Long time owner disappointed

Muddy17

On 12/1/2022 at 8:44 AM, PiedDroit said:

I'm picking up the MiG-21 after a long time not flying it and I was curious about this announced new version, but could not find any info, is SMT actually confirmed?

I did a quick read on the variants, and what I could find is that the SMT was extremely unpopular due do the worsened handling caused by the additional fuel tank on the "spine", most were rebuilt with a smaller tank and redesignated MiG-21ST, visually identical to the bis.
So, I hope we'd be getting the SMT, but the ST, which is the same as the SMT (as far as I understand) system-wise, but flies better and less ugly.

It was a joke. There aren't any apparent plans for future MiG-21 variants at this time that are publicly known.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

On 12/8/2022 at 9:30 PM, MiG21bisFishbedL said:

It was a joke. There aren't any apparent plans for future MiG-21 variants at this time that are publicly known.

Haha thanks, this one wooshed over my head.
Good to know there's some updates planned, still one of if not my favorite module en the roster.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got the 21 coming up again on free trial in a few hours.  Going to give it another go. During the last sale I bought it on Steam... and retuned it after less than two-hours. (Blasphemy!) One of the things that bugged me was the double click on the mouse center button to enable free look and I couldn't get around that. Guess I missed something. Also, the cockpit looked antiquated. Maybe I was just in a pissy mood, who knows.

That said...

The last time I had it on free trial I thought it was very cool and had tons of character. At least I have a week with the plane to decide before the sale ends. And if there is an overhaul coming, and my F-15E is still on the burner, maybe it's $30 well spent.

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

10 hours ago, Beirut said:

Hopefully they will revamp some of the bindings in their 2.0 update (many controls can't be bound to controller at all, or lack a "X or else Y" binding option).
For what it's worth, mouse cockpit mode is not only double click on the mouse center button, on keyboard it is LAlt+LShift+C by default, and can also be bound to a controller button.

1 hour ago, PiedDroit said:

Hopefully they will revamp some of the bindings in their 2.0 update (many controls can't be bound to controller at all, or lack a "X or else Y" binding option).
For what it's worth, mouse cockpit mode is not only double click on the mouse center button, on keyboard it is LAlt+LShift+C by default, and can also be bound to a controller button.

Yeah, I must have had a massive brain fart when I wrote that. I just downloaded the 21 on the free trial and it's the side to side motion that is controlled by the mouse click. Left Alt + C enables free look. 

Anyway, I have the plane with the English gray cockpit mod and it's good fun so far.

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

• 3 months later...

I also have the 21 since the beggining, when Leatherneck was complete, in fact was the reason of why I get using DCS, but since a few years I do not use it anymore due the lack of mantainance.

Recently my only wish is that the F4U get released and then probably have to wait a few years of slowly patches, and not cuz I am interested in the Corsair module at all, even being it a plane wich I like, but cuz I still have some hope that the MiG gets the maintanance it deserves.

Edited by Fortinero
  • Like 11

Wasnt the "surprising" agility mostly compared to other interceptor aircraft like pre-slats F-4 phantoms? The Mig-21 was quite agile for an early cold war interceptor design, and that seems to be mirrored in the DCS Mig-21. Turns better than a Mirage-F1 in DCS (if that didnt change), or the later Mig-23.

Its still not a dogfighter and cant turn like an F-5, which IIRC soviets even commented on as an aircraft that would be very difficult to fight for them.

Tbh, maybe im just too casual, but when I recently tried the Mig-21, I didnt see a dealbreaker. Sure, the gunsight is too powerful, the radar is too reliable, maybe some systems arent exactly like they should. The RWR seemed fine, but its hard to tell, since its not very useful anyway.

In general though the Mig-21 delivered a great flying experience, it had a lot of interesting if primitive systems built in, and is one of the things that made me excited for more early to mid cold war planes like the F-4E.

Edited by Temetre
  • Like 3

• 6 months later...

I do not install it anymore but have gotten over it a long time ago.

Like others said before, this was the first module developed externally, it was exciting when it came out and probably got a lot of folks into DCS.

As to the state it is on now .. I would love if someone did a new Mig 21 new. But I'm not salty.

• Like 6