Long time owner disappointed

Muddy17

On 8/8/2022 at 3:23 AM, Schmidtfire said:

Perfectly fine? 🙂 The RWR is an "Experimental Feature" that does not work properly in multiplayer. It sort of works in Singleplayer.

Everything is in the patchnotes ...

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

14 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

The only thing bugging me about the MiG-21 is that there's not enough versions around.

*nudge, nudge*

...and the colours. When I fly the 21 (very seldom), I have the sudden urge to reduce saturation on my TV (a lot!). ...or p*ke a rainbow.... 😁

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/6/2022 at 7:36 PM, rossmum said:

...the navigation system is painfully lacking compared to its real-world capabilties, and the autopilot doesn't even begin to reach what the one in the real aircraft does....

Just out of curiosity, how would they be different if they were properly implemented? 

The navigation system is "fictional" since mig-21 has been the first module to use RSBN, that has been implemented from scratch; then the L-39 got developed and it had an RSBN made by ED, but there were only two airports using it in Caucasus map; so Magnitude decided to keep its own implementation of RSBN, even if with fictional airport channels. Magnitude-made RSBN is not so different from ED's one, if they are lacking from the real one that's a simulation limit. Other mig-21 systems would require an overhaul, the main reason being they are 8 years old and they are no longer on par with the accuracy with which newer modules are simulated.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2022 at 6:47 AM, MickV said:

Just out of curiosity, how would they be different if they were properly implemented?

The MiG-21's RSBN uses the radio beacons to correct a dead-reckoning system, which in turn tells you your location (as far as it knows) with regards to the selected beacon. So for example, when you lose line of sight to an RSBN station, the aircraft should still know within reason where it is and how far away you are from it, with drift building over time and then being corrected once signal is regained. Theoretically you could undertake an entire flight with little to no actual RSBN beacon capture and still have a fairly accurate idea of where you are. This system is already implemented in the L-39 as far as I know, but the 21's nav system in DCS is piggybacked off the old FC3 nav system which uses airfields as waypoints and is quite limited. The way it acts as a dollar store TACAN knockoff ingame really belies what navigation capability the jet actually has, around this era it would be very uncommon for a non-export (ie F-5) type to lack some kind of dead-reckoning, be it radio, visual fix, or doppler corrected (for example the Viggen's is a mix of the latter two - not an INS as commonly believed), or a genuine early INS. The auto-approach feature also has some issues at the moment and so is usually more harm than good, and there are also some inaccuracies with how ARK works, though I don't usually use that system as much so I don't remember the specifics. I think it's something like the sector setup is really simplified and the channel buttons don't do what they're supposed to.

As for the autopilot - stabilisation mode currently puts an awful damper filter on all control inputs so it makes the jet handle like trash. What it should actually do is act as an always-on attitude hold. The control stick itself has a little play between it and the extension, and there are 8 (4 sets of 2) microswitches that press against the inside cup of the stick extension when the pilot exerts pressure on the stick. These are there to disconnect the autopilot when the stick is moved deliberately, and then reengage it when pressure is released. You're flying along in attitude hold, you move the stick, the jet responds how you would expect it to, you release the stick, the jet now stays where you've pointed it (though the system loses accuracy with extreme pitch or bank angles). It will also roll the wings level if you are within a couple of degrees of the horizon when you release the stick. From the verbal description in the manuals, it's about as close as you're getting to autotrim in that era, though I don't know if it has a means of coping with things like asymmetrical loadouts or not as the way the AP is currently modelled does not even in recovery mode.

Currently the aircraft does have an attitude hold modelled, but you have to engage stab mode and then press an additional bind (this does not exist on the real aircraft) to engage it. It then needs to be disconnected manually, it can't be done by stick movement nor regain control after it like the similar systems on Viggen or Mirage 2000.

Edited by rossmum
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 5

Not to start another debate and I have read through the comments. So if you don’t own it already, just hold off? I was thinking about getting it during the sale. I have the F-5, Viggen, C-101 and F-1. Should I hold on this one? I don’t want get something if it’s going to be disappointing. However, I can live through some quarks if it’s still fun to fly.

2 hours ago, Iron Sights said:

Not to start another debate and I have read through the comments. So if you don’t own it already, just hold off? I was thinking about getting it during the sale. I have the F-5, Viggen, C-101 and F-1. Should I hold on this one? I don’t want get something if it’s going to be disappointing. However, I can live through some quarks if it’s still fun to fly.

It is fun to fly, a lot, it cannot be disappointing unless you're nitpicky as hell. Do with that info as you please.

