Can we get rid of the radar?

Rongor

This is the crappiest radar I saw in any of my DCS module so far. I can't even detect a MiG21 which is in visual range ahead of my nose. It's basically blind.

Can we get rid of it to enjoy a lighter aircraft This way we then maybe can at least make flying this brick a bit more enjoyable...

Edited by Rongor
  • Like 3

• Rongor changed the title to Can we get rid of the radar?
2 hours ago, Rongor said:

This is the crappiest radar I saw in any of my DCS module so far. I can't even detect a MiG21 which is in visual range ahead of my nose. It's basically blind.

Can we get rid of it to enjoy a lighter aircraft This way we then maybe can at least make flying this brick a bit more enjoyable...

For once, I found the radar performances pretty decent... the visual render may need a little love (the green appear a bit artifical, analogical display a little "too perfect", but these are details). I don't know the performances of the real Cyrano IV, but I think indeed you should not expect outstanding performances...

It is able to lock a target at ~30 nm, IF you look up in the sky, if you look to the ground, this become harder.  If you set the scanning mode to BPZ TEL (the little switch very well hidden on the left wall, "Telemeter/zone scanning switch" in controls) you should be able to lock (automatically) anything in visual range in front of you. (Why the hell enginers placed this switch at this odd place ?)

Edited by sedenion
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• ED Team
59 minutes ago, Rongor said:

Please keep the feedback constructive, I would suggest you add a track replay showing an example, maybe the other F1 guys can give you some pointers. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

34 minutes ago, sedenion said:

If you set the scanning mode to BPZ (the little switch very well hidden on the left wall, "Telemeter/zone scanning switch" in controls) you should be able to lock (automatically) anything in visual range in front of you. (Why the hell enginers placed this switch at this odd place ?)

It's because it's conveniently located next to the pilot's hand resting on the throttle. Dogfight switch in the F-14 is in a similar location.  

• Like 11

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

41 minutes ago, sedenion said:

Why the hell enginers placed this switch at this odd place ?

These days we take the HOTAS concept for granted, but it wasn't always a thing. If I remember correctly, the first jet that really made use of it was the F-15.

For its day the Mirage F1 designers and pilots probably thought the placement of that switch was a pretty good solution.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Rongor said:

Welcome to the early 70's sir...

• Like 10

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

2 hours ago, Rongor said:

Fly F18 if you want a full fletched out radar... 

• Like 1

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

6 hours ago, joey45 said:

Welcome to the early 70's sir...

Indeed, Joey45. And when you consider the age of the Cyrano IV radar and the fact that France was a little bit behind the US at that time when it comes to more sophisticated radar thechnology I think France actually fitted the F1 with quite a capable package. The Cyrano can do a lot of things surprisingly well. That said, the Cyrano IV is actually quite decent in DCS and I have absolutely zero problems finding targets with it. Why? Because I know exactly what it can do and what it cannot do. I think, people need to understand that the F1 is no F16. Also, people need to understand that radar technology from the 60s or 70s has very severe limitations concerning its overall capabilities but once you know how to handle this technology it can actually perform very well in the right hands. And it does in DCS, too. If you fly on a certain Cold War server where everyone and his mother is flying treetop level just do not expect this radar to perform well. It just will not do that for you and this is totally realistic. Sure, AERGES still has some work to do on the Cyrano but this radar is absolutely usable and far from being crappy. And there is an old saying. Practice makes perfect, right? 😉🤙

Edited by Tango3B
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, Baaz said:

Can I request the Mirage F1's radar be used to upgrade the F-5's?

I mean, compared to the F-5's, this radar is gold.

I think for that, you would have to get a time machine and convince Northrop that the F-5 ought to be developed with a better radar system in mind.  🙃

The primary purpose of the F5 radar is for guns and sidewinders. It isn't BVR capable and can't even guide Aim-7 Sparrows.

The F1 has a reasonably good radar.  The range on the Cyrano IV is more than double that of the Sapfir in the Mig21,  but the Mig21 is a small target, even the modern jets like the f16 have difficulty picking them out at distance.

The Cyrano has look down capability, but that doesn't mean it's good at it.  PD Radars have an easier time finding targets against an empty sky than they do in ground clutter.  The mig21 is a smart design in that it doesn't let you point the radar dish down, probably with the idea that it wouldn't be able to distinguish contacts below you even if it could point down, so you're forced to search for targets above you.  

Also remember that TL mode is limited to ~7km, so you'll have to be pretty close to get a lock.

• Like 2

Modules: A10C, AV8, M2000C, AJS-37, MiG-21, MiG-19, MiG-15, F86F, F5E, F14A/B, F16C, F18C, P51, P47, Spitfire IX, Bf109K, Fw190-D, UH-1, Ka-50, SA342 Gazelle, Mi8, Christian Eagle II, CA, FC3

13 hours ago, Rongor said:

Speak for yourself, I've had no issues, and the fact you call this bird a brick makes me question your pilot abilities.

Maybe ask for help instead of blurting childish posts

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rongor said:

This is the crappiest radar …

Why did you purchased a 70’s aircraft instead of an F-16 or F-18 ? … what were you expecting?

• Like 9

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

11 hours ago, IvanK said:

The F1 manual states that TL mode scans from 400m to 6nm and locks on to the first target detected..... its basically a Boresight mode like other aircraft.

Page 86

It says 400-7000m 🤔

Screenshot_20220804-103725_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

Edited by felixx75
  • Thanks 3

Pretty clear in fact: The search area is between 0.2NM (400m) and 3.7NM (7km)... while the presented scale on the scope switches to its minimum range, which is 7NM (13km). What is confusing here, is that the scope scale is up to 7NM, while the actual search area is up to 7km (3.7NM). I guess CSF engineers designed radar internal computing and specifications in metric system then later created the displays and "user" parameters in NM to fit aeronautic standards.

Edited by sedenion
  • Like 2

The radar is actually not bad.  You just have to know how to use it.  It is only really effective on a closing target inside 40nm.   

The radar isn't like modern easy to use radars.  It scans pretty slow but if you cut it down to 30deg scan it's pretty quick.  Just know that on left hand sweeps it's above right hand below.  And sweeps 3 and 4 are closest to level with you.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, felixx75 said:

Page 86

It says 400-7000m 🤔

Screenshot_20220804-103725_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

9 hours ago, sedenion said:

Pretty clear in fact: The search area is between 0.2NM (400m) and 3.7NM (7km)... while the presented scale on the scope switches to its minimum range, which is 7NM (13km). What is confusing here, is that the scope scale is up to 7NM, while the actual search area is up to 7km (3.7NM). I guess CSF engineers designed radar internal computing and specifications in metric system then later created the displays and "user" parameters in NM to fit aeronautic standards.

Yeah thats the Aerges manual, how about the real Cyrano manual
1b5c04c56f2c47cf5f58c5536a59345a.png
Or how about the real flight manual
unknown.png
f98c20fdd4ecbcea7757ad592d5fe112.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

its only unfortunate that the Mirage F1 doesn't have IFF interrogate capability with the radar, when it was common for other aircraft to have such functions in that timeframe.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Just now, Kev2go said:

its only unfortunate that the Mirage F1 doesn't have IFF interrogate capability with the radar, when it was common for other aircraft to have such functions in that timeframe.

Its not such a problem right now, but once we get the S530F I REALLY hope we have an AWACS Declare option, we will need it.

• Like 2