Losing enthusiasm with VR

dooom

1 hour ago, Digitalvole said:

The constant battle to get better performance/visuals can suck all the fun out of DCS. I think a good approach is to get to a place where things are acceptable for you and then start a campaign (Liberation is my poison). Once you are actually flying missions it’s much easier to ignore the little niggles that drive you nuts when you’re testing different settings in a futile quest for perfection.

yeah those days for a quick 40 minute hop after dinner, instead wasted chekcing forums, online resources, different apps with a billion settings...

• Like 4

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

17 minutes ago, Ala12Rv-Tundra said:

yeah those days for a quick 40 minute hop after dinner, instead wasted chekcing forums, online resources, different apps with a billion settings...

…and rarely being truly happy with the results. But once you’re dodging missiles the fun returns and you don’t even notice the things you thought were immersion breakers. 

I think the future is bright for us, I just hope geopolitics doesn’t ruin it for everyone. 🤞

3 minutes ago, Digitalvole said:

…and rarely being truly happy with the results. But once you’re dodging missiles the fun returns and you don’t even notice the things you thought were immersion breakers. 

I think the future is bright for us, I just hope geopolitics doesn’t ruin it for everyone. 🤞

yep megahappy with what DCS currently offers and thankful for being able to fly.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Hi all. 

Enjoying your helpful input.  I'm new to VR and DCS.  I have a G2 and 3060 with plenty of cores and RAM.  

I wear glasses, and the cockpit looking straight ahead is crystal clear.  When I look down and hard right or left to get a switch (behind my shoulders in the F-16) I can hardly read the switch names.  Does anyone know:

A) Is it just a poorly setup VR

B) Just 'my eyes being bad'

C) Normal- all systems produce the same results

D) DCS settings that need tweaking

I've tried tweaking all sorts, but to no avail. 

Appreciate any help you can offer. 

i7-11700F  64GB RAM  RTX3060  WIN 10Pro  HP Reverb G2  TM Cougar & Logitech X56

27 minutes ago, Gunslinger52 said:

Hi all. 

Enjoying your helpful input.  I'm new to VR and DCS.  I have a G2 and 3060 with plenty of cores and RAM.  

I wear glasses, and the cockpit looking straight ahead is crystal clear.  When I look down and hard right or left to get a switch (behind my shoulders in the F-16) I can hardly read the switch names.  Does anyone know:

C for a G2. There is no edge to edge clarity with a G2. Sad but true.

Good thing is, it's not your eyes 😉

Edited by Tom Kazansky
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Gunslinger52 said:

Hi all. 

Even a slight trembling of the headset might put your vision out of the sweet spot of focus. 

Next time try looking at some blurry part, then hold the headset against you with your hand and let see if focus improves

Yup.  Normal for a G2, unfortunately.  I ended up selling my G1 the other day, so I put it on briefly to make sure it still worked, and was a little reluctant to go through with the sale.  The G1 had better edge-to-edge clarity.  But, then I remembered all of the other issues the G1 inherently had...it definitely had much more noticeable screen-door effect, and I hated that short tow-rated cable it had.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

On 7/28/2022 at 12:57 PM, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

I haven't flown that much either these past few months. I'm waiting for the engine improvements really: multicore and Vulkan...

This is my problem.  I'm just getting very disenchanted with the engine.  All these years, and still runs on one core.  Until we get multicore and Vulkan, there's not much to do.

I REALLY need to build a new computer.  Mine is 9 years old now.  But I don't see how it's going to do much with this old engine, and money is very tight.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ala12Rv-Tundra said:

I started down that path and said oh heck no. Now I am happily flying campaigns in my Hornet and progressing through learning the Apache with good ole Steam VR and keeping things pretty simple. A few hours every day in fact. Bliss - it's a wonderful thing.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

VR is really not that bad ! I just did about an hour in a bfm server with absolutely no issues, smooth and pretty damn crisp but not like a 2d scene. The thing is , you just got to take what it gives you at the moment. Kinda like golf. 

