VAICOM alternative

dawgie79

Since VAICOM more and more seems like abandonware unfortunately, I would really like it if ED picks up this torch and develops support for spoken radio commands themselves. 

Slightly offtopic: Together with this wish I would like it if they add all radio messages to a special kneeboard page. That way the VR-crowd is catered fully. 

That's it. 

Thanks in advance. Any and all opinions are welcome. 🙂

• Like 5

Since DCS is Windows exclusive, ED might be able to build on the Windows voice recognition API. That way they would not have to do the heavy lifting themselfes. I think it's considered part of the windows paltform and free to use for devs to implement and users to... well... use.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, twistking said:

Since DCS is Windows exclusive, ED might be able to build on the Windows voice recognition API. That way they would not have to do the heavy lifting themselfes. I think it's considered part of the windows paltform and free to use for devs to implement and users to... well... use.

True. That's what VoiceAttack is using.

Buuuuut, probably nothing does it better than VoiceAttack though. VAICOM is just a plugin for it. 😊 

• Like 1

Very sad to see Vaicom not getting any attention from the dev for so long. I just hope all is well with him.

I fly exclusively in VR and Vaicom Pro has been a tremendous benefit for me, hard to imagine having to do without but as the game keeps getting updated and more stuff maybe gets broken in Vaicom, we won't have much choice.  I do wish ED could offer a similar program built into the sim, that would be ideal. 

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

41 minutes ago, dburne said:

Very sad to see Vaicom not getting any attention from the dev for so long. I just hope all is well with him.

I fly exclusively in VR and Vaicom Pro has been a tremendous benefit for me, hard to imagine having to do without but as the game keeps getting updated and more stuff maybe gets broken in Vaicom, we won't have much choice.  I do wish ED could offer a similar program built into the sim, that would be ideal. 

One of the saddest parts, are that after 2.5.24 it got worse. So, I'm back in 2.5.24 and everything works in the Mirage F1, but I guess Hind/Apache, new stuff for Jester won't really work. 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

Yeah and it is still offered for sale at the Vaicom website. Very strange. Unless something has happened and no one else knows how to reach out here. Again I just really hope he is ok.

Not sure I could recommend anyone to purchase this at this time.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

My first preference is for Viacom to succeed..

Personally I don't see ED picking this up, not at least for a long time. They have more than enough to do already that would be considered higher priority, but then again - they did decide to have a go at radio coms even though we had SRS, so who knows.

My personal favorite would be for the developer of VAICOM to release the source code if they're not going to be maintaining it and allow the community to continue it's development, or otherwise have a new mod that is open source / community created. 

• Like 4