USA MAPS PLEASE!

Hairdo1-1

I wouldn't mind Greenland or Alaska, mostly for fighting bombers coming over the pole from the USSR. That said, the US is in a situation where there are no red airbases anywhere near it. To even consider attacking it you need long range aviation, which is not the focus of DCS. So, you either make a map where training areas are, or something on the very fringe.

I'd rather see California, with Lemoore, North Island and Miramar. Plus, of course, the ocean for carriers. That would be highly useful for USN/USMC training scenarios.

• Like 3

On 8/2/2022 at 7:39 AM, DmitriKozlowsky said:

DCS: Caribbean & Gulf Of Mexico.

DCS Cuban Missile Crisis !

Needed aircrafts of this era like MiG-21F-13, Su-7B, Su-9, F-4D Skayray, A-4D Skyhawk, F-8U Crusader, U-2, F-104 Starfighter etc. SA-2 S-75, CIM-10 Bomarc missile systems.

NIKE Ajax

Florida Straits and Gulf of Mexico would be good because Florida has many military airfields, some big training ranges, and lots of water for naval ops.  Proximity to Cuba is great for RED/BLUE scenarios

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

I wouldn't mind Greenland or Alaska, mostly for fighting bombers coming over the pole from the USSR. That said, the US is in a situation where there are no red airbases anywhere near it. To even consider attacking it you need long range aviation, which is not the focus of DCS. So, you either make a map where training areas are, or something on the very fringe.

I'd rather see California, with Lemoore, North Island and Miramar. Plus, of course, the ocean for carriers. That would be highly useful for USN/USMC training scenarios.

That would be DCS: Iceland or DCS: North Atlantic. Going off hypothetical scenario modeled on Red Storm Rising. Iceland is key to Atlantic, as it seats middle way between North America and Europe.

• Like 2

DCS: Baltic is still my most wanted. However my European theater desire maybe partially fullfilled by Kola Penninsula. But Kola is all water and mountains, which is FANTASTIC, but little in way of urban terrain, and not much of strategic terrain. Water and sky are strategic. Unless I am missing something. DCS: Baltic is chockfull of European urban areas, roads, valleys, cliffs, fjords, manmade ground hazards. In my thinking Baltic should stretch from Kaliningrad (Konigsberg) to Skagen, Denmark and Eastern North Sea. I figure unless forced, Baltic Fleet is bottled up in Baltic, with threats from three cardinal directions.

11 minutes ago, DmitriKozlowsky said:

That would be DCS: Iceland or DCS: North Atlantic. Going off hypothetical scenario modeled on Red Storm Rising. Iceland is key to Atlantic, as it seats middle way between North America and Europe.

Iceland is a little too far from the US, we don't have maps that big. AFAIK, the big waves of nuke-armed bombers were supposed to fly over the pole into Alaska and Canada, anyway. Sure, the navies would clash in North Atlantic, but the big nuclear airstrike wouldn't need to bother with it. The goal would be to penetrate into the mainaland US and take out its massive industry and military installations before they can ramp up to war production, hoping that Soviets' own dispersed industry in the Urals and further south manages to survive the nuclear apocalypse. Remember, before massed ICBMs made MAD a reality, a nuclear war was something that had to be fought out with a combination of conventional forces and nukes, and a lot of planners expected a WWII-style confrontation. Considering that in WWII the US had the big advantage of being basically untouchable over land, hitting it was of utmost importance.

14 minutes ago, bies said:

DCS Cuban Missile Crisis !

Needed aircrafts of this era like MiG-21F-13, Su-7B, Su-9, F-4D Skayray, A-4D Skyhawk, F-8U Crusader, U-2, F-104 Starfighter etc. SA-2 S-75, CIM-10 Bomarc missile systems.