• Like 1

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

3 hours ago, 3WA said:

This is my problem.  I'm just getting very disenchanted with the engine.  All these years, and still runs on one core.  Until we get multicore and Vulkan, there's not much to do.

I REALLY need to build a new computer.  Mine is 9 years old now.  But I don't see how it's going to do much with this old engine, and money is very tight.

Look at videos of dcs from nine years ago. Graphic wise has improved a lot and requirements have skyrocketed. 

• Like 1

Oculus only runs on its old or beta openxr with the toolkit or with out and or compatible openxr mods.  Or steamvr old or it's beta openxr, toolkit vr menu or with out and VR compatible mods. Wmr openxr tools has no effect on oculus. I think I have that right, little complicated.

Edited by battlegear2099

On 7/28/2022 at 11:32 AM, dooom said:

Hey all,

I'm in need of a lift - or at least a little nudge as I have found myself losing my enthusiasm over VR the last few weeks.

It was only this spring that i finally broke down and built a new PC and picked up a Reverb G2 v2.  I have increasingly been finding myself disenchanted with VR and its implementation.

I'm currently sitting on a 5800x, 64 GB Ram, 6900XT (that i paid far toomuch for just prior to the price crash) and my G2.  I have installed OpenXR and the Toolkit and even read, viewed and researched the multitude of resources and suggestions around AMD and OXR/WMR

I just feel like I am spending faaar too much time fiddling around trying to get things smooth, clear and in my sweetspot.  Its more time fiddling than just enjoying the game.  I'm locked at 45 fps and still drop below that sometimes and feel like the learning curve is still so high that I'll never get optimized.

Then i look at the poor resolution in my G2 (compared to 4k on 2D and I just think... man with my rig I should just buy a 38" 4K monitor and go back to TrackIR.  I'm sure i could drive some pretty nice visuals in 2D.

Maybe VR isnt for me... how did the rest of you get over this funk?

Thanks for any suggestions....

I have been on VR long time and it's not easy to deal with all the issues and changes you run into if your new to VR or a veteran Vr player.   But if you enjoy it keeps you going as it's something back in 80's as a kid we didn't have vr and now we do.  For me VR is amazing , but it's not always workings.  So it takes big time commitment to vr.  I have been struggling with DCs VR issues since 2014 and I tell you it's not been easy trip it's a technology that's still in development.   sometimes you need to take a break or play something else as main issue is not VR but really dcs world it's still in development so it's a beta.  If you like flying, check out other flight sims on steam, msfs2020, il-2 with ww1 and WW2 add-ons,  race cars, fantasy, sifi space fighters and expand your horizons in VR. DCs can be major pain in VR. most other VR apps and games don't have DCs VR problems. I only play on weekends. As I find VR fatigues me if I play to much. Ya VR is DCs is allot of work, as updates break it. That's just what DCs is like.  Those of us who play it in vr do it we enjoy it, and put up with all the crap.  And we keep coming back as it's long term hobby dedication and for some can be costly for there controllers and rigs ,years for some , decades for others, something breaks you fix it VR is very time consuming not for everyone.  It not like owning a game console, PC VR is allot more complex  and time consuming and  sadly , realistically its not plug and play it's hands on and requirements are learning allot of other skills to keep it running.

Edited by battlegear2099
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Digitalvole said:

Dodging missiles is one of the big advantages to VR.  You have depth perception, as well as the 1:1 head movement that makes knowing how to maneuver instinctual.  If you can see it, you can defeat it, often without using any countermeasures.

