Voice command

upyr1

1 hour ago, upyr1 said:

I know there is a third party utility to do this, I can't remember the name. So if you post a link that would be fine, but it would be nice to have voice command 

Voice Attack Vaicom is wat you can use now

(Although it seems more and more to have become abandonware unfortunately)

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

1 hour ago, upyr1 said:

both what i was trying to find and what I feared 

Well, to emphasize, I'm definitely not sure if VAICOM is to be considered abandonware, but the fact is that after about 3,5 months VAICOM is still not working for our Apache and (please anyone correct me if I'm wrong) the dev hasn't been heard from since.

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

1 hour ago, MAXsenna said:

VoiceAttack with the VAICOM plugin. 

@MAXsenna you seem to be quite proficient with VAICOM. It looks very interesting to me - do you have a recommendation? Worth it? That bit about Abandonware true?  Pros/Cons? I'm VR-only, with Bug, Hog, Shark and Huey being my main modules, I already own VA.

Edited by cfrag
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cfrag said:

@MAXsenna you seem to be quite proficient with VAICOM. It looks very interesting to me - do you have a recommendation? Worth it? That bit about Abandonware true?  Pros/Cons? I'm VR-only, with Bug, Hog, Shark and Huey being my main modules, I already own VA.

Not sure if I'm allowed to answer, as you're asking MAXsenna specifically 😋, but here's my experience anyway:

VAICOM works very well for the mentioned modules (Bug, Hog, Shark and Huey) and in fact as far as I'm aware, only doesn't work for the Apache right now.

Installation is quite easy, although initially you might have to fiddle with all the options a little bit to get it to your likings. Once setup it really is a game changer. No more hassle with trying to find the F-keys or use your mouse to operate the radio whilst flying in VR. Especially ideal during AAR or CASE I-II-III procedures. As a non native English speaking person I was surprised how incredibly well VA recognizes my speech. I only did the recognition test once and it hears everything I say. I can even whisper and it still catches my orders (I sometimes need to be quiet, not to wake up my daughter 😅).

I also use the kneeboard extension, which is ideal for JTAC ops and (again) CASE I, II and III landings.

Only downsides I experienced:

• Troubles after DCS updates. It seems to be really important to first start up VA VAICOM after a DCS update, before you fire up DCS itself. (I had all kind of issues before, but since I do it this way, I can't say I've had any)
  • Active support from the dev (or in fact lack off). But perhaps there's an explanation for this that we don't know yet (it's not a big company)
  • Thanks 2

System specs:

@cfrag

Pretty much everything @sirrahsaid.

It seems like it's abandonware right now. BUT if you do have VoiceAttack already, (you should anyway 😉), you can install VAICOM and test it. Even so it's not actually expensive for the whole package. 

Truly, I cannot "live" without it. Some newer modules have issues, like the Apache. But the Mirage F1 works like a charm (at least on an older version), except for the kneeboard extension. But that is probably on Aerges, as the C-101 has the same issue. And they are the only two modules with that issue. 

One super cool thing about VAICOM (exposed variables), is that you can make ordinary VA commands, and depending on the module, VAICOM can make VA issue different keystrokes. Like "gear up" is different from module to module, but VAICOM handles that. Also, I use various different hardware with different PTT buttons. VAICOM handles that as well. 

I really hope @Hollywood_315 is okay, and will get in touch with us soon. It will be a shame if VAICOM ventures off to oblivion.

In any case. I don't think you'll regret the purchase. And it will probably work until the new ATC is released. Download the manual, it might be one of the best manuals I've ever seen. 

Little note. Neither VAICOM or VoiceAttack does the voice to text. It's Microsoft Speech Recognition that's included with Windows. VAICOM only uses VoiceAttack as a gateway, and VAICOM does not send keystrokes. It communicates with DCS directly through the export.lua Hence it will break your tracks. 

Fun fact. I was "encouraging" @sirrah for about a year, to try out VAICOM. Seems he doesn't regret taking the plunge. 😉

Cheers! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1