Post you IPD Setting

Germane

This thread is intended to give VR newcomers a little orientation as to what the best IPD setting is for the respective aircraft. Getting into VR is confusing enough and this will at least give you an idea of the right size ratio for your aircraft. For some reason I don't understand, almost every aircraft is optimised to a different value.

My settings are:
F14: 61
F16: 55

F18:  45  seems about right for me in relation to my controllers and viewing the hud and mfds. I did have to fine tune my head camera view just a touch

Ryzen7 5800X3D. 64 gb ram, 6950XT 16gb,  Winwing Orion F18, MFG Crosswind Rudder, 42 inch lg tv, Quest PRO

USN  VF31 F14A  AE2 1985-1989 CV 59 NAS Oceana

IL ANG 183FW/170FS F16 Block 30 Big Mouth 1989-2006 Full time tech Retired E8

55 in F18. I tried to get the stick size looking as close to mine as possible. And for humans standing on the apron looking as realistic size as possible.

Stalker_Signature.png

i9-11900K (Corsair water cooled); Z590; 64Gb Dominator 3466; Zotac Trinity OC RTX 4090; Soundblaster Z; Samsung 980 & 990 Pros; Pimax 8K X, 5K XR;

Winwing Orion 2 F/A-18 throttle, Winwing Orion 2 base with extension and F-15EX grip (from F/A-18 grip); Virpil Warbrd base (2x extensions) with TM Warthog grip, TM Warthog throttle; Ace-Flight Rudder Pedals, Control Panel #2; Simshaker Jetpad / HF8.

28 minutes ago, metzger said:

The IPD setting would vastly differ from person to person, and it is not even subjective opinion. It depends on the distance between your pupils of the eyes.

That is true for the IPD you set for the fresnell lenses on your headset. The Setting in DCS is not the same - don't get confused by the terminology. It scales the "world size". Putting in your real life inter pupil distance would lead to wrong cockpit sizes in different modules.

• Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

it's the same thing. You need to adjust the world scale because it looks too small/big to you due to your eyes. The number you set does not correspond to your phisical IPD cause it is software and it is just some number that ED came out with to adjust the distance at which they render the two images.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

40 minutes ago, metzger said:

it's the same thing. You need to adjust the world scale because it looks too small/big to you due to your eyes. The number you set does not correspond to your phisical IPD cause it is software and it is just some number that ED came out with to adjust the distance at which they render the two images.

No, because setting only the distance between your "virtual eyes" would affect your depth perception but not alter the size in every dimension (not only horizontaly but vertically).

Think about it for a moment. (Or don't, whatever... 🤗).

To elaborate what I mean. IPD in this context only alters the distance of your virtual eyes in the sense that if I would shrink you to half your size, the distance between your eyes would be the half as well. That would effectively scale the world around you to 200%. (making you a mouse or an elephant...😁)

If I would take on eye of yours and put an objekt in front of you, it would have a certain height (in arc minutes). The size of that objekt would only change, if I moved your eye closer to the object or further away. If I took your second eye and offset it to the side, this eye would see the object from a slightly different angle, but the size would stay the same.

Therefore - even if ED choose to name this option IPD (a little clumsy choice), it is effectively a scaling factor for the enviroment. (It shrinks or enlarges the whole pilot, not only his IPD).

Not all modules are scaled the same. I don't know why that is. But in order to have realisticly sized cockpits in all aircraft, one need to adjust IDP for every module.

That is why this thread makes absolutely sense!

Edited by Hiob

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

For me DCS seems to be right on with the scale, have not had a need to adjust in game IPD. At least for the Hornet or Apache which are the two I am currently flying. With any headset I have used so far. At least I don't think, hope I am remembering that right LOL.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

1 hour ago, Hiob said:

No, because setting only the distance between your "virtual eyes" would affect your depth perception but not alter the size in every dimension (not only horizontaly but vertically).

Think about it for a moment. (Or don't, whatever... 🤗).

To elaborate what I mean. IPD in this context only alters the distance of your virtual eyes in the sense that if I would shrink you to half your size, the distance between your eyes would be the half as well. That would effectively scale the world around you to 200%. (making you a mouse or an elephant...😁)

If I would take on eye of yours and put an objekt in front of you, it would have a certain height (in arc minutes). The size of that objekt would only change, if I moved your eye closer to the object or further away. If I took your second eye and offset it to the side, this eye would see the object from a slightly different angle, but the size would stay the same.

Therefore - even if ED choose to name this option IPD (a little clumsy choice), it is effectively a scaling factor for the enviroment. (It shrinks or enlarges the whole pilot, not only his IPD).

Not all modules are scaled the same. I don't know why that is. But in order to have realisticly sized cockpits in all aircraft, one need to adjust IDP for every module.

That is why this thread makes absolutely sense!

Then why different people need different value ? For me, with default value everything looks tiny small, while for other same setup looks fine or even the opposite ? And I mean for me it is quite obviously everything is tiny, it is not subjective even debatable. I have a fr who tested my PC and for him it scaling looked good.

If I put 61 as OP, regardless of the module, I feel like I am inside a toy plane 🙂 I am using low 40s and all modules look similarly fine.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

vor 37 Minuten schrieb dburne:

For me DCS seems to be right on with the scale, have not had a need to adjust in game IPD. At least for the Hornet or Apache which are the two I am currently flying. With any headset I have used so far. At least I don't think, hope I am remembering that right LOL.

I dont know the Apache but yeah, the f18 seams right. If you test the F16 you will notice that it seams strange and to small.

vor 3 Stunden schrieb metzger:

The IPD setting would vastly differ from person to person, and it is not even subjective opinion. It depends on the distance between your pupils of the eyes.

Hiob is right. In DCS, IPD scales the size. You notice it when you compare different modules. Some look way too big, others way too small and still others fit.

vor 21 Minuten schrieb BIGNEWY:

IPD in DCS of around 50 works best for me

Question: Why is that not standardised? Each module seems to be designed for a different value

• ED Team
17 minutes ago, Germane said:

Question: Why is that not standardised? Each module seems to be designed for a different value

peoples perception and preferences are different which is why we have the option for adjusting

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

1 hour ago, metzger said:

Then why different people need different value ?

Because it is a matter of perception and taste. Without a an object of reference it is hard to determine which size is „right“. (Edit: …and it may be, that different output devices give different feeling of „size“, that’s probably the reason, EDmade this option variable)

The approach of some people to reference to grip size or people makes sense to me.

To find one value, that generally fits you, is an equally valid approach.

Edited by Hiob

vor 4 Stunden schrieb BIGNEWY:

peoples perception and preferences are different which is why we have the option for adjusting

Okay I understand why there is the option to change it but why is there no default setting? I mean there is one setting where the scale is correct. That would avoid a lot of testing and trouble

• ED Team
15 minutes ago, Germane said:

Okay I understand why there is the option to change it but why is there no default setting? I mean there is one setting where the scale is correct. That would avoid a lot of testing and trouble

The default setting is there, it is the unticked setting, when you tick it and use the slider you are adjusting the default

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I never had to touch that setting and it’s been unchecked from the get go. Everything looks perfectly normal. It’s uncheck at 63.5

Edited by Burt

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

21 hours ago, Burt said:

I never had to touch that setting and it’s been unchecked from the get go. Everything looks perfectly normal. It’s uncheck at 63.5

Same, Im so sorry I found this thread cause now I wonder if I need to tweak this.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

This setting would be very subjective depending on each individual.

There is no good answer as to whether one should use it or not. Use what looks about right for you.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Am 5.8.2022 um 22:25 schrieb BIGNEWY:

The default setting is there, it is the unticked setting, when you tick it and use the slider you are adjusting the default

Would it be possible in a future update to make the setting module-specific rather than "global", so that each value for each individual aircraft is being "remembered" by DCS? In other words, move the slider from the VR tab to the respective module tab in the GUI? 

That way, users could set the individual values once (for the respective airframe) and not have to change (and remember) settings every time they switch modules. 

Edited by Jayhawk1971
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jayhawk1971 said:

Would it be possible in a future update to make the setting module-specific rather than "global", so that each value for each individual aircraft is being "remembered" by DCS? In other words, move the slider from the VR tab to the respective module tab in the GUI? 

That way, users could set the individual values once (for the respective airframe) and not have to change (and remember) settings every time they switch modules. 

This

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

• 2 weeks later...

I keep it on 44. I had it on 46 and it was good there too but after a while it did start feeling a bit small. 

I find the best way besides matching your stick size and leg size/length is to load on to caucus on start or ramp. Taxi to a cargo jet. They will look way to small.. Remember how big these jets really are. If you were in the cockpit and looked at your wing tips, missiles, and stabilizers just try to imagine exactly how big they would be. 

For the quest 2 I find anywhere from 42-46 is ideal. 44 being the sweet spot. It takes a bit getting used to if you're used to the smaller scale but once you do you'll notice how much better the MFD's are, checking your 6, and less cockpit switch and control error.