As far as immersion breakers go, on the pancake, the immersion breakers are pretty much anything in the room for me.  In VR, the only occasional immersion breaker is when an invisible cat paw comes through the side of the cockpit and touches my arm...or when the same invisible cat ends up in the rudder pedals while he's biting my feet.  :prop:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

10 hours ago, Japo32 said:

The only problem I see with VR is these days where my room is at 35ºC and I sweet like hell wearing the goggles.

different options 🙂

• usb fan
  • necklace fan
  • regular fan
  • air conditioner
  • sweat like hell
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, eaglecash867 said:

As far as immersion breakers go, on the pancake, the immersion breakers are pretty much anything in the room for me.  In VR, the only occasional immersion breaker is when an invisible cat paw comes through the side of the cockpit and touches my arm...or when the same invisible cat ends up in the rudder pedals while he's biting my feet.  :prop:

Oh those dastardly invisible sky cats! 
My issue would have been dastardly invisible sky children, so I spent a ludicrous some of money for an outside office at the end of the garden. Worth every penny!

DCS VR really is the only thing that clears my mind of everything but what I’m doing. I mean that does happen if I spend long enough in the pub, but that’s expensive and makes the next day very difficult and is bad for ones health.

Edited by Digitalvole
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Digitalvole said:

invisible sky children

They're terrible when they climb on your lap, stand on your thighs to reach the steering wheel rim that's hanging and to play cars whilst I'm trying to play helicopters!

Oh and also 11pm, I'm sure three year olds should be asleep😁

• Like 3

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

39 minutes ago, Ala12Rv-Tundra said:

different options 🙂

• usb fan
  • necklace fan
  • regular fan
  • air conditioner
  • sweat like hell

Have all of that.. but you need to put also a big wallet to pay all the energy consumed XDD

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ala12Rv-Tundra said:

different options 🙂

• usb fan
  • necklace fan
  • regular fan
  • air conditioner
  • sweat like hell

When they invented VR they forgot most of the world lives without air conditioning 😳

• Like 1

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

3 hours ago, Japo32 said:

Have all of that.. but you need to put also a big wallet to pay all the energy consumed XDD

It's nice meeting you online again, great memories from our races and arma games with 4thperrus 🙂

How is life treating you?? 

I’ve woken up this morning after playing some DCS last night, feeling a bit dissatisfied with VR too.

I suppose I’m letting off a bit of steam, but the constant trade offs and compromises do get frustrating. You think you have things where you want them, then try to play a mission with more going on than usual such as Liberation, and it’s back to the old drawing board. Not to mention how much this all costs! 

On this grey Monday morning the urge to get TrackIR is strong. I’m off to moan about OpenXR in that thread now, aren’t Mondays great! 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Digitalvole said:

I’ve woken up this morning after playing some DCS last night, feeling a bit dissatisfied with VR too.

I suppose I’m letting off a bit of steam, but the constant trade offs and compromises do get frustrating. You think you have things where you want them, then try to play a mission with more going on than usual such as Liberation, and it’s back to the old drawing board. Not to mention how much this all costs! 

On this grey Monday morning the urge to get TrackIR is strong. I’m off to moan about OpenXR in that thread now, aren’t Mondays great! 😉

lower each Liberation coalition budget so less units are involved first! lol

1 hour ago, Ala12Rv-Tundra said:

lower each Liberation coalition budget so less units are involved first! lol

I’m currently doing about $400m each on “The Scenic Route” (apparently one of the least taxing campaigns). I’m hopping OpenXR is the main problem, the motion smoothing is like being on shrooms. Hoping to try it out with SVR tonight. I used to run it on a dedicated server on a 2nd machine, but that proved to be a bit too much faffing about given the time I have.

Does anyone else feel like DCS VR greatness is always just over the horizon? I mean with OpenXR and no motion smoothing it looks utterly fantastic!

Multithreading can’t come soon enough haha. But seriously ED, it can’t come soon enough…🤞

Ps. I’ve been doing this for 6 years now, I know it’s “pros and cons”. I suppose Im feeling the cons more than the pros at the moment. That’ll probably change soon enough. I still believe eventually things will be amazing. How much older we will all be then I dread to think. 😉

Edited by Digitalvole