Leap motion or alternative

Viciam1

• ED Team

Hi, 

I use leap motion, it can be a little fiddly but when it works right it is a handy tool. I use it for pushing buttons and flicking switches. 

I dont use it for controlling throttles or sticks, I use my HOTAS for that. 

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

11 minutes ago, Viciam1 said:

Hi guys,

I use vr in dcs and was thinking about being able to click buttons in the cockpit using my hands. So with that said does anyone have any experience with leap motion? Is it worth it and does it work smooth? 

I have mouse buttons assigned to the hotas and then move the mouse cursor with my head. Very easy and effective for the upper part of cockpit (MFD's and switches around), and 100% hands on throttle and stick solution )). Also, I have physical switches on the side consoles, and when needed click them with my hands (have my face mask cut out for that purpose.

i5-9600K@4.8GHz 32Gb DDR4 Asus TUF rtx3080 OC Quest Pro Warthog on Virpil base

Leap user here as well, there are some niggles but by and large it works really well once it's setup properly. Push buttons and toggle switches work really well, rotaries work but can be a bit trickier.

A lot of it is muscle memory but I'm now generally faster with leap motion than I am grabbing the mouse and getting the cursor onto the control and then clicking. I bind mouse controls to my hotas (warthog pinky paddle switch as a modifier for the CMS switch) so I can still click buttons that don't play nice with the leap.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

Nothing noticable 🙂

There's a pinned thread in the input devices forum, have a read through that before you buy one (unless you find one for 30 quid on eBay like I did😁) as there are quite a lot of hoops to jump through before it's right.

• Like 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

41 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi, 

I use leap motion, it can be a little fiddly but when it works right it is a handy tool. I use it for pushing buttons and flicking switches. 

are all modules compatible with leap motion?

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

• ED Team
14 minutes ago, Ala12Rv-Tundra said:

Third party modules do not all support VR controllers, but Eagle Dynamics modules do. 

• Thanks 1

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

33 minutes ago, Ala12Rv-Tundra said:

From what I understand, ED have released the tools to integrate leap into the clickable cockpit but I think none of the 3rd part devs have made the leap(!) yet.  It's perfectly useable once you've figured out the foibles but the current implementation could be better, I would say it's about 85% there though.  I have noticed small improvements over the last few OBs so I think it's still in progress 🙂

1 hour ago, Topo said:

PointCTRL is another options, you can find somethings in this forum.

As of today, biggest issue with pointctrl is delivery date

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

5 hours ago, Ala12Rv-Tundra said:

As of today, biggest issue with pointctrl is delivery date

Yeah I waited right at a year for mine but it was so worth the wait. I could not imagine going without it now. Miles is making some production changes to hopefully shorten that lead time. It is so popular the orders just keep coming in it seems. I load up a mission, have my two FCU's attached to my forefingers, and just reach out and flip switches/dials. Very cool product.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

On 8/2/2022 at 5:01 PM, sea2sky said:

I have mouse buttons assigned to the hotas and then move the mouse cursor with my head. Very easy and effective for the upper part of cockpit (MFD's and switches around), and 100% hands on throttle and stick solution )). Also, I have physical switches on the side consoles, and when needed click them with my hands (have my face mask cut out for that purpose.

This hands down. I have no idea why more people dont utilize this technique.

Edited by hollywoodvillain

On 8/2/2022 at 9:51 PM, BIGNEWY said:

Hi, 

I use the Pimax 8K X and the hands are high like it expects the tracker at the top of the headset, but on the Pimax it attaches to the bottom. Is there any way of adjusting this please? I've had the hand tracking module for a while now and it works fine but is not usable in DCS due to my hands appearing so high.

Stalker_Signature.png

i9-11900K (Corsair water cooled); Z590; 64Gb Dominator 3466; Zotac Trinity OC RTX 4090; Soundblaster Z; Samsung 980 & 990 Pros; Pimax 8K X, 5K XR;

Winwing Orion 2 F/A-18 throttle, Winwing Orion 2 base with extension and F-15EX grip (from F/A-18 grip); Virpil Warbrd base (2x extensions) with TM Warthog grip, TM Warthog throttle; Ace-Flight Rudder Pedals, Control Panel #2; Simshaker Jetpad / HF8.

• ED Team
2 minutes ago, Simultaneous said:

I use the Pimax 8K X and the hands are high like it expects the tracker at the top of the headset, but on the Pimax it attaches to the bottom. Is there any way of adjusting this please? I've had the hand tracking module for a while now and it works fine but is not usable in DCS due to my hands appearing so high.

Not currently but I have requested a way to adjust the start position of the hands. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, BIGNEWY said:

Not currently but I have requested a way to adjust the start position of the hands. 

Thank you! This would be a great benefit for me, and I'm sure other Pimax owners.

I'm loving DCS more and more (since Su-27 Flanker) and every improvement you guys deliver. Keep up the good work.

Stalker_Signature.png

i9-11900K (Corsair water cooled); Z590; 64Gb Dominator 3466; Zotac Trinity OC RTX 4090; Soundblaster Z; Samsung 980 & 990 Pros; Pimax 8K X, 5K XR;

Winwing Orion 2 F/A-18 throttle, Winwing Orion 2 base with extension and F-15EX grip (from F/A-18 grip); Virpil Warbrd base (2x extensions) with TM Warthog grip, TM Warthog throttle; Ace-Flight Rudder Pedals, Control Panel #2; Simshaker Jetpad / HF8.

43 minutes ago, Simultaneous said:

I'm fairly certain that when I tested my leap below the headset it didn't offset the hand position within DCS. Similarly having it further or closer from the heads rotational axis didn't affect the position.

Check the position of the hands in the ultraleap visualiser, in my experience they appear in the same position in DCS.

Could it be to do with the pimax registering the centre of rotation? Perhaps it behaves differently with wmr?

3 hours ago, edmuss said:

I'm fairly certain that when I tested my leap below the headset it didn't offset the hand position within DCS. Similarly having it further or closer from the heads rotational axis didn't affect the position.

Check the position of the hands in the ultraleap visualiser, in my experience they appear in the same position in DCS.

Could it be to do with the pimax registering the centre of rotation? Perhaps it behaves differently with wmr?

No in the Leap Motion viewer they are perfect. I've seen other Pimax users report the same. It clearly looks like DCS is expecting the tracker on top of the headset and there is no way to adjust it. Not WMR, Open XR or Steam VR.

Edited by Simultaneous

Stalker_Signature.png

On 8/4/2022 at 6:48 AM, A.F. said:

let's be loud! Maybe then many will hear it 😉

I dont understand this post. I was just giving the OP another thumbs up to the solution that sea2sky and millions of others have suggested, by binding mouse buttons to the hotas and then simply looking at what you want to press. I think maybe I missed something...

Any hope of giving support to Quest 2 hand recognition?

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

My lad says that his quest2 hand tracking sucks compared to the leap motion 😄

• 5 months later...
On 8/4/2022 at 7:28 PM, BIGNEWY said:

Thank you BIGNEWY, ED, you did it! Vertical axis for hand tracking. I can now use it at last.

It's a bit janky but for UFC and MFD buttons, it works.

• Like 1

Stalker_Signature.png