JDAM PP TERM HDG error

Hulkbust44

This may be another case of true vs magnetic mismatching.

I've lost track in how many spots it incorrectly uses true but that would be my first guess of what the issue is.

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

Terminal heading as selected for impact is 0-359 with respect to truth north. However the terminal heading cue on the HSI should point in the actual direction in the format of the HSI. E.g. if terminal impact azimuth was set 090 true east and airplane is flying true east then HSI cue should point straight up even if magnetic heading is 084.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Frederf said:

Terminal heading as selected for impact is 0-359 with respect to truth north. However the terminal heading cue on the HSI should point in the actual direction in the format of the HSI. E.g. if terminal impact azimuth was set 090 true east and airplane is flying true east then HSI cue should point straight up even if magnetic heading is 084.

You're right, I should have double checked first.

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

Confirming OP's observation. I made inboard track 090T, made JDAM terminal azimuth 090T. Approaching the mark showing the JDAM azimuth on HSI is not displaying a vertical tic mark as it should.

image.png

The tic mark looks like it's indicating about 120 magnetic which is very different than the entered 090 true. Even a true/magnetic mixup doubled by subtracting instead of adding wouldn't be this big.

F18 JDAM HSI impact azimuth mark.trk

• Like 1