Also, IL-28 Beagle, Yak-25 maybe, early TU-95, Soviet late WWII and 1950's transports, and Soviet merchants.  US helicopters of the day S-58, SH-3, various banana shaped piston engined helicopters. The obvious Soviet IRBM and SRBM (but without nuclear weapons sims), D-30 towed howitzer, T-34, T-54, Soviet half-tracks, trucks.  WWII pack should have plenty of misc. equipment. As Pre-Revolution Cuba had hand-me downs from USA.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dragon1-1 said:

Iceland is a little too far from the US, we don't have maps that big. AFAIK, the big waves of nuke-armed bombers were supposed to fly over the pole into Alaska and Canada, anyway. Sure, the navies would clash in North Atlantic, but the big nuclear airstrike wouldn't need to bother with it. The goal would be to penetrate into the mainaland US and take out its massive industry and military installations before they can ramp up to war production, hoping that Soviets' own dispersed industry in the Urals and further south manages to survive the nuclear apocalypse. Remember, before massed ICBMs made MAD a reality, a nuclear war was something that had to be fought out with a combination of conventional forces and nukes, and a lot of planners expected a WWII-style confrontation. Considering that in WWII the US had the big advantage of being basically untouchable over land, hitting it was of utmost importance.

You are correct. But DCS , IMHO, is not about strategic warfare. More of a tactical battles fought over area with conventional weapons. Aim is to capture and hold terrain for aggressor. Repulsion of invasion by defender. Key terrain (including water) is Bering Straight, Cape Krunsenstern, St. Lawrence Island, Diomede Islands, Ice Road(s) from Canada, and Aleutians. Aleutians is the island chain bridge from Kamchatka Peninsula to AK and North American continent. Ripe for island hopping strategy.  That maybe a big too big for DCS. If so just Bering Strait and vicinity. Taking tack of strategic bombers over North Pole penetrating into NORAD airspace, the NORAD interceptor bases, USAF Air Forces Alaska, BMD sites , giant OTH radar sites, all have to be attacked with conventional weapons. Thus DCS: Bering Strait.

In defense of Island. Tom Clancy thought it was important, and that's good enough for me.

• Like 1

Bering Strait is Canada, not US. Aleutians are basically empty, there's nothing there to fly from aside from an USCG station and a few civilian airports. Iceland is a whole other thing, because, as you might have noticed, it isn't the US, and it's too far to include any part of the US in the map.

Basically, the only realistic scenario involving North America being attacked is a full-on WWIII, mostly because the US would certainly respond to any threat to their territory with nukes.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

Bering Strait is Canada, not US. Aleutians are basically empty, there's nothing there to fly from aside from an USCG station and a few civilian airports. Iceland is a whole other thing, because, as you might have noticed, it isn't the US, and it's too far to include any part of the US in the map.

Basically, the only realistic scenario involving North America being attacked is a full-on WWIII, mostly because the US would certainly respond to any threat to their territory with nukes.

Check Google Earth. Bering Strait is shared by US and Russia. Canada has Arctic Ocean coast.  Aleutians is a picket line of radar stations, Naval stations, and some fishing stations. Shemya Island, Kiska, Attu. All vital. Aleutians were the only US territory in North America to be occupied, temporarily, by Imperial Japan.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2022 at 6:04 PM, Hairdo1-1 said:

I feel like Pearl Harbor (both for ww2 and modern) Fallon naval air station, and Pensacola are huge gaps in the map offering 

Sadly, I think that these maps can only be missed if you're from the US - and not even all Americans will miss them.  Two of them are historically utterly insignificant regarding aerial combat, and Hawaii can already be simulated via the Guam map.  Also, there are not yet enough assets to successfully recreate the only action that would make Hawaii interesting at all.

• Like 1

As an American I absolutely agree with you, sadly I don’t think it will happen or be a priority with DCS in its current sandbox Simulation form.  As other people have said here the combat portion of our gameplay dictates the current map production. Once the base DCS engine goes to a full global model, then I think you will find that these regions become much more popular.  You never know though with ORBX entering the fray, their true earth regions could become very prevalent in DCS.  The caveat to that being, I believe Eagle dynamics approached ORBX to create the map for them.  Whether ORBX wants to continue and release maps for a combat simulator remains to be seen.  

For me Personally the dream, is 1985 SoCal at the height of the Cold War.  

-Woog

On 8/4/2022 at 11:16 AM, Dragon1-1 said:

Greenland? - whats that got to do with "USA maps"?

Edited by Seaeagle

On 8/24/2022 at 5:46 AM, Mike_Romeo said:

There was a US map annocent some time ago. It wasnt offical but we still might get a new US California map

I’d be shocked if this is real. Doing such large metros will be a huge undertaking. I thought I heard there is a limit to the size of maps and objects in the DCS engine. Hence why the maps are what they are now. 

• Like 1