CTD Out of memory (possible memory leak?)

umkhunto

On Syria, after around an hour, I CTD. This is on Syria MP, Operation Levant and GrayFlag. I'm not encoutering the same behaviour on other maps, even heavy missions like Hoggit servers on Caucuses and Persian Gulf. Attached DCS logs, dxdiag and track.

EDIT: The reason I think a memory leak is the problem, is when this crash happens, it doesn't just crash DCS, but it crashes all other applications, such as Discord, SRS, an open browser and even sometimes the entire desktop.

dcs.logDxDiag_20220803.txtGrayflag Syria A-20220802-230837.trk

Edited by umkhunto
  • Like 1

That will just increase the time it takes for the CTD to happen. This looks very much like a memory leak. DCS should only be able to use the memory that's available. If there isn't enough, it should crash DCS, or fail to load the mission, should be the end of it. What is happening when this crash happens is, it's crashing other applications as well, such as Discord, browser, and SRS, all due to being out of memory. I've had times where it even tanks Windows Desktop Manager.

Simply not having enough RAM doesn't cause that behavior. A memory leak causes that behavior.

Edited by umkhunto

I agree with you it shouldn't happen, but since it happens, you need a solution, right?

From my observations, DCS running the Syria map can take up to 50+ GB of memory, which means a large pagefile is mandatory unless your PC has 64 GB of RAM.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

I agree with umkhunto. Something is not right with current OB (maybe Stable to, since they are identical versions now). I havent been flying for quite a while due to heat and just vaccation, but have been working in the mission editor most of today, and quite quicky I felt it running worse than normal. Really handling the memory badly - I spent a lot of time in ME building missions, so my feeling for how its used to run is quite good, and also here it effects Windows desktop, browser, Discord, including 2 CTD's which are very very rare here, until today.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Knock-Knock

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Encountered a freeze because of VRAM memory leak yesterday. With a RTX3090 (24GB!)... Definitely something wrong with the latest update! (open Beta)

Edited by RealDCSpilot
  • Like 1

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

• ED Team

Syria VRAM issues have been reported for optimisation, however you should not be crashing.
I have a 3090 so it maybe difficult for me to reproduce, but I spent most of the weekend flying the AH-64D in MP Syria and had no crash. 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

@BIGNEWY It just happened again and has nothing to do with the Syria map. 4YA Cold War training on Caucasus, with 8 players online... Took maybe 30 minutes, game just halted. Logfile says nothing suspicious. Didn't have such problem for a very long time.

Zwischenablagebild (2).jpg

Edited by RealDCSpilot
  • Like 1

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules