A 486 Processor Enough to Run BS!

You don't need no stinking i7 processor. You can run it with 486! It looks like you'll still need 2 Gigs of ram though. LOL

Ahh but it's a DX4, I think they ran at 100mhz! Not the average 486 SX that ran at 33mhz or even the 486 DX that shot along at 66mhz!

/disclaimer, actual figures may be incorrect due to failing memory :smilewink:

heh... 486DX2 66Mhz - was my first PC...

Even with Voodoo2 video accellerator and SoundBlaster 16!

Wooh, super-fast PC! :D

New Generation people not even heard about such gaming-PCs :)

i remember having a cyrix 486 DLX.

but no, that wasn't gaming...

heh... 486DX2 66Mhz - was my first PC...

Even with Voodoo2 video accellerator and SoundBlaster 16!

Wooh, super-fast PC! :D

New Generation people not even heard about such gaming-PCs :)

I go further back. I was a proud owner of an Orchid 3D card (voodoo 1). I rocked in Quake MP with it and many were jealous of me in LAN parties. LOL

i remember having a cyrix 486 DLX.

but no, that wasn't gaming...

Don't know how fast Citrix CPU was in games (But I have one in my collection of old CPUs. Looks funny, you know. :) )

But on my lightning-fast 486dx2 I've played in F-19, F-117, LHX, Strike Commande and Gunship sims, Tie-Fighter runs fast and smoothly.

I'ts funny, cause now my old PocketPC is triply faster than that antiques old-man. :)

BTW - as far as I remember - SU-27 are flying with 486 CPU, and Space Shuttles with Pentium 1.

Edited by Necroscope

Всех убью, один останусь!

486DX2 - first pc.

Then I am just to old! I was gaming along on a 286 8Mhz with a Hercules card flying flight simulator with a mouse - and 2ms screen was a looong way from realization. Ghosting - anyone? :) But before that i tried my hands on flight simulation on my Spectrum 48k. Hm, how long hasn't we come since my first attempt to land with the rubber keyboard.

I even program my own flightsim on my MSX 738 consisting of a bar that could go up and down and "bank" and with object comming faster to me if i pressed "throttle".

Hm... good thing i never continued with that.

The Orchid 3D card and flightsims was such a eye opener. Remember the transition from longbow to longbow 2. I could never really stop beeing in awe how fluid the game became and using hotas was such a dream.

But as the OP wrote. I smiled when i first saw the ABRIS boot screen. Its such a nice touch to include.

Btw, one reason to upgrade from my 386DX40 i had to a 486DX33 was Strike Commander - and the reason for going to a DX2 was - strike commander.

The reason for getting more mem (going from 64MB-128MB) years later was Falcon4.

I have to face the fact. the F16 and my addiction for flightsims has cost me more in hardware upgrade then anything else. (looking at my hotas, my rudders, three screens and track-ir).

Whats next?

<sorry for making it about my own rememberence - but i am getting old so i am allowed to ramble> :-)

486DX2 - first pc.

Then I am just to old! I was gaming along on a 286 8Mhz with a Hercules card flying flight simulator with a mouse - and 2ms screen was a looong way from realization. Ghosting - anyone? :) But before that i tried my hands on flight simulation on my Spectrum 48k. Hm, how long hasn't we come since my first attempt to land with the rubber keyboard.

Hellyeah :)

Just to clarify - 486 - was first my own PC. :)

We started on ATARI, then Karateka and Abrams Tank on XT 8086\87 with four-color screen.

But you right xell, - my PC still up-to-date and full of hand-solded stuff only in cause of fly-sims.

Всех убью, один останусь!

I remember rocking an old Apple playing Oregon trail:notworthy:

OMG Timmy broke his leg:doh:.Sally was bit by a snake, Your oxen is sick:eek:, your oxen has died.your wagon wheel broke. ROFL:megalol: awesome. Then sometimes i would throw in Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego.:punk:

Dell XPS 630i w/ Dell nForce 650i Sli ,Intel Q9650 @3.0 ,6.0 GB Ram @800Mhz, 2xGeforce 9800 GT 512 MB ,Saitek X52, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals ,Dell 24" 1080P HD monitor, Klipsch THX Pro Media 2.1 ,TrackIR 4, Logitech MX518

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My first "computer" was the ZX spectrum with the rubber keyboard.

Firmware: 3.54 MHz Zilog Z80A CPU

16K / 48K RAM (later 128K RAM)

Display: 32 x 22 character text display 256 x 192 pixel resolution 8 colours

Then came the 8086 which I later upgraded to 8087. Then windows 3.1 on a 80286 etc. etc.

Intel I7-10700K, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVMe, MSI Z490 ACE, RAM:64GB DDR4 3600, WIN 10-64, 1080Ti😩

Waiting on a good RTX

AH-64D|AV-88|A10CII|F15E|F16CM|FA18C|F14B|NV|PG|Syria|Synia

Looks like you've got me beat baksie! I started with a 8086, 42MB hard drive and a black and white EGA display.

Funny enough, I found this on the Wiki page for the 8086 architecture: "The electronics industry of the Soviet Union was able to replicate the 8086 through both industrial espionage and reverse engineering."

Now I think I know how the ABRIS came about!

Edited by NullCharacter

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TI-99/4A 3.0 MHz, - with Extended Basic module, cassette player for data storage, speech synthesizer, and mom's TV.

Played Parsec and Car Wars.

994.jpg

LOL...is that Bill Cosby in the picture on the manual?

I know William Shatner did advertisements for computers, but that made sense, he was Captain Kirk!

But Bill Cosby...?

That all makes me miss my first puter; a good ol' Apple IIe. *sigh*

The good days of the 5.25" floppy, reversible (remember that the Pole Vaulting in Epyx Summer Games was on the b side). My dad had bought a fancy connector to hook it up to the 21" inch color TV; PacMan in color!

Then there was the 1040STe (Atari); never played so many games in my life on that baby, including the original Falcon

Damn I feel old

Hmmm.....The computer I am now using to play this game is a 486 DX4........well it was in 96' or 97', obviously it has been continually upgraded since then. I have never purchased a "new computer" since its first iteration....each year ....bit by bit.....CPU by CPU.....cards....cases...MB's etc. generally 2-4 new components a year pending on the games and configurations. The least upgraded component is the sound card which started in the orig as a "Sound Blaster Live Value" and changed it to an Audigy 2 when they first came on the market.....which is still in the machine.

Currently : E8500 duel core @3.8ghz, 2x Sapphire 4850s, GB EP45 MB, 4gig RAM, SB Audigy2, Themaltake Tsunami Case 600w PS, Samsung DVD multi. Acer 2416 monitor..

Not the fastest machine on the market but certainly enough grunt for the current crop of Games and sims. I would hate to add up the actual cost to get it to this iteration. :) :)

Edited by Macka

There we were....two against a thousand.....so what'd we do....Shotem' both!!!!

Intel core I5-9600, GB RTX 2080TI@2050Mhz, Asus ROG Strix Z390, 32GB G.Skill ddr4 3000 Ram. 40" Philips 4K monitor, HP Reverb, Vive Pro, Rift CV1, TMWH and SimXperience Motion Sim, Lime green jocks, Jack Daniels 1770, 2 packs Marlborough, etc etc etc...:megalol: