Combat Flaps ? How do they work ?

Grift-06
Go to solution Solved by jojo,

Hi everyone,

Just a question that I got since the EA of the mirage F1, but how to use those combat flaps ?

I mean, I don't even understand the controls and how does it look like while flying ? There are no pics or videos... any idea please ? (It might be helpful to dogfight)

combat.JPG

control.JPG

Edited by Grift-06
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Grift-06 said:

Hi everyone,

Just a question that I got since the EA of the mirage F1, but how to use those combat flaps ?

I mean, I don't even understand the controls and how does it look like while flying ? There are no pics or videos... any idea please ? (It might be helpful to dogfight)

Here is a discussion about it ... 

My understanding ...

The Combat Flaps BUTTON is what arms the combat flaps and allows them to auto-deploy within the speed restrictions.  The amber light will also go solid.  Beyond the speed restrictions, the combat flaps auto-retract and the amber light flashes.

The Combat Flaps LEVER simply disarms the combat flaps, preventing them from auto-deploying at all.

• Thanks 1

• Solution
59 minutes ago, kontiuka said:

The Combat Flaps LEVER simply disarms the combat flaps, preventing them from auto-deploying at all.

It also retracts combat flaps if deployed 😉
So essentially, you have one command to arm/ deploy (depending on speed) and one command to disarm/ retract: both on the throttle.

I agree it may looks complicated at first, but it's actually rather simple. 😇

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Somebody in the above linked thread clarified it. The High-Lift-Devices switch has to be in the "normal" mode (default). You arm/activate the combat flaps (which is an automatic partial release of the "landing flaps" depending on speed and AoA) with the "combat flaps button", and disarm/deactivate them with the "combat flaps lever". The "combat"-flaps will only extend below 300 kts. When above 300 kts they will retract and the yellow light will blink. If I understood correctly, you should disable them with the lever above 300 kts to get rid of caution lights.

@jojo was faster - nothing to add.

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

...and the leading edge devices will in all cases deploy automatically. Combat flaps armed (with the button) just allows automatic extension and retraction of the trailing edge flaps. Exceeding the speed for automatic use has no penalties that I'm aware of, they will retract automatically, but the upper left warning light begin to blink, and the HYPER caution will illuminate.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Is that stuff useful enough to bind it on the hotas?

Main-Module: F-16C, AH-64D

Maps: Syria, Persian Gulf, South Atlantic, Caucasus, 1944 Normandy, NTTR

Hardware: VKB Gunfighter mk.2 Pro, WinWing Orion F16, VKB T-Rudder, HP Reverb G2

PC Specs: Intel 13900K, ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-5800 RAM, GeForce RTX 4090, Win 11x64

It's essential for Dogfighting, but you don't need to operate it continously. So when you bind it to a toggle switch on a buttonbox or keyboard commands, it will probably work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

cant i just press it in the cockpit once and then leave it on for the rest of the flight? It will retract above 300kts from what ive read in this thread. I cant find it in the cockpit though

Main-Module: F-16C, AH-64D

Maps: Syria, Persian Gulf, South Atlantic, Caucasus, 1944 Normandy, NTTR

Hardware: VKB Gunfighter mk.2 Pro, WinWing Orion F16, VKB T-Rudder, HP Reverb G2

PC Specs: Intel 13900K, ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-5800 RAM, GeForce RTX 4090, Win 11x64

3 minutes ago, MarkP said:

cant i just press it in the cockpit once and then leave it on for the rest of the flight? It will retract above 300kts from what ive read in this thread. I cant find it in the cockpit though

You can, but you will get a warning and a caution light, if you leave it activated. I don't know if you can damage any system by leaving it activated.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MarkP said:

It's on the throttle. Both deploy/retract. It's two buttons. If you do the cold start training, or the take off one, it will tell you. 

Edited by MAXsenna