Any plans to make RWR more realistic and less accurate?

Snappy

Hi,

are there any plan to overhaul the RWR indications to make them more realistic with ambiguities and inaccuracies, similar to the Heatblur simulates this on their F-14?

As of now the Hornet seems to indicate threats with seemingly 1 degree accuracy.

I know the F-14 uses an older RWR system, but then again some inaccuracy is inherent due to the involved physics, as far as I understood it.

regards,

Snappy 

• Like 2

On 7/29/2022 at 2:16 AM, Snappy said:

Hi,

are there any plan to overhaul the RWR indications to make them more realistic with ambiguities and inaccuracies, similar to the Heatblur simulates this on their F-14?

As of now the Hornet seems to indicate threats with seemingly 1 degree accuracy.

I know the F-14 uses an older RWR system, but then again some inaccuracy is inherent due to the involved physics, as far as I understood it.

regards,

Snappy 

Well that would be unrealistic, DCS is a little too perfect, but for now that makes up for the lack of INS stabilization...the Tomcat's is supposed to be crap. (based on the time period) Not to mention questionable design choices. I.e. putting receivers on the stabiltors that ya know, move all the time. 

We need to start with modeling radar correctly...

2 hours ago, Hulkbust44 said:

Well that would be unrealistic, DCS is a little too perfect, but for now that makes up for the lack of INS stabilization...the Tomcat's is supposed to be crap. (based on the time period) Not to mention questionable design choices. I.e. putting receivers on the stabiltors that ya know, move all the time. 

Hornets RWR definitely has ambiguities missing, it wouldn't be 'unrealisitic' as you say.

What it's angular resolution is, idk. But it's ability to identify the emitter is frankly miraculous in DCS.

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

8 hours ago, Hulkbust44 said:

No, ED needs to start modeling RWR detection deeper/correctly , if you had bothered to dig a little deeper, instead of putting out some simple "Tomcat is supposed to be crap" line,  you might know. Both aircraft use the AN/ALR 67  system .
This comment by Heatblurs Ironmike explains pretty well the differences between the stock ED RWR logic and what Heatblur did instead in their simulation of the RWR system . And no, the receivers on the moving control surfaces are not the only problem for accuracy. The system is not perfectly accurate in reality either.

Edited by Snappy
  • Thanks 1

I'd love to see a much less accurate/reliable RWR, as far as I know our RWR is waaay too perfect in DCS but I don't know the exact specifics, just that it's too reliable. That said though, as far as I know we also shouldn't have top/bottom blind spots (except for a tiny cone directly in front and low) and we are missing INS stabilization.

• Like 2

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.