How-to zoom in VR?

dutchili

Despite other info on this topic I can't get the zoom to work.

Toggle zoom and spyglass work by the push of a button or key, but 'Zoom in' and 'Zoom in slow' don't seem to work.

The reason i want this to work is because it will get rid of some aliasing. Other suggestions to accomplish the same goal are welcome too.

(please forget about MSAA and other in-game settings for that).

As usual, a question is met with 2 opposing answers. This seems to be a thing in VR posts.

Can ED do a comprehensive guide to playing DCS in VR (2022).

Should we go OpenXR? How does a mouse work in VR? Can I run VR DCS in Steam? How do I talk in VR, SRS or the new inbuilt comms?

This sim should be a shining light in PC VR gaming because it can be. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Steel Jaw said:

Zoom in with VR is found under UI Layer keybindings, use it all the time.

Yes, I use it.  I believe the OP wanted to "Zoom In" and "Zoom Out" slow in VR.  What is the trick for that? I haven't figured it out yet unless a change I may have missed.

Edited by Drac

It's not possible to zoom slowly in VR, only toggle zoom and spyglass are available.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

On 7/31/2022 at 1:41 PM, dutchili said:

Despite other info on this topic I can't get the zoom to work.

Toggle zoom and spyglass work by the push of a button or key, but 'Zoom in' and 'Zoom in slow' don't seem to work.

The reason i want this to work is because it will get rid of some aliasing. Other suggestions to accomplish the same goal are welcome too.

(please forget about MSAA and other in-game settings for that).

It won't work because you can't use a zoom-function designed for 2D pancake in a 3D environment. That's why there are two zoom-'toggles' specifically designed for use in VR. These in return won't work (correctly) in 2D pancake.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

unfortunately the UI layer is not practical for me, because I have to many modules that have already utilized al of the keys and buttons. I would have to change all of the profiles, which of course is my problem. Too many modules to change for my VR zoom.

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

14 hours ago, Ramstein said:

I have to many modules that have already utilized al of the keys and buttons.

That was my excuse until I realized that my accuracy improved quite a bit with VR Zoom.  The low resolution we have in VR makes it difficult sometime to straff or CCIP with precision, VR Zoom is very helpfull for that.  I now have one of my HOTAS button exclusively assigned to zoom, applying for all the modules and this is far better.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i9-13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB, ADDLINK S72 2TB, TM WARTHOG COMBO + PENDULAR RUDDER PEDALS, PIMAX 8K X, Sony 5.1 Spks+SubW | DCS OB, A-10C_II, AH-64D, F-14/16/18, F-86F, AV-8B, M-2000C, SA342, Huey, Spitfire, FC3.

I did get my VR Zoom settings over to a USB XBox controller. It freed up a couple buttons on my HOTAS for each aircraft. it took a while to do all the modules.

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You can find it under the UI Layer in the controls section.

Toggle VR Spyglass Zoom
Toggle VR Zoom

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Because the search function only searches in the selected controls profile.

For me (personal opinion) a lot of module controls should be offloaded to the General profile instead of being repeated in each module like the view or camera controls. I wonder how many people set up their zoom controls "differently" for each aircraft/module? VR zoom is common for each module, so why not other stuff that is generally common on each module?
Same goes for the names used for certain controls which are different on some modules but act or do exact the same thing.