Can we get rid of the radar?

Rongor

4 hours ago, Kev2go said:

its only unfortunate that the Mirage F1 doesn't have IFF interrogate capability with the radar, when it was common for other aircraft to have such functions in that timeframe.

Maybe the French just assumed no one was a friend. :dunno:

7 hours ago, Cab said:

Maybe the French just assumed no one was a friend. :dunno:

I think this was indeed something like this. Mirage F1 was developed during a time France were more NATO independent and probably rather thought of internal territory protection rather than extra-territory intervension and probably even lesser of coordinated operations with other country. In this context, the air defense protocol is basicaly : detect incoming intruder (usually a bomber) -> send interceptor, destroy the threat... no need IFF in such case.

Edited by sedenion
  • Like 2

On 8/2/2022 at 7:24 AM, Rongor said:

This is the crappiest radar I saw in any of my DCS module so far. 

What are your expectations? This radar performs as it should due to it's technology era.

Stick to FC3 F-15 or more modern radars that are faster to detect contacts and target them.

But if you want a challenge stick to 70s tech.

This Radar performs as expected and it's not crappy, now you need to use it's advantages and know it's limitations.

Edited by cubanace
  • Like 1

On 8/2/2022 at 1:36 PM, some1 said:

It's because it's conveniently located next to the pilot's hand resting on the throttle. Dogfight switch in the F-14 is in a similar location.  

Hello,

Which exactly is the Dogfight switch in the F-14 ?

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

16 minutes ago, TLTeo said:

I assume they refer to the switch used to toggle between VSL Hi/Lo and PAL modes.

9 minutes ago, Cab said:

Exactly. The Target Designate Switch on page 24 of the manual.

Oh I see, thank you.

(I was getting confused as from what I recal only the F-16 does have a Dogfight switch.)

In the F-14 I call those the Close Combat Radar modes, or something.

Edited by Top Jockey

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

1 hour ago, Top Jockey said:

(I was getting confused as from what I recal only the F-16 does have a Dogfight switch.)

I think so, too. 

And "Dogfight switch" sounds so cool I wouldn't be surprised if General Dynamics (now Lockheed) trademarked the name. :smoke:

On 8/2/2022 at 6:24 AM, Rongor said:

This is the crappiest radar I saw in any of my DCS module so far. I can't even detect a MiG21 which is in visual range ahead of my nose. It's basically blind.

Can we get rid of it to enjoy a lighter aircraft This way we then maybe can at least make flying this brick a bit more enjoyable...

Perhaps DCS "Game Mode" is better suited for your talents?

• Like 6

On 8/2/2022 at 5:24 AM, Rongor said:

This is the crappiest radar I saw in any of my DCS module so far. I can't even detect a MiG21 which is in visual range ahead of my nose. It's basically blind.

Can we get rid of it to enjoy a lighter aircraft This way we then maybe can at least make flying this brick a bit more enjoyable...

Honestly, the radar as currently modeled is actually most likely way too good. 

The main thing to understand is that this is not a pulse doppler radar. It is a pulse radar with MTI filtering, which has a bunch of consequences none of which are modeled, i.e. the radar will be blind to several speeds being a key one and it will have far more clutter than a PD radar (though pretty much all PD radars should have some clutter/false targets in some circumstances). In the case of the Cyrano you can find videos of it in actual use and you would be amazed how terrible that actually looks, its like trying to pick out an AC signal from clutter that is just as strong as that signal, I posed the vid in another thread a while back. Also pilot accounts basically credit the Cyrano with almost no functional look-down capability despite the MTI filtering. To me the "clutter texture" they are using is what it should likely look like at high altitude looking mostly straight ahead with minimal clutter reflections.  So it should be way more challenging to actually use than it currently is. From the Update Vibora posted it looks like they will be "improving" some of this, so hopefully it becomes "less useful" in look down. It should be fairly decent in look up modes however and it had a fair amount of success in that regard versus the Iranians.   

If you are mathematically inclined you can get some idea what the clutter returns/SNR should look like by using this. Though this simulation is likely a best case scenario given that the Cyrano used mostly analog electronics for the MTI filtering. 

https://www.mathworks.com/help/radar/ug/generate-clutter-and-target-returns-for-mti-radar.html

• Like 2

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

On 8/2/2022 at 6:24 AM, Rongor said:

how about you just don't use it? pretty simple to leave it off.

Ive watched all the vids.....several times....and I cant pick up nothing on that radar.

What am I doing wrong......Even when directed by a GCI I cant see <profanity>.....a lot of you are getting success so I guess its down to me.

Also....for the ground radar im getting nothing either!!

1 hour ago, badger7966 said:

Ive watched all the vids.....several times....and I cant pick up nothing on that radar.

What am I doing wrong......Even when directed by a GCI I cant see <profanity>.....a lot of you are getting success so I guess its down to me.

Also....for the ground radar im getting nothing either!!

One pro tip is to try to get co-alt with targets, change the azimuth to 30 degrees, range to 35 or less. To lock you need to keep pressing the lock button until it locks.

Also the elevation controls are messed up, in delta D mode instead of 1 being 1000 ft, its 10,000. Its a known bug. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

On 8/4/2022 at 8:47 PM, Kev2go said:

its only unfortunate that the Mirage F1 doesn't have IFF interrogate capability with the radar, when it was common for other aircraft to have such functions in that timeframe.

That's why comms and buddy spike calls are always useful 🙂

• Like 1

Riesling | FR

Specs: i7 6700K / 32 Gb RAM / SSD /  GTX 1070 + Oculus Rift S  / Saitek Rudder Pedals / Thrusmaster TWCS + T16000M

3 hours ago, Riesling said:

Raygun raygun 😉 ITs coming back on MP servers.  Too bad alot of planes in CW don't have much in the way of RWRs

On 8/12/2022 at 8:57 AM, Riesling said:

29c.gif

• Like 2

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

On 8/4/2022 at 2:48 PM, Get_Lo said:

Its not such a problem right now, but once we get the S530F I REALLY hope we have an AWACS Declare option, we will need it.

yes true. R530's are pretty shorted ranged. only really useful against aircraft that dont have radar guided missiles of thier own, becausei im fairly certain even Mig23's with R23 or F4's with Aim7E's can outrange you. 

Super Matra 530F will be very desirable to have something that can can more resemble a "medium" range missile 

• Like 2

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

On 8/5/2022 at 8:28 AM, cubanace said:

What are your expectations? This radar performs as it should due to it's technology era.

Stick to FC3 F-15 or more modern radars that are faster to detect contacts and target them.

But if you want a challenge stick to 70s tech.

This Radar performs as expected and it's not crappy, now you need to use it's advantages and know it's limitations.

Radar performs too well TBH... But the list of coming improvements looks to include some granularity to the "noise" animations which should hopefully make it worse in the situations it should be bad. Its a bit basic relative to what raz did for the m2k, but like go fly that at low alt without the A filter, or look down with it, and thats a bit more of what this should work like. From the few images of the radar I have, it should be worse in lookdown, almost clean looking up, and probably pretty bad at low alt. 

Edited by Harlikwin
  • Like 2

To be fair, the only objection so far I could have is: How would I be supposed to reach all those knobs and switches at the bottom row with that scope covering the whole thing up? The only way to reach those is either reaching inside that thing and therefore not seeing any results of manipulation, taking the thing off on the ground (which most people here do probably) or unicorn magic.

• Like 1

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg