F16 Steerpoint Error??

Nuggetz

Something new is happening with steerpoints with the F16. Am I alone experiencing STPT/Navigation issues?

For about the last 18 months I have got into the habit of overwriting SPT1 (GR STONEBURNER MP SERVER) to N43 06 278 E040 34 534 Elevation 69 feet. The threshold of Runway 33 at Gaudata. This give me a home reference to get home easily especially when low on fuel after dogfighting. 

However since the last major update this has stopped working. You can change the co-ords but the mileage to the original STPT stays the same and does not change to the expected 001. 

I also tried the Instant action mission “takeoff” in Caucasus. No success changing SPT1  to the above co-ords. I then pick an empty STPT and enter the co-ords the heading is correct but the mileage was about 530 but should be closer to 230. Flying the route heading remains correct but the mileage over reads by 300 miles throughout The STPT appears on the HSD in the correct place (within the correct range ring). However, no wedding cake in the FCR MFD. 

The work around for the MP scenario is to use the Overfly STPT Mark Point before Takeoff.  The SP solution required me to use F10 and measure the distances involved. 

Can someone have a go at replicating please before I report as a bug. Thank you. 

Edited by Nuggetz

Ryzen 5950X, MSI  RTX 3080TI, 1 TB SSD, 64GB 3600 MHZ DDR4 RAM, Pimax Crystal and 8KX KDMAS. WINWING F16EX Throttle: FSSB-R3-MKII ULTRA Base/TMWH Joystick: DCS: F16C

I am sorry I have tried to produce a track file but cannot get one small enough to post.  As mentioned above if someone would be kind enough to start the Take-off mission in Caucasus Instant Action mission and enter the co-ords detailed above at say STPT 29, the mileage will either be correct or  approx 300 miles too much. If incorrect you will have a track file on your machine.  Many thanks in advance.

Edited by Nuggetz

Ryzen 5950X, MSI  RTX 3080TI, 1 TB SSD, 64GB 3600 MHZ DDR4 RAM, Pimax Crystal and 8KX KDMAS. WINWING F16EX Throttle: FSSB-R3-MKII ULTRA Base/TMWH Joystick: DCS: F16C

I find when I type in a steerpoint, it doesn't properly load into the nav system until I cycle away to another stpt and back.  I believe that is a known bug and workaround.  Does it help you?

• Like 1

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

Thank you I am aware of the workaround. If the bug is known and a fix is in the pipeline albeit with a low priority the the post can be closed. 

Don't use TrackIR or VR for a track and it will be a lot smaller. Head tracking data is big. EDIT: Guessing the track is big because it contains some big picture files from the mission in the file. I made new 'lite' IA Takeoff mission without the files so it will be smaller. EDIT: Testing out your scenario

• Stoneburner server, overwrite 1 to N43 06.278' E040 34.534' Elevation 69.
  • Scenario 2, instant action Takeoff same procedure

From what I saw I entered those coords into steer 1 while steer 1 selected and not everything pointed properly to the new destination. I had to cycle off and back on to get the value to update.

In the IA Takeoff mission, entered new stpt 1 while stpt 1 selected. Diamond correct in HUD. HSD location is  correct. GCSC is wrong. Distance to destination wrong. Cycle off and back on steerpoint, everything fixed.

New test, IA Takeoff, shut down airplane then fresh start with norm align... same problem.

If I use the DEST page to set STPT 1 as given while STPT 2 is current and then change from 2 to 1... no problem

F16 change stpt 1 while 1 selected.trk F16 change stpt 1 while 2 selected.trk

Edited by Frederf
  • Thanks 1

Please find attached file. No VR connected.  

Manually enter lat long into STPT 1 and cycle STPT correct value displayed.

Enter lat long into a blank STPT and the range is 500+ miles, again cycle STPT and return to STPT the correct range value is now displayed.  

Once you recognise the error it is easily correctable so not a major drama, but if this differs to the F16 IRL perhaps ED can add it to the endless list of jobs to to do..

Many thanks in anticipation  N

Tacview-20220809-094438-DCS-F-16C - Caucasus - Takeoff.zip.acmi