"Real" airport lights

Havremonster

19 hours ago, Havremonster said:

For the people that is afraid of this because of lack of fps, even old games have this.

I'm with you on this wish, and we seem to agree on the reason why it currently isn't in the game (each light source in the world is a drag on the rendering pipeline: each light source requires an additional lighting and shadow pass for every polygon in view). How much drag it is on current gen GPU we can try ourselves: the Luv Tigr has "real" (emissive) light sources for their front lights. Look at the airport you want to light up, and place a Tigr for every second light source you want to want on the airport, then fly the mission. 

On sparsely-lit Senaki-Kolkhi that comes to 12 Tigrs (see miz). Looking at my performance there I agree that if ED don't go overboard, and automatically cull all light sources outside a certain radius, it should be doable to add some nicer night lighting to airfields, and significantly increase the experience. Or give us placeable light sources (say a spot light, a point and an area light) in ME, and let us go hog wild during mission design 🙂.

Nite Lite.miz

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure ED mentioned in the past they did exactly that at some point, until they noticed how taxing it is on people's computer. Hopefully we will get this implemented when multicore/vulkan is fleshed out.

• Like 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset