Fuel Recovery after taking damage

- Sonic -

Hello. Every time after taking damage over wing, the fuel leak drain all fuel and I have to eject. I would like to know if, using fuel management switch, I can isolate damaged tanks to stop fuel leak and save the fuel of the intact tanks. For example, I taking damage with leak on left wings; switching to FWD (F/R priority) I also exclude A/L line shutting of it and limiting fuel loss only to A/L line? thank you!

1 hour ago, - Sonic - said:

yes I read about it, but I want to know if the switch (in the real world) can save fuel shutting of section of tanks

In RL, no. The switch determine where to use fuel from, would not prevent fuel loss due to damage and would not isolate tanks. A-1 is also the biggest tank in the aircraft, not using it will make the aircraft to aft heavy, not sure if you could fly it even if you isolated the tank.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

9 hours ago, - Sonic - said:

then if you suffer a tank wing hit the plane is gone?

I don't know. There are to many unknowns. I have never work on a F-16 that suffer combat damage ( hit by enemy fire) Not sure what would happen. There are some photos of F-16 receiving very bad damage and making it back. But there are to many variables. 

f-16-wing-missing.jpg

Link to the Washington Post article

86-0269 after a mid air

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Happened to me a month ago. I heard the bingo warning going off too soon and realized I had a leak.

Unfortunately I can't remember if I had a master warning light or if I read it from needles were the leak was located, but I was actually able to isolate it with the fuel management switches and preserve the last 3000 pounds to take her home. For me it was a FWD/AFT management problem.

Again, it was an instinctive reflex, and I'm not at PC right now so I can't tell you my exact actions, but it seems to me it actually is possible to control it.

- "It's better to reign in hell than to serve in Heaven"

Modules: A-4E-C Skyhawk, A-10C II Tank Killer, AJS37 Viggen, AV-8B Harrier, F-14B Tomcat, F-15C Eagle, F-16C Viper, F/A-18C Hornet, MIG-21 Fishbed, MIG-29, SU-27, SU-33

Maps: Caucasus, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier

Rig: i7 4790 / Nvidia GTX 1070 Strix / 16GB RAM DDR3 1600 MHz / 256 GB SSD / Windows 10

Setup: ThrustMaster TWCS Throttle, Titanwolf "Vulture" Stick, DelanClip PRO, Home-made universal Cockpit panel

13 hours ago, mvsgas said:

In RL, no. The switch determine where to use fuel from, would not prevent fuel loss due to damage and would not isolate tanks. A-1 is also the biggest tank in the aircraft, not using it will make the aircraft to aft heavy, not sure if you could fly it even if you isolated the tank.

Correction: The AFT / FWD Fuel system switch utilizes a crossfeed pump to pump fuel to the selected tank system. (if AFT is selected, fuel will be moved actively to the AFT system from the FWD System and vice versa in FWD mode) To my experience this is modeled in DCS, and you can squeeze a tiny bit more range out of the plane if you can identify the damaged system. in any case, switching fuel out of NORM in the case of fuel line damage is prefferable, as it disables automatic CG maintaining pumps inside of each system. however individual tank leaks don't seem to be modelled currently, and i have never gotten any effect out of doing this. even though it should help alot.

Source : HAF-F16.pdf (1-73 "Fuel Control Panel") (3-117 "Emergency procedures for fuel leak")

Edited by Errors2149