• Like 1

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Whatever is accurate or non-accurate, a lot of people love and fly the MiG-21 any way, me included. Let's hope they keep supporting it and/ -or release some kind of overhaul for it, paid or non-paid because it surely deserves it. Great module, warts and all.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, badger7966 said:

....so whats the deal ?

the deal? .. that there are users who will never be satisfied with anything less than perfection, users that demand military simulator accuracy on a 50 bucks product, ... if you belong to those groups then maybe you should skip on it.

Myself? ... I enjoyed this aircraft a lot, it had enough fidelity that I was able to use the manual of the real thing for most of the flight operation, only the weaponry and radar had to be learned from DCS manual, as I couldn't find the real ones in english. Here is a video of a short training mission that I did back in the day, to give you an idea of how well it works:

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Gents, the two programmers are so busy with the F4U testers, that we cannot dedicate the time needed to fix a lot of the major issues just yet.  We've mentioned fixes will be coming, but most are worth redoing as we develop the new MiG-21.

We're fully aware of most issues, both graphicly and logically.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 8

https://magnitude-3.com/

https://www.facebook.com/magnitude3llc

https://www.youtube.com/@magnitude_3

i9 13900K, 128GB RAM, RTX 4090, Win10Pro, 2 x 2TB SSD

i9 10980XE, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090Ti, Win10 Pro, 2 x 256GB SSD, 4 x 512GB SSD RAID 0, 6 x 4TB HDD RAID 6, 9361-8i RAID Controller

i7 4960X, 64GB RAM, GTX Titan X Black, Win10 Pro, 512GB PCIe SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD

Am 30.9.2022 um 23:32 schrieb -Rudel-:

Gents, the two programmers are so busy with the F4U testers, that we cannot dedicate the time needed to fix a lot of the major issues just yet.  We've mentioned fixes will be coming, but most are worth redoing as we develop the new MiG-21.

We're fully aware of most issues, both graphicly and logically.

Sounds good! I think nobody have a problem to wait a little bit longer. Most people are aware of how much work there is to do. It's always better to take your time and do it right.

Just a question for understanding. By "new" Mig-21 you mean the big overhaul?

Edited by Germane
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Im very happy with the 21......the radar could be better or easier...but if its like the real thing I have no crib.....and those bloody mid flight engine failures....im slowly getting my head around that.....fantastic module.My other favourite module is the Hind.

• Like 1

This machine (MiG-21SMT (type 50)), which differed from its predecessor by a large overhead fuel tank, appeared in early 1971. Thanks to this , the fuel reserve was increased to 3250 liters .

At the beginning, an overhead fuel tank with a capacity of (900L) was installed on the MiG-21SMT. The tank is divided by a hermetic barrier into two compartments: the front with a capacity of 650L and the rear with a capacity of 250L. The rear compartment is produced simultaneously with the wing tanks-compartments. On MiG-21SMT aircraft with serial number 50-MM07, an overhead fuel tank with a capacity of 530 liters was installed. The design of which is similar to a similar tank on aircraft types "50 bis" and "75".

To compensate for the increased weight, the R13F-300 engine was installed with an emergency mode. This made it possible to increase thrust by 1,900 kgf in flight near the ground at the speed of sound compared to the first afterburner mode of the P13-300 engine.

The armament consisted of one built-in GSH-23L cannon, K-13 or R-60 and R-60M air-to-air missiles for close combat and/or UB-16 and UB-32 NURS units, C-24 unguided air-to-ground missiles, bombs.

In 1971, the Gorky Aviation Plant produced the first 116 serial machines (type "50"). But the hopes pinned on her by the military did not materialize. Heavy, with noticeably deteriorated maneuverability, the fighter was released in the amount of 281 pieces and did not leave a noticeable trace in aviation.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 10/4/2022 at 6:20 AM, Ala13_ManOWar said:

🤣🤣🤣 Hope not!! SMT is ugly as hell…

I'm picking up the MiG-21 after a long time not flying it and I was curious about this announced new version, but could not find any info, is SMT actually confirmed?

I did a quick read on the variants, and what I could find is that the SMT was extremely unpopular due do the worsened handling caused by the additional fuel tank on the "spine", most were rebuilt with a smaller tank and redesignated MiG-21ST, visually identical to the bis.
So, I hope we'd be getting the SMT, but the ST, which is the same as the SMT (as far as I understand) system-wise, but flies better and less ugly.

3 hours ago, PiedDroit said:

I'm picking up the MiG-21 after a long time not flying it and I was curious about this announced new version, but could not find any info, is SMT actually confirmed?

No, it was just a joke... Some gfx and system tweaks for current Bis are planned, however, for some unspecified future after F4U is out.

• Thanks 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.