 17 horas, FalcoGer dijo:

The newer apache variants adopt the more sane "change the standby frequency only" strategy, which is how radios with a frequency buffer typically behave in aviation radios. For the 64D-2 we have, this should be correct as is now.

I'm guessing you refer to "TUNING:MANUAL /TUNE PRI/STBY selection" when you mean modern variants and I think I get what's the source.

Indeed we have that button apparently for presets only as it has been told here. Most of COM page is WIP so it should be easier when we get additional functionality.

Yes, with the actual WIP it‘s not very comfortable working with different frequencies. With Dev’s further working on the COM page this will work better…..

DCS MT 2.9.4.53707